FC5 & iMac 800MHz 15" - Powerpc

This is a discussion on FC5 & iMac 800MHz 15" - Powerpc ; Hello! I'm trying to install Fedora Core 5 on my iMac Machine Model: iMac CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1) Number Of CPUs: 1 CPU Speed: 800 MHz L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB Memory: 768 MB Bus Speed: 100 MHz ...

  1. FC5 & iMac 800MHz 15"

    Hello!

    I'm trying to install Fedora Core 5 on my iMac

    Machine Model: iMac
    CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
    Number Of CPUs: 1
    CPU Speed: 800 MHz
    L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    Memory: 768 MB
    Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: 4.3.4f2

    I insert first CD, hit enter (or type linux text, then enter), it finds
    kernel, ramdisk, starts booting, then changes font from nice small one
    to bold larger one (looking more like PC console font), then screen
    turns black and then it reboots into MacOS... The last thing I manage
    to read is "Processor frequency 800 MHz"

    I would be glad to hear any advice. Thank you.

    Dmitri

  2. Re: FC5 & iMac 800MHz 15"

    In article <1154369210.449117.190040@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    >Hello!
    >
    >I'm trying to install Fedora Core 5 on my iMac
    >
    > Machine Model: iMac
    > CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
    > Number Of CPUs: 1
    > CPU Speed: 800 MHz
    > L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    > Memory: 768 MB
    > Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    > Boot ROM Version: 4.3.4f2
    >
    >I insert first CD, hit enter (or type linux text, then enter), it finds
    >kernel, ramdisk, starts booting, then changes font from nice small one
    >to bold larger one (looking more like PC console font), then screen
    >turns black and then it reboots into MacOS... The last thing I manage
    >to read is "Processor frequency 800 MHz"
    >
    >I would be glad to hear any advice. Thank you.

    Install YDL 4.1 instead.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

  3. Re: FC5 & iMac 800MHz 15"

    Don't have FC5 experience myself but from RH and prior FC experience,
    try doing a text based installation and see if it helps. Otherwise,
    try Ubuntu (for PPC) or any of the variation (depending on your
    favorite windows manager.

    FM

    yavannadil@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > I'm trying to install Fedora Core 5 on my iMac
    >
    > Machine Model: iMac
    > CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (2.1)
    > Number Of CPUs: 1
    > CPU Speed: 800 MHz
    > L2 Cache (per CPU): 256 KB
    > Memory: 768 MB
    > Bus Speed: 100 MHz
    > Boot ROM Version: 4.3.4f2
    >
    > I insert first CD, hit enter (or type linux text, then enter), it finds
    > kernel, ramdisk, starts booting, then changes font from nice small one
    > to bold larger one (looking more like PC console font), then screen
    > turns black and then it reboots into MacOS... The last thing I manage
    > to read is "Processor frequency 800 MHz"
    >
    > I would be glad to hear any advice. Thank you.
    >
    > Dmitri

  4. Re: FC5 & iMac 800MHz 15"

    MaF BaBa ΠΙΣΑΜ(Α):

    > Don't have FC5 experience myself but from RH and prior FC experience,
    > try doing a text based installation and see if it helps. Otherwise,
    > try Ubuntu (for PPC) or any of the variation (depending on your
    > favorite windows manager.

    Installed Debian etch. Writing from it now.

+ Reply to Thread