Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear. - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear. - Powerpc ; Hi everybody! I've been working the last 2 days on installing Ubuntu on my 300 mHz iBook. I followed the manual and my linux installed perfectly, however now I'm unable to boot into OS 9. Here's what I did: Used ...

  1. Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    Hi everybody! I've been working the last 2 days on installing Ubuntu
    on my 300 mHz iBook. I followed the manual and my linux installed
    perfectly, however now I'm unable to boot into OS 9. Here's what I
    did:

    Used Drive Setup and made 4 partitions. The first is for the
    bootstrap, the second for root, the third is swap, and the fourth is
    Mac OS 9. The ubuntu installation guide and yaboot man recommended
    this setup. I installed Mac OS 9 and tested it (it worked) then
    installed linux. I manually selected the partitions so I know
    everything is in the right place, but after the install the drive seems
    to have disappeared. I booted a MacOS install CD and the partition
    wasn't even viewable anymore. It's still there but the (directory?)
    changed? Disk First Aid can't fix anything it doesn't see. I tried
    running "mac-boot" in Open Firmware without luck. Any ideas would be
    helpful.

  2. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    On Nov 26, 10:54 pm, "Pater Patriae" wrote:
    > Hi everybody! I've been working the last 2 days on installing Ubuntu
    > on my 300 mHz iBook. I followed the manual and my linux installed
    > perfectly, however now I'm unable to boot into OS 9. Here's what I
    > did:
    >
    > Used Drive Setup and made 4 partitions. The first is for the
    > bootstrap, the second for root, the third is swap, and the fourth is
    > Mac OS 9. The ubuntu installation guide and yaboot man recommended
    > this setup. I installed Mac OS 9 and tested it (it worked) then
    > installed linux. I manually selected the partitions so I know
    > everything is in the right place, but after the install the drive seems
    > to have disappeared. I booted a MacOS install CD and the partition
    > wasn't even viewable anymore. It's still there but the (directory?)
    > changed? Disk First Aid can't fix anything it doesn't see. I tried
    > running "mac-boot" in Open Firmware without luck. Any ideas would be
    > helpful.

    Have you tried to mount it in Ubuntu? Ubuntu includes HFS+ support.
    Use the terminal and command similar to this - # being your MacOS
    partition:

    mkdir /mnt/hda2
    mount /dev/hda# -t hfsplus -o ro /mnt/hda#

    make sure your installed didn't erase it.

  3. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    On Nov 28, 9:29 am, "Dirk.R.Gen...@gmail.com"
    wrote:
    > On Nov 26, 10:54 pm, "Pater Patriae" wrote:
    >

    > > Hi everybody! I've been working the last 2 days on installing Ubuntu
    > > on my 300 mHz iBook. I followed the manual and my linux installed
    > > perfectly, however now I'm unable to boot into OS 9. Here's what I
    > > did:

    > > Used Drive Setup and made 4 partitions. The first is for the
    > > bootstrap, the second for root, the third is swap, and the fourth is
    > > Mac OS 9. The ubuntu installation guide and yaboot man recommended
    > > this setup. I installed Mac OS 9 and tested it (it worked) then
    > > installed linux. I manually selected the partitions so I know
    > > everything is in the right place, but after the install the drive seems
    > > to have disappeared. I booted a MacOS install CD and the partition
    > > wasn't even viewable anymore. It's still there but the (directory?)
    > > changed? Disk First Aid can't fix anything it doesn't see. I tried
    > > running "mac-boot" in Open Firmware without luck. Any ideas would be
    > > helpful.Have you tried to mount it in Ubuntu? Ubuntu includes HFS+ support.

    > Use the terminal and command similar to this - # being your MacOS
    > partition:
    >
    > mkdir /mnt/hda2
    > mount /dev/hda# -t hfsplus -o ro /mnt/hda#
    >
    > make sure your installed didn't erase it.

