Help! Unable to initialize Linux-formatted HDD in G4 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Help! Unable to initialize Linux-formatted HDD in G4 - Powerpc ; I recently acquired a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120 GB ATA hard drive, to use as a second drive in my G4 (Sawtooth with upgraded 1.4 Ghz processor running 10.3.9, 1 GB RAM). The drive was previously formatted (by the original ...

  1. Help! Unable to initialize Linux-formatted HDD in G4

    I recently acquired a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120 GB ATA hard drive,
    to use as a second drive in my G4 (Sawtooth with upgraded 1.4 Ghz
    processor running 10.3.9, 1 GB RAM). The drive was previously formatted
    (by the original owner) on a Linux machine, and it is perhaps due to
    this--and (from what I have heard) to some Linux code inserted into the
    boot sector which is always left empty on a MAC OS-formatted disk--that
    I am unable to initialize or format the disk for use in my G4.

    Apple System Profiler does see the unmounted disk, but no other
    application does (including Drive Setup, Disk Warrior, or Norton when I
    run them from CD). I get a kernel panic ("you need to restart your
    computer") screen/message when I attempt to startup with the new drive
    configured as a slave and the already-installed 80 GB IBM/Hitachi
    Deskstar as the Master.

    Anyone had this problem before me, and achieved a satisfactory
    resolution? Please respond with any information that may prove useful
    to me--I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever of systems other than
    MAC OS!

    Many Thanks,

    Mist

  2. Re: Help! Unable to initialize Linux-formatted HDD in G4

    On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 15:28:51 -0700, Confusion & Distress wrote:

    > Anyone had this problem before me, and achieved a satisfactory resolution?

    Never had this exact problem, but I think that if you're sure that the HD
    is formatted with some linux related filesystem, you could start an
    installation CD (try the Debian netinstaller, it's a small download), come
    to the partitioning part, delete all partitions and then try again with
    apple's tools.

    http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/...pc-netinst.iso

    --
    Best Regards, Jack