recommendations? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on recommendations? - Powerpc ; I have an old world beige PowerMac that I was installing linux to. I need use BootX to boot - but have since lost the MacOS boot disk (when the machine powers up, I get the icon to insert a ...

  1. recommendations?

    I have an old world beige PowerMac that I was installing linux to. I need
    use BootX to boot - but have since lost the MacOS boot disk (when the
    machine powers up, I get the icon to insert a floppy). Is there any way
    to recover from this? I bought the machine used, and don't have any boot
    floppies...

    Thanks in advance,

    jerry
    --
    // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"

  2. Re: recommendations?

    On 2006-10-21, Jerry Heyman wrote:

    > I have an old world beige PowerMac that I was installing linux to. I need
    > use BootX to boot - but have since lost the MacOS boot disk (when the
    > machine powers up, I get the icon to insert a floppy). Is there any way
    > to recover from this? I bought the machine used, and don't have any boot
    > floppies...

    Not a direct solution, but if you can find a copy of quik, you might be
    able to install it as the bootloader from a Mac-bootable linux CD
    and/or floppy. IIRC some older Debian boot floppies would get you to a
    point where you could install quik.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: recommendations?

    On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 14:28:40 -0400,
    Jerry Heyman , in
    <1620248.5U5RW57Z2X@unix.hobbeshollow.com> wrote:
    >+
    >+ I have an old world beige PowerMac that I was installing linux to. I need
    >+ use BootX to boot - but have since lost the MacOS boot disk (when the
    >+ machine powers up, I get the icon to insert a floppy). Is there any way
    >+ to recover from this? I bought the machine used, and don't have any boot
    >+ floppies...

    You should be able to find a copy of v7.5.x (3?) on Apple's website,
    if you dig deeply enough.

    isn't looking good, either.

  4. Re: recommendations?

    on Sunday 22 October 2006 06:00 pm, hfrarg@nttvr2x3.pbgfr.arg (I R A Darth
    Aggie) wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 14:28:40 -0400,
    > Jerry Heyman , in
    > <1620248.5U5RW57Z2X@unix.hobbeshollow.com> wrote:
    >>+
    >>+ I have an old world beige PowerMac that I was installing linux to. I
    >>+ need use BootX to boot - but have since lost the MacOS boot disk (when
    >>+ the machine powers up, I get the icon to insert a floppy). Is there any
    >>+ way to recover from this? I bought the machine used, and don't have any
    >>+ boot floppies...

    > You should be able to find a copy of v7.5.x (3?) on Apple's website,
    > if you dig deeply enough.

    Thanks for all the advice.

    I didn't need to actually do anything. Seems someone else had altered
    the machine's disks and left me with two that were SCSI id 0 :-(

    Once I solved that, all is fine and I'm ready to install Linux on the
    2nd drive. Got YellowDog 4 and should have it installed in a few days.

    Thanks again!

    jerry
    --
    // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"
    \\ // heymanj@acm.org |
    \X/ http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/e/heymanj/

  5. Re: recommendations?

    On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:37:05 -0400,
    Jerry Heyman , in
    <2256765.UBa7qb62G7@unix.hobbeshollow.com> wrote:

    >+ I didn't need to actually do anything. Seems someone else had altered
    >+ the machine's disks and left me with two that were SCSI id 0 :-(

    D'OH!

    isn't looking good, either.

  6. Re: recommendations?

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 19:37:05 -0400,
    > Jerry Heyman , in
    > <2256765.UBa7qb62G7@unix.hobbeshollow.com> wrote:
    >
    >> + I didn't need to actually do anything. Seems someone else had altered
    >> + the machine's disks and left me with two that were SCSI id 0 :-(

    > D'OH!

    Golly. I am having tons of fun, with my stack of Power PC G3's!

    But, now, I seem to be finding really great iMacs for very cheap aat
    garage sales... Last two are Airport equipped 700 and 500 Mhz systems,
    though one has a bad drive... put in an 80Gb drive, and both now run
    system 10...

    Next step is Ubuntu... thanks for the encouragement, watching you all
    make them better, faster, at no cost...

    I fix Macs, and all the oldies get to come home with me! I am now
    supporting several families, and a couple private schools, with the
    donations....
    Been doing Linux since 1997.

+ Reply to Thread