Debian over PowerMac 9600/233 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Debian over PowerMac 9600/233 - Powerpc ; Hi, I try install Debian (woody) with BootX loader over Mac OS 8.5.1. It's fine, but the installlation of Debian to stop because not recognize hard disks. I think it is problem of driver of the controller SCSI ATTO ExpressPCI ...

  1. Debian over PowerMac 9600/233

    Hi,

    I try install Debian (woody) with BootX loader over Mac OS 8.5.1.
    It's fine, but the installlation of Debian to stop because not recognize
    hard disks.
    I think it is problem of driver of the controller SCSI ATTO ExpressPCI PSC.

    Situation

    PowerMac 9600/233

    Controller SCSI ATTO ExpressPCI PSC

    two HD

    1 - HD 4 GB with two partitiom
    first Partition 1 GB is free
    second Partition 3 GB with Mac OS 8.5.1

    2 - HD 19 GB free

    What to load the driver of controller?

    Thanks 1000

    P.S. excuse me for bad English

  2. Re: Debian over PowerMac 9600/233

    "Azim" writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I try install Debian (woody) with BootX loader over Mac OS 8.5.1.
    > It's fine, but the installlation of Debian to stop because not recognize
    > hard disks.
    > I think it is problem of driver of the controller SCSI ATTO ExpressPCI PSC.
    >
    > Situation
    >
    > PowerMac 9600/233
    >
    > Controller SCSI ATTO ExpressPCI PSC

    I don't have the ATTO cards, but according to

    (for YDL, but true for any linux with ppc kernel) `the Apple-bundled
    ATTO ExpressPCIProUL3D and ATTO ExpressPCIProUL2D SCSI cards work
    (with the Symbios 53c8xx driver)'. The main question is whether the
    driver is compiled into the kernel you have either as a module or as
    built in. If it is loaded you should see something like:

    SYM53C8XX Version 2 SCSI support

    when booting. If it is a module, not directly compiled in, you will
    need to load the module. For BootX you need to put something into the
    Kernel Arguments box (see ).

    > What to load the driver of controller?

    I would suggest you add SYM53C8XX to the Kernel Arguments box. I
    don't know if you need further areguments to it. If there are other
    arguments in the box put a comma before the SYM53C8XX argument.

    It might be easier to obtain a kernel in which the SYM53C8XX driver is
    built in. You could try to see if they have
    such a kernel.

    --
    Stephen Harker s.harker@adfa.edu.au
    PEMS

  3. Re: Debian over PowerMac 9600/233

    "Stephen Harker" wrote in message
    > "Azim" writes:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I try install Debian (woody) with BootX loader over Mac OS 8.5.1.
    >> It's fine, but the installlation of Debian to stop because not recognize
    >> hard disks.
    >> I think it is problem of driver of the controller SCSI ATTO ExpressPCI
    >> PSC.
    >>
    >> Situation
    >>
    >> PowerMac 9600/233
    >>
    >> Controller SCSI ATTO ExpressPCI PSC

    > I don't have the ATTO cards, but according to
    >
    > (for YDL, but true for any linux with ppc kernel) `the Apple-bundled
    > ATTO ExpressPCIProUL3D and ATTO ExpressPCIProUL2D SCSI cards work
    > (with the Symbios 53c8xx driver)'. The main question is whether the
    > driver is compiled into the kernel you have either as a module or as
    > built in. If it is loaded you should see something like:
    >
    > SYM53C8XX Version 2 SCSI support
    >
    > when booting. If it is a module, not directly compiled in, you will
    > need to load the module. For BootX you need to put something into the
    > Kernel Arguments box (see ).
    >

    >> What to load the driver of controller?

    > I would suggest you add SYM53C8XX to the Kernel Arguments box. I
    > don't know if you need further areguments to it. If there are other
    > arguments in the box put a comma before the SYM53C8XX argument.
    >
    > It might be easier to obtain a kernel in which the SYM53C8XX driver is
    > built in. You could try to see if they have
    > such a kernel.

    Thanks very mutch for your help.

    Now I try.

+ Reply to Thread