help w/ ppc kernel upgrade. debian 3.1 mac mini - Powerpc

This is a discussion on help w/ ppc kernel upgrade. debian 3.1 mac mini - Powerpc ; -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am looking for a walkthrough or howto to upgrade the kernel on my mac mini debian system. It currently has a vanilla install of Debian Sarge 3.1 kernel 2.6.8 I need to upgrade the kernel to provide audio ...

  1. help w/ ppc kernel upgrade. debian 3.1 mac mini

    I am looking for a walkthrough or howto to upgrade the kernel on my mac mini
    debian system.

    It currently has a vanilla install of Debian Sarge 3.1 kernel 2.6.8

    I need to upgrade the kernel to provide audio hardware support.

    I have tried to install a kernel that is prepackaged from ppckernel.org but
    I am unable to make it boot properly. The kernel gets scared, and cannot
    mount a partition (3,3) I believe I am not configuring yaboot properly.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.

  2. Re: help w/ ppc kernel upgrade. debian 3.1 mac mini

    "Aaron Anderson" writes:
    >I am looking for a walkthrough or howto to upgrade the kernel on my mac mini
    >debian system.

    Well, after installing the Linux kernel and its modules, my
    ..bash_history contains:

    emacs /etc/yaboot.conf &
    ybin
    reboot

    >I have tried to install a kernel that is prepackaged from ppckernel.org but
    >I am unable to make it boot properly. The kernel gets scared, and cannot
    >mount a partition (3,3) I believe I am not configuring yaboot properly.

    Do you have a root line in your yaboot.conf, and is it set up
    properly?

    Here you find parts of my yaboot.conf (from an iBook):

    ## yaboot.conf generated by debian-installer
    ##
    ## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you have!!
    ## see also: /usr/share/doc/yaboot/examples for example configurations.
    ##
    ## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
    ## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

    boot=/dev/hda5
    device=/pci@f4000000/ata-6@d/disk@0:
    partition=2
    root=/dev/hda2
    timeout=100
    install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
    magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
    enablecdboot

    #a self-built kernel without initrd
    image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.9-perfctr-patched
    label=sarge-2.6.9
    read-only

    #a Debian-supplied kernel
    image=/boot/vmlinux-2.6.8-powerpc
    label=sarge-2.6.8
    read-only
    initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.8-powerpc

    - anton

  3. Re: help w/ ppc kernel upgrade. debian 3.1 mac mini

    I figured it out. I had to remove the initrd.img line from the .conf file.
    strarted right up

    thanks.

+ Reply to Thread