linux newbie... - Powerpc

This is a discussion on linux newbie... - Powerpc ; Hi, While I'm experienced with Windoze and varying Mac OS' I have no Linux experience, but want to try it out. I plan to pick up an old iMac or some sort of PPC laptop to install on. What I'm ...

  1. linux newbie...

    Hi,
    While I'm experienced with Windoze and varying Mac OS' I have no Linux
    experience, but want to try it out. I plan to pick up an old iMac or
    some sort of PPC laptop to install on. What I'm looking for is a Linux
    distro good for a newbie, and easy enough to install/configure so I can
    give a copy to my mother for her Graphite iMac....

    I'm not too picky about complex installation/configs, but for my mom,
    it would have to be pretty basic, give her a simple to use desktop,
    TCP/IP, word processing, etc...

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Steve

  2. Re: linux newbie...

    On 2006-12-08, vz24_mauser@yahoo.com wrote:

    > While I'm experienced with Windoze and varying Mac OS' I have no Linux
    > experience, but want to try it out. I plan to pick up an old iMac or
    > some sort of PPC laptop to install on. What I'm looking for is a Linux
    > distro good for a newbie, and easy enough to install/configure so I can
    > give a copy to my mother for her Graphite iMac....

    Ubuntu has a ppc port. I'm not sure you'd want your mum to install
    it herself, though. Yellowdog is also popular.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: linux newbie...

    Keith Keller wrote:

    > On 2006-12-08, vz24_mauser@yahoo.com wrote:
    >

    >>While I'm experienced with Windoze and varying Mac OS' I have no Linux
    >>experience, but want to try it out. I plan to pick up an old iMac or
    >>some sort of PPC laptop to install on. What I'm looking for is a Linux
    >>distro good for a newbie, and easy enough to install/configure so I can
    >>give a copy to my mother for her Graphite iMac....

    > Ubuntu has a ppc port. I'm not sure you'd want your mum to install
    > it herself, though. Yellowdog is also popular.

    My preference is OpenSUSE 10.1. Seems a lot more polished than Yellow
    Dog or Fedora.

    Paul

  4. Re: linux newbie...

    Paul Russell wrote:
    > Keith Keller wrote:
    >
    > > On 2006-12-08, vz24_mauser@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >

    > >>While I'm experienced with Windoze and varying Mac OS' I have no Linux
    > >>experience, but want to try it out. I plan to pick up an old iMac or
    > >>some sort of PPC laptop to install on. What I'm looking for is a Linux
    > >>distro good for a newbie, and easy enough to install/configure so I can
    > >>give a copy to my mother for her Graphite iMac....

    > > Ubuntu has a ppc port. I'm not sure you'd want your mum to install
    > > it herself, though. Yellowdog is also popular.

    ubuntu is said to be dropping their ppc support (completely, when i
    don't know).
    yellow dog has a reputation for being a bit slow, as in behind. but it
    is ppc specialized and
    it is now the choice of Sony for playstation3, that is going to attract
    a lot of
    people.

    > My preference is OpenSUSE 10.1. Seems a lot more polished than Yellow
    > Dog or Fedora.

    my own preference has been for debian, although i also considered
    gentoo.
    gentoo has much better manuals but some people say they are hard to
    apply. i made my choice based official support in debian for older
    machines
    and also because my wireless just worked without any fuss. gentoo had
    some
    issues i could not figure out at the time. too bad because on the wired

    connection it looked really good, but i had to have the wireless. (this
    was
    a couple years ago, and also other people had problems with debians
    wireless support back then so perhaps it has all worked out now)

    i guess there is a gentoo now that runs in macosX like the fink project
    lets you install debian ports with Xwindows. but macosX is an open
    source
    unix and there is more and more opensource software available now for
    directly in it.

    also some people feel that open bsd or net bsd which are both free, are
    better supported on mac than linux, although once again they are not
    cutting edge.

+ Reply to Thread