Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac - Powerpc ; Hello, all! I am attempting to install Yellow Dog Linux (versions 3.0.1 and 4.0.1 burned and tried, 2.3 burned but not yet tried, waiting for CDs onto which to burn 4.1) onto an Old World Mac (Power Macintosh 7500 with ...

  1. Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

    Hello, all!

    I am attempting to install Yellow Dog Linux (versions 3.0.1 and 4.0.1
    burned and tried, 2.3 burned but not yet tried, waiting for CDs onto
    which to burn 4.1) onto an Old World Mac (Power Macintosh 7500 with 1 GB
    RAM and a 50 GB HD (10 GB Mac OS 8.6 and 40 GB unformatted)) and I am
    having trouble.

    The 4.0.1 disk won't load Anaconda (the YDL installer engine) and
    crashes.

    The 3.0.1 disk will load Anaconda, but won't read the 3.0.1 disk for
    data and keeps waiting for readable CD; the 3.0.1-loaded Anaconda will
    read the 4.0.1 disk a little bit, but then crashes.

    Is there anybody on the newsgroup who has experience using BootX (the
    bootloader for Old World Macs) and mayhap even experience installing
    YDL? I am contacting TerraSoft about purchasing installation support,
    but the Mac is so old that I have little hope for this.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

    Sincerely,
    --
    Jeffrey Rolland

    Freedom + Security = 0 and I prefer freedom (even post-911).

  2. Re: Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

    Do you have Boot X installed with the Linux kernel installed in to it?
    I believe there are directions on Terra Soft's site or the Yellow Dog
    Board.

    In Christ,
    Deacon Nikolai
    http://Stanosheck.com

    Jeffrey Rolland wrote:
    > Hello, all!
    >
    > I am attempting to install Yellow Dog Linux (versions 3.0.1 and 4.0.1
    > burned and tried, 2.3 burned but not yet tried, waiting for CDs onto
    > which to burn 4.1) onto an Old World Mac (Power Macintosh 7500 with 1 GB
    > RAM and a 50 GB HD (10 GB Mac OS 8.6 and 40 GB unformatted)) and I am
    > having trouble.
    >
    > The 4.0.1 disk won't load Anaconda (the YDL installer engine) and
    > crashes.
    >
    > The 3.0.1 disk will load Anaconda, but won't read the 3.0.1 disk for
    > data and keeps waiting for readable CD; the 3.0.1-loaded Anaconda will
    > read the 4.0.1 disk a little bit, but then crashes.
    >
    > Is there anybody on the newsgroup who has experience using BootX (the
    > bootloader for Old World Macs) and mayhap even experience installing
    > YDL? I am contacting TerraSoft about purchasing installation support,
    > but the Mac is so old that I have little hope for this.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
    >
    > Sincerely,
    > --
    > Jeffrey Rolland
    >

    > Freedom + Security = 0 and I prefer freedom (even post-911).

  3. Re: Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

    In article <1156142230.221315.125730@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups. com>,
    "Deacon Nikolai" wrote:

    |Do you have Boot X installed with the Linux kernel installed in to it?
    |I believe there are directions on Terra Soft's site or the Yellow Dog
    |Board.
    |
    |In Christ,
    |Deacon Nikolai
    |http://Stanosheck.com
    |
    |Jeffrey Rolland wrote:
    |> Hello, all!
    |>
    |> I am attempting to install Yellow Dog Linux (versions 3.0.1 and 4.0.1
    |> burned and tried, 2.3 burned but not yet tried, waiting for CDs onto
    |> which to burn 4.1) onto an Old World Mac (Power Macintosh 7500 with 1 GB
    |> RAM and a 50 GB HD (10 GB Mac OS 8.6 and 40 GB unformatted)) and I am
    |> having trouble.
    |>
    |> The 4.0.1 disk won't load Anaconda (the YDL installer engine) and
    |> crashes.
    |>
    |> The 3.0.1 disk will load Anaconda, but won't read the 3.0.1 disk for
    |> data and keeps waiting for readable CD; the 3.0.1-loaded Anaconda will
    |> read the 4.0.1 disk a little bit, but then crashes.
    |>
    |> Is there anybody on the newsgroup who has experience using BootX (the
    |> bootloader for Old World Macs) and mayhap even experience installing
    |> YDL? I am contacting TerraSoft about purchasing installation support,
    |> but the Mac is so old that I have little hope for this.
    |>
    |> Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.
    |>
    |> Sincerely,
    |> --
    |> Jeffrey Rolland
    |>

    |> Freedom + Security = 0 and I prefer freedom (even post-911).