    It's there! Phew appreciate it. I looked through all the folders, and
    opened text documents and everything seems to be in decent order. I
    have a problem still of not being able to boot this disk. Is there an
    HFS+ utility that can check the disk? My yaboot.conf points to the
    appropriate partition but only loads the white screen and then
    followed by a disk with a flashing question mark.

  4. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    Pater Patriae wrote:

    > have a problem still of not being able to boot this disk. Is there an
    > HFS+ utility that can check the disk? My yaboot.conf points to the
    > appropriate partition but only loads the white screen and then
    > followed by a disk with a flashing question mark.

    in debian there is a package called hfsplus that allows you to fsck
    and hfsplus disk. not knowing which kernel you are running --- this
    is just a suggestion. but debian and ubuntu are closely related.

    you might double check syntax in yaboot.conf and then run
    ybin again, or whatever the ubuntu equivalent that writes the
    boot partition.

    does the option key work ? what year is this ibook, do you know
    what is the open firmware version (if v3 it might be buggy).

    i have used both these methods with my 2000 powerbook, in debian.

  5. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    On Dec 1, 1:02 am, "tortoise" wrote:
    > Pater Patriae wrote:
    > > have a problem still of not being able to boot this disk. Is there an
    > > HFS+ utility that can check the disk? My yaboot.conf points to the
    > > appropriate partition but only loads the white screen and then
    > > followed by a disk with a flashing question mark.in debian there is a package called hfsplus that allows you to fsck

    > and hfsplus disk. not knowing which kernel you are running --- this
    > is just a suggestion. but debian and ubuntu are closely related.
    >
    > you might double check syntax in yaboot.conf and then run
    > ybin again, or whatever the ubuntu equivalent that writes the
    > boot partition.
    >
    > does the option key work ? what year is this ibook, do you know
    > what is the open firmware version (if v3 it might be buggy).
    >
    > i have used both these methods with my 2000 powerbook, in debian.

    Appreciate the response tortoise. I've been fiddling with this for a
    week and am not sure what I have to do. Good thing I like this Ubuntu
    or I would be concerned! Unfortunately others have to use this
    computer and I need to get MacOS9 running again. Didn't know about the
    hpfsck tool, Thats awesome. I do have everthing I believe correct in
    yaboot.conf and ybin'd it. I know the firmware is up-to-date and the
    option key does work. I'll try using hpfsck when I get home.

  6. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    Pater Patriae wrote:

    > week and am not sure what I have to do. Good thing I like this Ubuntu
    > or I would be concerned! Unfortunately others have to use this
    > computer and I need to get MacOS9 running again. Didn't know about the

    FYI, all:

    word has it that ubuntu is cancelling support for powerpc. the most
    similar
    remaining distro is debian, which ubuntu forked from. although
    switching
    would (i think) requires a reinstall, it should be similar enough to
    ubuntu that
    people would not have too much of a problem, getting used to it.

    although it is sometimes a pain, i have found debian helpful on older
    macs that have limited resources, getting better performance with
    less memory and disk space needed, than with mac os X, certainly more
    than os9 for most things although i too still prefer os9 sometimes.

    although i use all three, its peculiar, each seems missing something
    different.

  7. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    Hmm, that's the first I've heard of that. That be a bummer.
    Discarding PowerPC support just one year after Apple switches to Intel?
    Hopefully thats just myth. Linux, in general, has been so good about
    supporting earlier type computers and G4's and G5's have plenty of life
    in them.

    Oh, btw. In case you ever need it, I made this:

    HowTo check and repair HFSplus in Linux.
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...36#post1859336

  8. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    Pater Patriae wrote:
    > Hmm, that's the first I've heard of that. That be a bummer.
    > Discarding PowerPC support just one year after Apple switches to Intel?
    > Hopefully thats just myth.

    it was posted on the debian-powerpc mailing a few weeks ago. by ubuntu
    users i think.

    Linux, in general, has been so good about
    > supporting earlier type computers and G4's and G5's have plenty of life
    > in them.

