Any PPC live CDs? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Any PPC live CDs? - Powerpc ; Hello all, I want to run Linux on an underutilized PowerMac and I'd like to "test drive" it before wiping the hard disk and installing. Are there any distributions for PPC that are live CDs? Thanks....

  1. Any PPC live CDs?

    Hello all,

    I want to run Linux on an underutilized PowerMac and I'd like to "test
    drive" it before wiping the hard disk and installing.

    Are there any distributions for PPC that are live CDs?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Any PPC live CDs?

    PastaLover wrote:
    > I want to run Linux on an underutilized PowerMac and I'd like to "test
    > drive" it before wiping the hard disk and installing.
    > Are there any distributions for PPC that are live CDs?

    Ubuntu?

    > Thanks.

    regards
    Thorsten
    --
    http://www.tgunkel.de

  3. Re: Any PPC live CDs?

    Thorsten Gunkel wrote:
    > PastaLover wrote:
    >
    >>I want to run Linux on an underutilized PowerMac and I'd like to "test
    >>drive" it before wiping the hard disk and installing.
    >>Are there any distributions for PPC that are live CDs?

    > Ubuntu?
    >

    >>Thanks.

    > regards
    > Thorsten

    Go to http://livecdlist.com and select PPC in the search criteria.

    HUGE number of them!

  4. Re: Any PPC live CDs?

    linuxiac wrote:
    > Thorsten Gunkel wrote:
    >
    >> PastaLover wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want to run Linux on an underutilized PowerMac and I'd like to
    >>> "test drive" it before wiping the hard disk and installing.
    >>> Are there any distributions for PPC that are live CDs?

    >> Ubuntu?
    >>

    >>> Thanks.

    >> regards
    >> Thorsten

    > Go to http://livecdlist.com and select PPC in the search criteria.
    >
    > HUGE number of them!

    Thanks to both of you.

    I found Ubuntu, and burned a CD. But it didn't really work too well. The
    file manager wouldn't start, and about half of the apps died during
    launch with a bunch of different error codes.

    This PowerMac only has 256 MB of RAM, so I'm guessing it just isn't
    powerful enough to support a full-fledged Linux distribution. Haven't
    had a chance yet to try it on my iBook with 512 MB.

    I'll check out the URL and explore some more.

  5. Re: Any PPC live CDs?

    PastaLover schrieb:
    > linuxiac wrote:
    >
    >> Thorsten Gunkel wrote:

    >>> Ubuntu?

    >>> regards
    >>> Thorsten

    >> Go to http://livecdlist.com and select PPC in the search criteria.
    >>
    >> HUGE number of them!

    > Thanks to both of you.
    >
    > I found Ubuntu, and burned a CD. But it didn't really work too well. The
    > file manager wouldn't start, and about half of the apps died during
    > launch with a bunch of different error codes.
    >
    > This PowerMac only has 256 MB of RAM, so I'm guessing it just isn't
    > powerful enough to support a full-fledged Linux distribution. Haven't
    > had a chance yet to try it on my iBook with 512 MB.
    >
    > I'll check out the URL and explore some more.

    Just to let you know: on my tangerine iBook with 160 MB RAM, ubuntu 5.10
    runs without probs. Even the live CD does work. 256 MB are definitly
    enough to run a linux distribution.

    Alf

  6. Re: Any PPC live CDs?

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 06:25:16 -0700,
    PastaLover , in
    <5fRng.15194$_c1.9104@fed1read05> wrote:

    >+ This PowerMac only has 256 MB of RAM, so I'm guessing it just isn't
    >+ powerful enough to support a full-fledged Linux distribution.

    That's adequate. Granted, you may want to run fluxbox instead of GNOME
    or KDE. And more memory would be nice, but what you have should be
    sufficient. Which PowerMac are you trying this on?

    isn't looking good, either.

  7. Re: Any PPC live CDs?

    On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 06:25:16 -0700, PastaLover wrote:

    > This PowerMac only has 256 MB of RAM, so I'm guessing it just isn't
    > powerful enough to support a full-fledged Linux distribution. Haven't had
    > a chance yet to try it on my iBook with 512 MB.

    A live cd is surely more RAM intensive than a full install, but 256megs
    should be enough.
    I would check carefully the hardware and the MD5SUM of the burned CD.

    If you want to try a lighter livecd, try Xubuntu (same codebase of Ubuntu
    but with a lighter desktop).

    --
    Best Regards, Jack
    Linux User #264449