BootX 1.2.2 installed, what next? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on BootX 1.2.2 installed, what next? - Powerpc ; Guess I'll start with google next, but thought I'd ask here first. I've resurrected an old-world beige powermac, model 8500. It has a Sonnet G3 upgrade card in it to take the CPU to 338MHz. It is currently running OS ...

  1. BootX 1.2.2 installed, what next?

    Guess I'll start with google next, but thought I'd ask here first.

    I've resurrected an old-world beige powermac, model 8500. It has a Sonnet
    G3 upgrade card in it to take the CPU to 338MHz. It is currently running
    OS 9.2.1

    I've installed the BootX extension, BootX application, and have taken the
    vmlinuz and ramdisk image from Fedora Core 5 cd 1 ppc directory. Should
    I have used the one from the mac directory? That had a lot of yaboot
    info in it, and since this is old-world, I assumed that taking it would
    be the wrong one.

    Question I have now, is how to boot so that I can actually install FC5?
    Selecting vmlinuz at boot time causes a problem as nothing seems to happen
    but I get the following output and the machine locks:

    Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5

    linked at : 0x00000000
    frame buffer at : 0x94800210
    klimit : 0xc0415c68
    boot_info at : 0x00426000
    MSR : 0x00000042
    PVR : 0x00088202
    HID0 : 0x8081c084
    ICTC : 0x00000000

    Total space used by parameters & ramdisk: 00582000
    Preparing boot params...
    Preparing BAT...
    pmac_init(): exit
    id_mach(): done
    MMU: enter
    MMU: hw init
    hash:enter
    hash:find piece
    hashatch
    hash:done
    MMU:mapin
    MMU:setio
    MMU:exit

    machine has 128MB of memory, a separate 4GB SCSI drive that I want to
    install FC5 onto, but can't seem to get started.

    Suggestions, directions, pointers - all appreciated.

    Thanks in advance,

    jerry
    --
    // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"

  2. Re: BootX 1.2.2 installed, what next?

    Jerry Heyman schrieb:

    > Guess I'll start with google next, but thought I'd ask here first.
    >
    > I've resurrected an old-world beige powermac, model 8500. It has a Sonnet
    > G3 upgrade card in it to take the CPU to 338MHz. It is currently running
    > OS 9.2.1
    >
    > I've installed the BootX extension, BootX application, and have taken the
    > vmlinuz and ramdisk image from Fedora Core 5 cd 1 ppc directory. Should
    > I have used the one from the mac directory? That had a lot of yaboot
    > info in it, and since this is old-world, I assumed that taking it would
    > be the wrong one.
    >
    > Question I have now, is how to boot so that I can actually install FC5?
    > Selecting vmlinuz at boot time causes a problem as nothing seems to happen
    > but I get the following output and the machine locks:
    >
    > Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
    >
    > linked at : 0x00000000
    > frame buffer at : 0x94800210
    > klimit : 0xc0415c68
    > boot_info at : 0x00426000
    > MSR : 0x00000042
    > PVR : 0x00088202
    > HID0 : 0x8081c084
    > ICTC : 0x00000000
    >
    > Total space used by parameters & ramdisk: 00582000
    > Preparing boot params...
    > Preparing BAT...
    > pmac_init(): exit
    > id_mach(): done
    > MMU: enter
    > MMU: hw init
    > hash:enter
    > hash:find piece
    > hashatch
    > hash:done
    > MMU:mapin
    > MMU:setio
    > MMU:exit
    >

    > machine has 128MB of memory, a separate 4GB SCSI drive that I want to
    > install FC5 onto, but can't seem to get started.
    >
    > Suggestions, directions, pointers - all appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > jerry
    > --
    > // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    > // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"
    > \\ // heymanj@acm.org |
    > \X/ http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/e/heymanj/

    Well, i have two suggestions for you:

    1. With this hardware, OS9 is the best OS you can run.
    2. If you still want to use Linux on it, use Yellowdog. Fedora doesn't
    support OldWorld Macs. I've been running YDL (and later on Ubuntu) on a
    G3-upgraded SuperMac and all the trouble i had installing and
    configuring the box made me buy a G4-Mac mini in the end and now i'm a
    happy camper with Ubuntu :-)

  3. Re: BootX 1.2.2 installed, what next?

    jochenrollwagen@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Jerry Heyman schrieb:
    >
    > > Guess I'll start with google next, but thought I'd ask here first.
    > >
    > > I've resurrected an old-world beige powermac, model 8500. It has a Sonnet
    > > G3 upgrade card in it to take the CPU to 338MHz. It is currently running
    > > OS 9.2.1
    > >
    > > I've installed the BootX extension, BootX application, and have taken the
    > > vmlinuz and ramdisk image from Fedora Core 5 cd 1 ppc directory. Should
    > > I have used the one from the mac directory? That had a lot of yaboot
    > > info in it, and since this is old-world, I assumed that taking it would
    > > be the wrong one.
    > >
    > > Question I have now, is how to boot so that I can actually install FC5?
    > > Selecting vmlinuz at boot time causes a problem as nothing seems to happen
    > > but I get the following output and the machine locks:
    > >
    > > Welcome to Linux, kernel 2.6.15-1.2054_FC5
    > >
    > > linked at : 0x00000000
    > > frame buffer at : 0x94800210
    > > klimit : 0xc0415c68
    > > boot_info at : 0x00426000
    > > MSR : 0x00000042
    > > PVR : 0x00088202
    > > HID0 : 0x8081c084
    > > ICTC : 0x00000000
    > >
    > > Total space used by parameters & ramdisk: 00582000
    > > Preparing boot params...
    > > Preparing BAT...
    > > pmac_init(): exit
    > > id_mach(): done
    > > MMU: enter
    > > MMU: hw init
    > > hash:enter
    > > hash:find piece
    > > hashatch
    > > hash:done
    > > MMU:mapin
    > > MMU:setio
    > > MMU:exit
    > >

    > > machine has 128MB of memory, a separate 4GB SCSI drive that I want to
    > > install FC5 onto, but can't seem to get started.
    > >
    > > Suggestions, directions, pointers - all appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > >
    > > jerry
    > > --
    > > // Jerry Heyman | "Software is the difference between
    > > // Amiga Forever :-) | hardware and reality"
    > > \\ // heymanj@acm.org |
    > > \X/ http://bellsouthpwp.net/h/e/heymanj/

    > Well, i have two suggestions for you:
    >
    > 1. With this hardware, OS9 is the best OS you can run.

    this is utter nonsense. machine should be fine running 2.6.15 linux
    kernel.
    (i have one even more limited than this running it, finely thank you)
    > 2. If you still want to use Linux on it, use Yellowdog. Fedora doesn't

    Debian is the only distro currently officially supports old world mac.
    as long as you are ok at 2.6.15 it is working (people are worrying
    about
    going higher, but i am not sure why...)

    you might want to install sarge though first, it is more stable and
    secure. 2.6.15 is part of etch which is still in prerelease. sarge
    ie debian 3.1 will give you 2.6.8, and you can probably install it
    in an hour.

    > support OldWorld Macs. I've been running YDL (and later on Ubuntu) on a
    > G3-upgraded SuperMac and all the trouble i had installing and
    > configuring the box made me buy a G4-Mac mini in the end and now i'm a
    > happy camper with Ubuntu :-).

    Ubuntu is like debian, although they do not officially support old
    world
    you might be able to do it.

+ Reply to Thread