    Well times are hard these days. debian and ubuntu both seem to have
    pressure
    to move forward, and the policy that organizes debian makes pressure to
    drop support for older "obsolete" hardware (that is debian is same on
    all
    arches and there is no "lite" option(s))

    The dominance of Intel is beginning to seem to me as disruptive as
    microsoft,
    more so in the open source arena.

    > Oh, btw. In case you ever need it, I made this:
    >
    > HowTo check and repair HFSplus in Linux.
    > http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthre...36#post1859336

    wow this cool, i know there are some debian people who would like
    this. i also
    think its cool that there is a reverse port apparently going on ie
    something came
    from darwin ports rather than from the usual routes.

  9. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    In article <1164603275.997962.128500@45g2000cws.googlegroups.c om>,
    "Pater Patriae" wrote:

    > Hi everybody! I've been working the last 2 days on installing Ubuntu
    > on my 300 mHz iBook. I followed the manual and my linux installed
    > perfectly, however now I'm unable to boot into OS 9.

    Finally!! There is someone else that has the same problem I ran into.
    I just installed Fedora Core 6 on my B&W G3. OS 9 would not boot. An
    OS 9 bootable utility disk could not see any partitions either. Driver
    Setup could see the disk but could not mount it.

    I have some more information that may provide more insight. My B&W G3
    has two hard disks. Both were formatted using Disk Utility from OS X
    10.4.8 making sure that the OS 9 disk drivers were installed. The one
    that I installed Fedora Core also contained an install of OS 10.4.8.
    The second disk contained 4 partitions with OS 10.4.8, 10.3.9, 10.2.8,
    and 9.1 installed. After I installed FC, everything worked fine with
    exception of OS 9. Mac OS X (all versions) saw all the partitions and
    booted properly when set up in yaboot.

    I reformatted the disk that did not contain FC and repopulated it with
    the different OSs. Everything worked fine -- including OS 9 from that
    disk. The OS 9 installation, however, still could not see the disk
    that contained FC and OS 10.4.8.

    My working hypothesis is that the Linux installer (disk druid?) somehow
    made the disk drivers invisible to OS 9 or it damaged the drivers. The
    partition listing for each disk shows the driver partitions are still
    there. I have no clue as to how to proceed. Perhaps with this
    additional information, someone can help us.

    I ran 'pdisk -lf' from OS 10.4.8. The output is below--with added
    comments. The first disk is not recognized by OS 9. The second disk
    was reformatted after I installed FC.

    mini:~ matt$ sudo pdisk -lf

    Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/rdisk0'
    #: type name length base (
    size )
    1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    2: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh 56 @ 64
    3: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh 56 @ 120
    4: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 56 @ 176
    5: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 56 @ 232
    6: Apple_FWDriver Macintosh 512 @ 288
    7: Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh 512 @ 800
    8: Apple_Patches Patch Partition 512 @ 1312
    9: Apple_Bootstrap untitled 2048 @ 1824 (
    1.0M)
    10: Apple_HFS "Next" 30871080 @ 31395368 (
    14.7G)
    11: Apple_UNIX_SVR2 untitled 204800 @ 3872
    (100.0M)
    12: Apple_HFS "Voyager" 93772880 @ 62528592 (
    44.7G) ###OS 10.4.8
    13: Linux_LVM untitled 31186696 @ 208672 (
    14.9G)
    14: Apple_Free Extra 262144 @ 62266448
    (128.0M)
    15: Apple_Free Extra 16 @ 156301472

    Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=156301488 (74.5G)
    DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
    Drivers-
    1: 23 @ 64, type=0x1
    2: 36 @ 120, type=0xffff
    3: 21 @ 176, type=0x701
    4: 34 @ 232, type=0xf8ff

