I need help on my powermac 9600/300 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on I need help on my powermac 9600/300 - Powerpc ; Hi my name is Alex.....I need help with my Powermac 9600/300....I have a knoppix std live cd adn i would like to run it on the powermac but i dont know how to make it boot from the cd........i wanna ...

  1. I need help on my powermac 9600/300

    Hi my name is Alex.....I need help with my Powermac 9600/300....I have
    a knoppix std live cd adn i would like to run it on the powermac but i
    dont know how to make it boot from the cd........i wanna make a server
    on it with linux but since i dont know how to make it boot from the cd
    i cant......so please help...Thank you.

  2. Re: I need help on my powermac 9600/300

    3x3cut4b13@gmail.com writes:

    > I need help with my Powermac 9600/300....I have a knoppix std live
    > cd

    [...]

    > i wanna make a server on it with linux but since i dont know how to
    > make it boot from the cd

    OldWorld PowerMacintosh does not boot from CD without proprietary
    (non-free) code. To install Linux, install traditional MacOS first
    (from CD), then boot Linux installer from MacOS by using BootX. BootX
    needs Linux kernel image and ramdisk image on HFS+ or HFS to boot
    Linux installer. After installing Linux, one can try to set up "quik"
    to use it for booting instead of MacOS and BootX.

    --
    "pienena / Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
    minusta / E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi

  3. Re: I need help on my powermac 9600/300

    Paavo Hartikainen wrote:
    > 3x3cut4b13@gmail.com writes:
    >
    > > I need help with my Powermac 9600/300....I have a knoppix std live
    > > cd

    > [...]
    >
    > > i wanna make a server on it with linux but since i dont know how to
    > > make it boot from the cd

    > OldWorld PowerMacintosh does not boot from CD without proprietary
    > (non-free) code. To install Linux, install traditional MacOS first
    > (from CD), then boot Linux installer from MacOS by using BootX. BootX
    > needs Linux kernel image and ramdisk image on HFS+ or HFS to boot
    > Linux installer. After installing Linux, one can try to set up "quik"
    > to use it for booting instead of MacOS and BootX.
    >
    > --
    > "pienena / Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
    > minusta / E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi
    > tulee / URL: http://www.sci.fi/~pahartik/
    > rotta" / EFnet: pahartik at #Atari and #LionKing

    thank you.....and where do i get this MacOS cd?May i ask?

  4. Re: I need help on my powermac 9600/300

    On 12 Jul 2006 07:54:23 -0700,
    Soldier <3x3cut4b13@gmail.com>, in
    <1152716063.615547.268700@35g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om> wrote:

    >+ thank you.....and where do i get this MacOS cd?May i ask?

    You could obtain one from someone who has one laying around.

    If you have 19 floppy disks, you can always download it:

    http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...Version_7.5.3/

    If you go up to

    http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...tware_Updates/

    you can probably find the right language version if North American/English
    isn't your first choice.

    Maybe someone has a pointer to the CD-ROM version?

    isn't looking good, either.

  5. Re: I need help on my powermac 9600/300

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On 12 Jul 2006 07:54:23 -0700,
    > Soldier <3x3cut4b13@gmail.com>, in
    > <1152716063.615547.268700@35g2000cwc.googlegroups.c om> wrote:
    >
    > >+ thank you.....and where do i get this MacOS cd?May i ask?

    > You could obtain one from someone who has one laying around.
    >
    > If you have 19 floppy disks, you can always download it:
    >
    > http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...Version_7.5.3/
    >
    > If you go up to
    >
    > http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...tware_Updates/
    >
    > you can probably find the right language version if North American/English
    > isn't your first choice.
    >
    > Maybe someone has a pointer to the CD-ROM version?
    >
    > --
    > Consulting Minister for Consultants, DNRC
    > I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow
    > isn't looking good, either.
    > I am BOFH. Resistance is futile. Your network will be assimilated.

    hey thanks.....= D

  6. Re: I need help on my powermac 9600/300

    "Soldier" <3x3cut4b13@gmail.com> writes:

    > Paavo Hartikainen wrote:

    >> 3x3cut4b13@gmail.com writes:

    >> > i wanna make a server on it with linux but since i dont know how
    >> > to make it boot from the cd

    >> OldWorld PowerMacintosh does not boot from CD without proprietary
    >> (non-free) code. To install Linux, install traditional MacOS first
    >> (from CD), then boot Linux installer from MacOS by using BootX.

    > thank you.....and where do i get this MacOS cd?May i ask?

    Second hand MacOS 8.0, 8.1, 8.5... install media can supposedly be
    obtained from person that has got one and does not need it anymore.

    Documents at
    and
    suggest
    that at least MacOS version 8.5.5, 8.6.1 (depending on PowerMacintosh
    9600 model) or later, is required.

    Another useful document would be at
    .

    --
    "pienena / Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
    minusta / E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi
    tulee / URL: http://www.sci.fi/~pahartik/
    rotta" / EFnet: pahartik at #Atari and #LionKing

  7. Re: I need help on my powermac 9600/300

    Paavo Hartikainen wrote:
    > "Soldier" <3x3cut4b13@gmail.com> writes:
    >
    > > Paavo Hartikainen wrote:

    > >> OldWorld PowerMacintosh does not boot from CD without proprietary
    > >> (non-free) code. To install Linux, install traditional MacOS first
    > >> (from CD), then boot Linux installer from MacOS by using BootX.

    > > thank you.....and where do i get this MacOS cd?May i ask?

    > Second hand MacOS 8.0, 8.1, 8.5... install media can supposedly be
    > obtained from person that has got one and does not need it anymore.
    >
    > Documents at
    > and
    > suggest
    > that at least MacOS version 8.5.5, 8.6.1 (depending on PowerMacintosh
    > 9600 model) or later, is required.
    >
    > Another useful document would be at
    > .
    >
    > --
    > "pienena / Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
    > minusta / E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi
    > tulee / URL: http://www.sci.fi/~pahartik/
    > rotta" / EFnet: pahartik at #Atari and #LionKing

    These documents only tell me about the computer....I want to know where
    i can get the MacOS CD that this guy told me about.

  8. Re: I need help on my powermac 9600/300

    Paavo Hartikainen writes:

    > Documents at
    > and
    > suggest
    > that at least MacOS version 8.5.5, 8.6.1 (depending on
    > PowerMacintosh 9600 model) or later, is required.

    And by MacOS 8.5.5 and MacOS 8.6.1, I mean MacOS 7.5.5 and MacOS
    7.6.1, of course. Sorry about possible version confusion.

    --
    "pienena / Paavo "Rainbow Rat" Hartikainen
    minusta / E-mail: pahartik@sci.fi
    tulee / URL: http://www.sci.fi/~pahartik/
    rotta" / EFnet: pahartik at #Atari and #LionKing

+ Reply to Thread