PowerPC 6400/200 now what? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on PowerPC 6400/200 now what? - Powerpc ; Hi all, I just got handed a PowerPC 6400/2000. The first time it booted it came up to MacOS 8.6 that has bee modified at least a little. It has 104M of ram and a 2.4G hd that is about ...

  1. PowerPC 6400/200 now what?

    Hi all,

    I just got handed a PowerPC 6400/2000. The first time
    it booted it came up to MacOS 8.6 that has bee modified
    at least a little. It has 104M of ram and a 2.4G hd that is
    about half full. It seems to have a lot of software on it but
    the biggest problem is that when using it, it hesitates every
    once in a while. Then it seems to catch up. I think it has
    a virus. I thought I could wipe it and start from scratch
    but I think this is one of the Macs that is too old to install
    Linux on its' own. I have no cd's for it and I am just
    starting on this journey. Any advice?

    My end goal is to just browse the Internet and do light
    emailing and wp.

    thanks,
    charles.....

  2. Re: PowerPC 6400/200 now what?

    On 2006-10-26, ***** charles wrote:

    > I just got handed a PowerPC 6400/2000. The first time
    > it booted it came up to MacOS 8.6 that has bee modified
    > at least a little. It has 104M of ram and a 2.4G hd that is
    > about half full. It seems to have a lot of software on it but
    > the biggest problem is that when using it, it hesitates every
    > once in a while. Then it seems to catch up. I think it has
    > a virus. I thought I could wipe it and start from scratch
    > but I think this is one of the Macs that is too old to install
    > Linux on its' own. I have no cd's for it and I am just
    > starting on this journey. Any advice?

    If it's a real PowerPC, then it's not too old for linux, even on its
    own, if you can find a copy of quik, the OldWorld bootloader. Older
    Debian distros included quik in their PPC installer (but IIRC didn't
    configure it properly, so had to be done from the boot CD commandline).

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: PowerPC 6400/200 now what?

    "Keith Keller"
    wrote in message news:qvi714x0h3.ln2@goaway.wombat.san-francisco.ca.us...
    > On 2006-10-26, ***** charles wrote:
    > >
    > > I just got handed a PowerPC 6400/2000. The first time
    > > it booted it came up to MacOS 8.6 that has bee modified
    > > at least a little. It has 104M of ram and a 2.4G hd that is
    > > about half full. It seems to have a lot of software on it but
    > > the biggest problem is that when using it, it hesitates every
    > > once in a while. Then it seems to catch up. I think it has
    > > a virus. I thought I could wipe it and start from scratch
    > > but I think this is one of the Macs that is too old to install
    > > Linux on its' own. I have no cd's for it and I am just
    > > starting on this journey. Any advice?

    > If it's a real PowerPC, then it's not too old for linux, even on its
    > own, if you can find a copy of quik, the OldWorld bootloader. Older
    > Debian distros included quik in their PPC installer (but IIRC didn't
    > configure it properly, so had to be done from the boot CD commandline).
    >
    > --keith
    >
    > --
    > kkeller-usenet@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us
    > (try just my userid to email me)
    > AOLSFAQ=http://www.therockgarden.ca/aolsfaq.txt
    > see X- headers for PGP signature information

    where do I get the software and instructions on how to use it?

    thanks......

  4. Re: PowerPC 6400/200 now what?

    ***** charles wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just got handed a PowerPC 6400/2000. The first time
    > it booted it came up to MacOS 8.6 that has bee modified
    > at least a little. It has 104M of ram and a 2.4G hd that is
    > about half full. It seems to have a lot of software on it but
    > the biggest problem is that when using it, it hesitates every
    > once in a while. Then it seems to catch up. I think it has
    > a virus.

    Quite unlikely - that is more typical for a hardware driver glitch.
    Deos it sport any third party hardware, like a RAGE128 video card?
    (That series is known to have issues)

    > I thought I could wipe it and start from scratch
    > but I think this is one of the Macs that is too old to install
    > Linux on its' own. I have no cd's for it and I am just
    > starting on this journey. Any advice?

