Debian on G3 upgraded PPC 8500 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Debian on G3 upgraded PPC 8500 - Powerpc ; Hi, I'm a newbie who's just managed to install Debian 3.1 on an Old-World PCI PPC 8500. All I've managed so far is a command-line interface. For some reason, Gnome Display Manager is unable to run - error message indicating ...

  1. Debian on G3 upgraded PPC 8500

    Hi,

    I'm a newbie who's just managed to install Debian 3.1 on an Old-World
    PCI PPC 8500. All I've managed so far is a command-line interface. For
    some reason, Gnome Display Manager is unable to run - error message
    indicating that the Xserver is unable to run, apparently not recognizing
    the display device. I would appreciate any advice as to how I can, if at
    all possible, boot into the GUI (X Windows?).

    My system setup:

    PCI PowerPC 8500 upgraded with 500Mhz G3 daughter card
    128MB RAM
    2 x 4 gig hard drives, with one dedicated for Debian.
    Running OS 9.2 and using BootX Bootloader
    15" Compaq CRT monitor (with adapter)
    Kensingnton 4-button ADB Mouse

    YF

  2. Re: Debian on G3 upgraded PPC 8500

    In article ,
    YF Yong wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm a newbie who's just managed to install Debian 3.1 on an Old-World
    >PCI PPC 8500. All I've managed so far is a command-line interface. For
    >some reason, Gnome Display Manager is unable to run - error message
    >indicating that the Xserver is unable to run, apparently not recognizing
    >the display device. I would appreciate any advice as to how I can, if at
    >all possible, boot into the GUI (X Windows?).
    >
    >My system setup:
    >
    >PCI PowerPC 8500 upgraded with 500Mhz G3 daughter card
    >128MB RAM
    >2 x 4 gig hard drives, with one dedicated for Debian.
    >Running OS 9.2 and using BootX Bootloader
    >15" Compaq CRT monitor (with adapter)
    >Kensingnton 4-button ADB Mouse

    You need to tell us what kind of graphics card you have,
    how X has been configured, and how X fails.

    The output of /sbin/lspci and the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    and /var/log/Xorg.0.log should suffice for that.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

  3. Re: Debian on G3 upgraded PPC 8500

    In article <44aa600c$1@griseus.its.uu.se>,
    mikpe@harpo.csd.uu.se (Mikael Pettersson) wrote:

    > In article ,
    > YF Yong wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I'm a newbie who's just managed to install Debian 3.1 on an Old-World
    > >PCI PPC 8500. All I've managed so far is a command-line interface. For
    > >some reason, Gnome Display Manager is unable to run - error message
    > >indicating that the Xserver is unable to run, apparently not recognizing
    > >the display device. I would appreciate any advice as to how I can, if at
    > >all possible, boot into the GUI (X Windows?).
    > >
    > >My system setup:
    > >
    > >PCI PowerPC 8500 upgraded with 500Mhz G3 daughter card
    > >128MB RAM
    > >2 x 4 gig hard drives, with one dedicated for Debian.
    > >Running OS 9.2 and using BootX Bootloader
    > >15" Compaq CRT monitor (with adapter)
    > >Kensingnton 4-button ADB Mouse

    > You need to tell us what kind of graphics card you have,
    > how X has been configured, and how X fails.
    >
    > The output of /sbin/lspci and the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    > and /var/log/Xorg.0.log should suffice for that.

    Thank you for your response.

    Graphics or video output from my 8500 is through the motherboard's (I
    presume Apple's) chipset. I don't seem to be able to locate the outputs
    you indicated above, but there's a log file at /var/log/XFree86.0.log.

    I'm so new to linux that I've not figured out how to transfer/extract
    that file to attach to this email (separate PC). Would appreciate a tip
    on how to do it. Pending that, the onscreen error messages from the
    Xserver output are:

    (==) Logfile: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log". Time:Wed Jul 5 11:26:05 2006
    (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/F86 Config-4"
    Skipping
    "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGlcore.a:m_debug_clip.0": No
    symbols found
    Skipping
    "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGlcore.a:m_debug_norm.0": No
    symbols found
    Skipping
    "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGlcore.a:m_debug_xform.0": No
    symbols found
    Skipping
    "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGlcore.a:m_debug_vertex.0": No
    symbols found
    Skipping "/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libspeedo.a:spencode.0": No
    symbols found
    (EE) No devices detected

    YF

+ Reply to Thread