    Partition map (with 512 byte blocks) on '/dev/rdisk1'
    #: type name length base (
    size )
    1: Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
    2: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh 56 @ 64
    3: Apple_Driver43*Macintosh 56 @ 120
    4: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 56 @ 176
    5: Apple_Driver_ATA*Macintosh 56 @ 232
    6: Apple_FWDriver Macintosh 512 @ 288
    7: Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh 512 @ 800
    8: Apple_Patches Patch Partition 512 @ 1312
    9: Apple_Free 262144 @ 1824
    (128.0M)
    10: Apple_HFS "Bach" 58348272 @ 263968 (
    27.8G) ###OS 10.4.8
    11: Apple_Free 262144 @ 58612240
    (128.0M)
    12: Apple_HFS "Mozart" 58348272 @ 58874384 (
    27.8G) ###OS 10.3.9
    13: Apple_Free 262144 @ 117222656
    (128.0M)
    14: Apple_HFS "Beethoven" 58348272 @ 117484800 (
    27.8G) ###Reserved for OS 10.2.8. My backup clone was corrupted.
    15: Apple_Free 262144 @ 175833072
    (128.0M)
    16: Apple_HFS "Strauss" 58346416 @ 176095216 (
    27.8G) ###OS 9.1
    17: Apple_Free 16 @ 234441632

    Device block size=512, Number of Blocks=234441648 (111.8G)
    DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
    Drivers-
    1: 23 @ 64, type=0x1
    2: 36 @ 120, type=0xffff
    3: 21 @ 176, type=0x701
    4: 34 @ 232, type=0xf8ff

    Matt

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  10. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    Matt Broughton wrote:

    > Finally!! There is someone else that has the same problem I ran into.
    > I just installed Fedora Core 6 on my B&W G3. OS 9 would not boot. An
    > OS 9 bootable utility disk could not see any partitions either. Driver
    > Setup could see the disk but could not mount it.

    ohh... (now i vaguely recall something like this did happen to me once)

    did you try using the button that says "update drivers" and then
    rebooting? of course, you may have problem there of 10.4 vs 9.

    another possibility is to copy install, on a fresh disk linux utility
    parted can do
    this. i don't know about 10.4 but i have done it with 10.3 also (my
    disk
    failed this past summer and also i was doing test install of a new
    installer...)

    > I have some more information that may provide more insight. My B&W G3
    > has two hard disks. Both were formatted using Disk Utility from OS X
    > 10.4.8 making sure that the OS 9 disk drivers were installed. The one
    > that I installed Fedora Core also contained an install of OS 10.4.8.
    > The second disk contained 4 partitions with OS 10.4.8, 10.3.9, 10.2.8,
    > and 9.1 installed. After I installed FC, everything worked fine with
    > exception of OS 9. Mac OS X (all versions) saw all the partitions and
    > booted properly when set up in yaboot.

    [snip]

    > My working hypothesis is that the Linux installer (disk druid?) somehow
    > made the disk drivers invisible to OS 9 or it damaged the drivers. The
    > partition listing for each disk shows the driver partitions are still
    > there. I have no clue as to how to proceed. Perhaps with this
    > additional information, someone can help us.
    >
    > I ran 'pdisk -lf' from OS 10.4.8. The output is below--with added
    > comments. The first disk is not recognized by OS 9. The second disk
    > was reformatted after I installed FC.

    i don't know how that "os9 drivers" thing is supposed to show up. but
    you know as far as apple is concerned it is pretty much out now, with
    intel mac.

    > mini:~ matt$ sudo pdisk -lf

    [snip]

  11. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    In article <1166163420.893916.20900@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.co m>,
    "tortoise" wrote:

    > Matt Broughton wrote:
    >
    > > Finally!! There is someone else that has the same problem I ran into.
    > > I just installed Fedora Core 6 on my B&W G3. OS 9 would not boot. An
    > > OS 9 bootable utility disk could not see any partitions either. Driver
    > > Setup could see the disk but could not mount it.

    > ohh... (now i vaguely recall something like this did happen to me once)
    >

    > did you try using the button that says "update drivers" and then
    > rebooting? of course, you may have problem there of 10.4 vs 9.

    Yippee!! That worked. I had completely forgotten about that function
    in Drive Setup. Hopefully that will also work for the OP.

    OS X doesn't use or install by default any disk drivers on the physical
    hard drive, so there should be no issue with compatibility using the OS
    9 supplied drivers.