    PPC Linux 2000 will run just fine. Or BeOS :-)
    Possibly some newer distro of, say, Ubunto, too.
    Just remember that you must have a small Mac partition
    with a boot loader and a minimized system on it.

    I think BeOS will run without a bootloader.
    I still have it on a EZ135 disk - but no 6400 any more :-(

    --
    I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
    to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

  5. Re: PowerPC 6400/200 now what?

    On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:11:27 GMT, "***** charles"
    wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I just got handed a PowerPC 6400/2000.

    Hi,

    best choice to make yourself familiar with your 6400
    would be

    also

    You`ll find some information about linux at PPC there also

    kr
    Wolfgang

  6. Re: PowerPC 6400/200 now what?

    "Wolfgang Koch (blackspion)"
    wrote in message news:01b3k2dgi0l0mjbhs8a9a09jfuh6rb1tcg@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:11:27 GMT, "***** charles"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Hi all,
    > >
    > >I just got handed a PowerPC 6400/2000.

    > Hi,
    >
    > best choice to make yourself familiar with your 6400
    > would be
    >
    > also
    >
    > You`ll find some information about linux at PPC there also
    >
    > kr
    > Wolfgang

    I have visited both. One thing I noticed is the that hard
    drive is pretty slow. No one talks about putting a faster
    IDE drive in this computer which I assume is possible.
    Can I put in say a 40G'er IDE from the pc world to
    speed up this computer?

    thanks,
    charles.....

  7. Re: PowerPC 6400/200 now what?

    ***** charles wrote:

    > "Wolfgang Koch (blackspion)"
    > wrote in message news:01b3k2dgi0l0mjbhs8a9a09jfuh6rb1tcg@4ax.com...
    > > On Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:11:27 GMT, "***** charles"
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > > >Hi all,
    > > >
    > > >I just got handed a PowerPC 6400/2000.

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > best choice to make yourself familiar with your 6400
    > > would be
    > >
    > > also
    > >
    > > You`ll find some information about linux at PPC there also
    > >
    > > kr
    > > Wolfgang

    > I have visited both. One thing I noticed is the that hard
    > drive is pretty slow. No one talks about putting a faster
    > IDE drive in this computer which I assume is possible.
    > Can I put in say a 40G'er IDE from the pc world to
    > speed up this computer?

    Definitely, yes. The limit is 128 GB due to the ATA controller.
    If you want more - or really faster - add an ATA133 PCI card to the box.

    --
    I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
    to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

  8. Re: PowerPC 6400/200 now what?

    On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:57:26 GMT, "***** charles"
    wrote:

    >I have visited both. One thing I noticed is the that hard
    >drive is pretty slow. No one talks about putting a faster
    >IDE drive in this computer which I assume is possible.
    >Can I put in say a 40G'er IDE from the pc world to
    >speed up this computer?

    That should work if the drive is recognized
    by apples HD Formater.

    But remember the IDE port only supports
    PIO mode 4 with 16.7 MB/s
    so the speed wouldn`t increase incredibly fast

    You only got 2 PCI-slots, so if you really want
    to speed up und tune-up your 6400
    best choice would be a USB2/FiWi/IDE-combo
    card and a faster graficcard.

    kr
    Wolfgang

  9. Re: PowerPC 6400/200 now what?

    > On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 14:57:26 GMT, "***** charles"
    > wrote:
    >

    > >I have visited both. One thing I noticed is the that hard
    > >drive is pretty slow. No one talks about putting a faster
    > >IDE drive in this computer which I assume is possible.
    > >Can I put in say a 40G'er IDE from the pc world to
    > >speed up this computer?

    > That should work if the drive is recognized
    > by apples HD Formater.
    >
    > But remember the IDE port only supports
    > PIO mode 4 with 16.7 MB/s
    > so the speed wouldn`t increase incredibly fast
    >

    > You only got 2 PCI-slots, so if you really want
    > to speed up und tune-up your 6400
    > best choice would be a USB2/FiWi/IDE-combo
    > card and a faster graficcard.
    >
    > kr
    > Wolfgang

    Any card suggestions that are "cheap"?