    Deacon,

    Yes, I have BootX installed with linux kernels installed in it. In fact,
    here is some more info:

    Trial 1:

    For BootX, I was using the kernel vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1 included on the
    4.0.1 CD (not the vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7 indicated in
    ("how to install
    YDL 4.0 on old world mac?") and
    ). I was using
    ramdisk size 58192. I was using the "More Kernel arguments" of
    "video=controlfb:vmode:13,cmode:32". I am not sure what ramdisk I was
    using.

    For the CD, I was using the 4.0.1 CD.

    The exact error message I received was

    "
    File "/usr/bin/anaconda:, line 193
    if outfields[0] == "connecting" and outfields[-1] == "failed":
    ^
    SynatxError: invalid syntax
    "

    The rest just indicated how the system abended and I could restart my
    machine.

    Trial 2:

    For BootX, I was using the kernel vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1 included on the
    4.0.1 CD. I was using ramdisk size 58192. I was using the "More Kernel
    arguments" of "video=controlfb:vmode:13,cmode:32". I was using the
    ramdisk supplied on the 4.0.1 CD.

    For the CD, I was using the 4.0.1 CD.

    The exact error message I received was

    "
    install exited abnormally
    "

    The rest just indicated how the system abended and I could restart my
    machine.

    Trial 3:

    For BootX, I was using the kernel vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1 included on the
    4.0.1 CD. I was using ramdisk size 58192. I was using the "More Kernel
    arguments" of "video=controlfb:vmode:13,cmode:32". I was using the
    ramdisk supplied on the 3.0.1 CD.

    For the CD, I was using the 4.0.1 CD.

    The exact error message I got was from Anaconda, and it said

    "
    You don't have enough RAM to run Yellow Dog. [OK]
    "

    (This is obviously silly, since I have 1 GB of RAM, but at least
    Anaconda ran.)

    Trial 4:

    For BootX, I was using the kernel vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1 included on the
    4.0.1 CD. I was using ramdisk size 18192. I was using the "More Kernel
    arguments" of "video=controlfb:vmode:13,cmode:32". I was using the
    ramdisk supplied on the 3.0.1 CD.

    For the CD, I was using the 4.0.1 CD.

    The exact error message I got was from Anaconda, and it said

    "
    You don't have enough RAM to run Yellow Dog. [OK]
    "

    (This is again obviously silly.)

    Hope this is of some use to someone.

    Sincerely,
    --
    Jeffrey Rolland

    Freedom + Security = 0 and I prefer freedom (even post-911).

  4. Re: Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

    "Deacon Nikolai" writes:

    > > I am attempting to install Yellow Dog Linux (versions 3.0.1 and 4.0.1
    > > burned and tried, 2.3 burned but not yet tried, waiting for CDs onto
    > > which to burn 4.1) onto an Old World Mac (Power Macintosh 7500 with 1 GB
    > > RAM and a 50 GB HD (10 GB Mac OS 8.6 and 40 GB unformatted)) and I am
    > > having trouble.
    > >
    > > The 4.0.1 disk won't load Anaconda (the YDL installer engine) and
    > > crashes.

    > Do you have Boot X installed with the Linux kernel installed in to it?
    > I believe there are directions on Terra Soft's site or the Yellow Dog
    > Board.

    Indeed, for YDL 4.0.1 the following urls cover the topic

    I have YDL 4.0.1 running on my 7600 at home, previously was running
    3.0.1 (having upgraded from 2.3 and previously from 2.1). Essentially
    the problem is that 4.0.1 is not supplied set up to install on an
    OldWorld machine, you need to obtain and install BootX and a suitable
    kernel (the kernel that comes with 4.0.1 won't work).

    > > The 3.0.1 disk will load Anaconda, but won't read the 3.0.1 disk for
    > > data and keeps waiting for readable CD; the 3.0.1-loaded Anaconda will
    > > read the 4.0.1 disk a little bit, but then crashes.

    I don't recall any problems with 3.0.1. It sounds like a CD problem,
    but since I am away from home and don't have my notes with me I am not
    sure. I do have a vague memory that some of the original OldWorld
    boxes had CD drives that don't work well with 700 MB CD's, that you
    had to write the CD's to a 650 MB blank. A Google search gives the
    following

    --
    Stephen Harker s.harker@adfa.edu.au
    PEMS