Problem booting Debian, Ubuntu CDs on iBook - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Problem booting Debian, Ubuntu CDs on iBook - Powerpc ; I am trying to install Debian 3.1r2 or Ubuntu 5.10 on a clamshell iBook G3, but the CD will not boot. The existing Mac OS (9.2) reports an error showing that the CD is DOS-formatted, and when the machine is ...

  1. Problem booting Debian, Ubuntu CDs on iBook

    I am trying to install Debian 3.1r2 or Ubuntu 5.10 on a clamshell iBook
    G3, but the CD will not boot. The existing Mac OS (9.2) reports an
    error showing that the CD is DOS-formatted, and when the machine is
    rebooted the CD-ROM drive does a quick drive seek (I'm guessing by the
    sound), and then continues to boot into OS 9. Has anyone had a similar
    issue or advice as to how to correct this?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Problem booting Debian, Ubuntu CDs on iBook

    Nick Ballard wrote:

    [ folow-up set to c.o.l.hardware as c.o.l.help not available ]

    > I am trying to install Debian 3.1r2 or Ubuntu 5.10 on a clamshell
    > iBook
    > G3, but the CD will not boot. The existing Mac OS (9.2) reports an
    > error showing that the CD is DOS-formatted, and when the machine is
    > rebooted the CD-ROM drive does a quick drive seek (I'm guessing by the
    > sound), and then continues to boot into OS 9. Has anyone had a
    > similar issue or advice as to how to correct this?
    >
    > Thanks.

    The majority of linux distributions run only on intel hardware. Debian
    does have a port for powerpc-based hardware, but you have to get the
    correct install CD. It appears you have the wrong one.

    You'll need to do the same for Ubuntu.

+ Reply to Thread