How to compile Xplore 1.2a with gcc 3.4.4 under YDL - Powerpc

This is a discussion on How to compile Xplore 1.2a with gcc 3.4.4 under YDL - Powerpc ; Building Xplore[*] with gcc 3.4.4 requires a couple of small fixes to the program's source. I'm running Yellow Dog Linux 4.1 on a PPC iBook, but the same tweaks are possibly useful for other systems. First thing you need to ...

  1. How to compile Xplore 1.2a with gcc 3.4.4 under YDL

    Building Xplore[*] with gcc 3.4.4 requires a couple of small fixes to
    the program's source. I'm running Yellow Dog Linux 4.1 on a PPC iBook,
    but the same tweaks are possibly useful for other systems.

    First thing you need to do is change line 36 of file 'Xplore.tmpl' to:

    #define USE_GCC

    Try to build the program (see instructions in the 'INSTALL' file). If
    you get this error:

    regexp.c:198: error: conflicting types for 'malloc'

    you need to comment out - or delete - line 198 in file regexp/regexp.c .

    If you are using gcc 3.4.4, you will probably get this error as well:

    ftype.c:303: error: label at end of compound statement

    I fixed this by adding a ; (semi-colon) at the end of line 303 in file
    ftype.c .

    After these fixes, everything built correctly. The program has been
    running happily on my system for the last few days.

    [*] Xplore is a very nice Motif file manager.

    --
    Jazzman * jazz.man@ *
    ~~~~~~~ * tiscali.it *

  2. Re: How to compile Xplore 1.2a with gcc 3.4.4 under YDL

    Jazzman wrote:

    > Try to build the program (see instructions in the 'INSTALL' file). If
    > you get this error:
    >
    > regexp.c:198: error: conflicting types for 'malloc'
    >
    > you need to comment out - or delete - line 198 in file regexp/regexp.c .

    Better to edit the line to change the return type of malloc() to the
    correct value; a pointer to void:

    extern void * malloc();

  3. Re: How to compile Xplore 1.2a with gcc 3.4.4 under YDL

    csoren@isd.net dixit:

    > Better to edit the line to change the return type of malloc() to the
    > correct value; a pointer to void:
    >
    > extern void * malloc();

    I think this isn't needed, as malloc() should be already defined in the
    included files, which is probably why I was getting the "conflicting
    types" error.

    --
    ..: Jazzman :.

    "Io non so se Dio esiste, ma se non esiste ci fa una figura migliore"
    (Stefano Benni)

+ Reply to Thread