    The only thing I am not sure about is whether the disk drivers installed
    by OS X 10.4.x were newer than those installed by Drive Setup in OS 9.1.
    This issue may only be of concern in my particular situation or anyone
    trying to run a replacement drive from the motherboard ATA connection on
    a Rev 1 B&W G3. The Rev 1 B&Ws have a major problem with data
    corruption in this case. I thought I had read that the OS X drivers
    alleviated this problem.

    Thanks for the help. I hope it works for the OP as well.

    Matt

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  12. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    Matt Broughton wrote:
    > In article <1166163420.893916.20900@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.co m>,
    > "tortoise" wrote:

    > > did you try using the button that says "update drivers" and then
    > > rebooting? of course, you may have problem there of 10.4 vs 9.

    > Yippee!! That worked. I had completely forgotten about that function
    > in Drive Setup. Hopefully that will also work for the OP.

    great, i'm glad.

    > OS X doesn't use or install by default any disk drivers on the physical
    > hard drive, so there should be no issue with compatibility using the OS
    > 9 supplied drivers.
    >
    > The only thing I am not sure about is whether the disk drivers installed
    > by OS X 10.4.x were newer than those installed by Drive Setup in OS 9.1.
    > This issue may only be of concern in my particular situation or anyone
    > trying to run a replacement drive from the motherboard ATA connection on
    > a Rev 1 B&W G3. The Rev 1 B&Ws have a major problem with data
    > corruption in this case. I thought I had read that the OS X drivers
    > alleviated this problem.

    is that why you are running 9.1 ? i think you can try the same trick
    with
    the drive setups that come with the 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updaters ?? i
    think if
    i looked at a disk that was orginally formatted with 9.1 but updated
    that
    way, in linux i saw a slightly different partition map setup than if i
    formatted with 9.2.2 originally, that is a few little partition in
    there with
    i/o kit, apple patches, and one other. that is perhaps the source
    of the overwrite, that some variation in the structure.

    > Thanks for the help. I hope it works for the OP as well.
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > --
    > Matt Broughton
    > Only relatives are absolute.

  13. Re: Linux install causes OS 9 to disappear.

    In article <1166311879.742268.161270@j72g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    "tortoise" wrote:

    > Matt Broughton wrote:
    > > In article <1166163420.893916.20900@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.co m>,
    > > "tortoise" wrote:

    > > The only thing I am not sure about is whether the disk drivers installed
    > > by OS X 10.4.x were newer than those installed by Drive Setup in OS 9.1.
    > > This issue may only be of concern in my particular situation or anyone
    > > trying to run a replacement drive from the motherboard ATA connection on
    > > a Rev 1 B&W G3. The Rev 1 B&Ws have a major problem with data
    > > corruption in this case. I thought I had read that the OS X drivers
    > > alleviated this problem.

    > is that why you are running 9.1 ? i think you can try the same trick
    > with the drive setups that come with the 9.2.1 and 9.2.2 updaters ??
    > i think if i looked at a disk that was orginally formatted with 9.1
    > but updated that way, in linux i saw a slightly different partition
    > map setup than if i formatted with 9.2.2 originally, that is a few
    > little partition in there with i/o kit, apple patches, and one other.
    > that is perhaps the source of the overwrite, that some variation in
    > the structure.

    When I double checked, the Drive Setup that was on my utility
    (customized to include a bunch of stuff) was the latest available from
    either 9.2.1 or 9.2.2.

    I still use OS 9.x a couple of times a year for certain functions that
    have not been satisfactorily addressed by OS X apps. As long as I still
    use or want access to OS 9.x, I want to be able to access all disks on
    the computer. The issue of using the OS 9 drivers supplied by OS X will
    become a non-issue if/when I find out how to get a Linux distro to boot
    from a disk attached to a Sonnett Tech ATA66 (ACARD) controller card. I
    think it is just a matter of open firmware syntax to properly point to
    the bootstrap partition and yaboot that I haven't yet figured out.

    Matt

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.