Mac-on-Linux? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Mac-on-Linux? - Powerpc ; Hello, How stable is Mac-on-Linux in everyday use? As a reference: I didn't have to reboot my Powermac (currently running MacOS X 10.4.8) once since I've got it. At least not for other reasons than activating freshly installed software. The ...

  1. Mac-on-Linux?

    Hello,

    How stable is Mac-on-Linux in everyday use?

    As a reference: I didn't have to reboot my Powermac (currently running MacOS
    X 10.4.8) once since I've got it. At least not for other reasons than
    activating freshly installed software.

    The main reason why I would want to use Mac-on-Linux is that in Fink and
    Macports, a lot of things are missing, outdated or broken. So I would prefer
    to use Ubuntu instead. But I would still use MacOS X and its applications for
    most "everyday" work. So it needs to run absolutely reliably.

    Another nice aspect of Mac-on-Linux would be to be able to redirect a MacOS X
    session to any other computer running an X server. How usable is this in a
    switched 100MBit/s LAN? Depending on the power of the computer serving as X
    terminal? I guess all those visual effects in Aqua consume lots of CPU and
    bandwidth?

    BTW: Some time ago, there was an interesting article in a computer magazine
    about how to turn a Linux computer into a multi-user system by "simply"
    connecting several screens and keyboards to it. A G5 Powermac could take 4
    graphics cards, and physically connecting additional keyboards through USB
    switches shouldn't be a problem either. So would it really be possible to
    make four users work in parallel on a single PowerMac using Mac-on-Linux? Has
    anyone actually tried this?

    TIA,

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang Keller

    --
    My email-address is correct.
    Do NOT remove ".nospam" to reply.

  2. Re: Mac-on-Linux?

    > BTW: Some time ago, there was an interesting article in a computer magazine
    > about how to turn a Linux computer into a multi-user system by "simply"
    > connecting several screens and keyboards to it. A G5 Powermac could take 4
    > graphics cards, and physically connecting additional keyboards through USB
    > switches shouldn't be a problem either. So would it really be possible to
    > make four users work in parallel on a single PowerMac using Mac-on-Linux? Has
    > anyone actually tried this?

    MOL isn't supported on a G5 Powermac, so that won't work.
    (from the mol website: 603, 604, G3 and G4 support)

+ Reply to Thread