IBM RS/6000 7025-F50 - ServeRaid (IPS) linux driver failure - Powerpc

This is a discussion on IBM RS/6000 7025-F50 - ServeRaid (IPS) linux driver failure - Powerpc ; Good day. Did anyone succeed to make linux IPS driver work for IBM Ultra3 4-channelRAID adapter? I've got one of these in my 7025-F50 and it works fine in AIX 5.3, but when I boot Red Hat FC5-ppc, driver load ...

  1. IBM RS/6000 7025-F50 - ServeRaid (IPS) linux driver failure

    Good day.

    Did anyone succeed to make linux IPS driver work for IBM Ultra3 4-channelRAID
    adapter? I've got one of these in my 7025-F50 and it works fine in AIX 5.3, but
    when I boot Red Hat FC5-ppc, driver load fails. When booting from rescue or
    install CD, I have got a long delay when loading ips.ko, and then kernel bug
    message displayed, something like this:

    [quote]
    BUG: Soft lockup detected on CPU#0
    NIP: C000B7B8 LR: F211D274 CTR: C000B7D0

    TASK: C2676950[397] 'loader' THREAD: C1D72000
    NIP:[C000B7B8] _delay+0x44/0x5c
    ips_send_wait+0x60/0xec [ips]
    ips_inst_phase2+0x13c/0xe0c
    [unquote]

    When I boot installed FC5 system (with all updates applied via 'yum'), kernel
    does not attempt to load IPS driver. When modprob-ing by hand, it complains
    about inability to allocate 256 bytes of IO memory. Quite a pity, as I'vegot
    two sixpacks loaded with disks connected to this controller. The controller
    itself is seen from Linux 'lspci' output as 'IBM ServeRAID adapter [4H]',and
    from AIX as:
    [quote]
    scraid0 P2-I2 PCI 4-Channel Ultra3 SCSI RAID Adapter

    Part Number.................09P1521
    EC Level....................0H10522
    Serial Number...............0031E463
    FRU Number..................37L6892
    Manufacturer................IBM
    Displayable Message.........UL3RAID
    Diagnostic Level............04
    Device Driver Level.........04
    Loadable Microcode Level....4.84.01
    ROS Level and ID............4.84.01
    Device Specific.(YL)........P2-I2
    [unquote]

    Again, under AIX this adapter looks OK, I am able to create arrays, volume
    groups, filesystems etc, nothing reported by 'errpt' command concerning this
    card.

    I have googled through but did not find any relevant information. Tried to
    remove one Ultra3 SCSI adapter from the system (which has boot disks on it), as
    we had similar trouble on IBM intel-based xServer 330 machine with ServeRAID 4L,
    where RedHat FC4 did not initialize RAID adapter until we disabled onboard
    Adaptec controllers. Nothing helped so far.

    Regards

    Alex

  2. Re: IBM RS/6000 7025-F50 - ServeRaid (IPS) linux driver failure

    AlexB ha scritto:
    > Good day.
    >
    > Did anyone succeed to make linux IPS driver work for IBM Ultra3 4-channel RAID
    > adapter? I've got one of these in my 7025-F50 and it works fine in AIX 5.3, but
    > when I boot Red Hat FC5-ppc, driver load fails. When booting from rescue or
    > install CD, I have got a long delay when loading ips.ko, and then kernel bug
    > message displayed, something like this:

    Hi Alex,
    I've got the same controller on a pSeries 620, model 7025-6F1. The
    controller is working fine under AIX, but nope for Linux.

    According to IBM the ServeRAID controllers are supported only on x86. In
    fact with kernel 2.4.32, you can compile it ONLY for x86 architecture.

    > When I boot installed FC5 system (with all updates applied via 'yum'), kernel
    > does not attempt to load IPS driver. When modprob-ing by hand, it complains
    > about inability to allocate 256 bytes of IO memory. Quite a pity, as I've got

    Something like this?

    kernel: PCI: Enabling device 2a:01.0 (0140 -> 0143)
    kernel: ips 2a:01.0:Unable to initialize controller
    kernel: ips 2a:01.0:Couldn't allocate IO space 291c00 len 256.

    Maybe the driver needs just some initialization code specific for PowerPC.

    Regards,
    Michele

  3. Re: IBM RS/6000 7025-F50 - ServeRaid (IPS) linux driver failure

    On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:37:09 +0200, Michele Lamarca wrote:

    >AlexB ha scritto:
    >> Good day.
    >>
    >> Did anyone succeed to make linux IPS driver work for IBM Ultra3 4-channel RAID
    >> adapter? I've got one of these in my 7025-F50 and it works fine in AIX5.3, but
    >> when I boot Red Hat FC5-ppc, driver load fails. When booting from rescue or
    >> install CD, I have got a long delay when loading ips.ko, and then kernel bug
    >> message displayed, something like this:

    >Hi Alex,
    >I've got the same controller on a pSeries 620, model 7025-6F1. The
    >controller is working fine under AIX, but nope for Linux.
    >
    >According to IBM the ServeRAID controllers are supported only on x86. In
    >fact with kernel 2.4.32, you can compile it ONLY for x86 architecture.
    >
    >> When I boot installed FC5 system (with all updates applied via 'yum'),kernel
    >> does not attempt to load IPS driver. When modprob-ing by hand, it complains
    >> about inability to allocate 256 bytes of IO memory. Quite a pity, as I've got

    >Something like this?
    >
    >kernel: PCI: Enabling device 2a:01.0 (0140 -> 0143)
    >kernel: ips 2a:01.0:Unable to initialize controller
    >kernel: ips 2a:01.0:Couldn't allocate IO space 291c00 len 256.
    >
    >Maybe the driver needs just some initialization code specific for PowerPC.
    >
    >Regards,
    > Michele

    Good day, Michele.

    I started suspecting this, as I have tried almost any linux distribution for PPC
    platform available and googled through about the issue with absolutely nothing
    found. Latest Debian 3.1r2 release with kernel 2.6.8 exhibits exactly same
    behavious, so does OpenSUSE 10.1. Kernel 2.4.27 from Debian gets stuck somewhere
    in the middle, so 2.6 is still the best guess. There is another driver/set of
    utilities in linux kernels called 'iprtools' for 'IBM PowerRAID' adapters, so I
    will start looking at one of those hardware options, maybe refurbished ones are
    available for a sensible cost.. Thanks for prompt reply!

    Alex

+ Reply to Thread