YDL4.1 on Beige G3 success - Powerpc

This is a discussion on YDL4.1 on Beige G3 success - Powerpc ; Just to let people know that YDL4.1 installs and runs fine on my old-world Beige G3. I boot via MacOS9+BootX since I've never been able to make quik work, and nowadays I need the MacOS9+BootX path anyway to initialize my ...

  1. YDL4.1 on Beige G3 success

    Just to let people know that YDL4.1 installs and runs fine on
    my old-world Beige G3. I boot via MacOS9+BootX since I've never
    been able to make quik work, and nowadays I need the MacOS9+BootX
    path anyway to initialize my G4 upgrade CPU's caches.

    Extract the non-G5 vmlinux and the ramdisk.image.gz from the
    first install iso, put them on the MacOS9 disk where BootX
    wants them, and boot with ramdisk enabled, ramdisk size 16384,
    and "text" as kernel option.

    At the end of the install the yaboot install will fail,
    but that's expected and what we want.

    I use my own kernels so I don't need initrds, but if you want
    to use YDL's kernel, copy the initrd the installer put in /boot
    to the MacOS9 disk where BootX can find it. You can probably
    do that from the installer's shell window, although I did it
    via a backup partition with my previous Linux (YDL4.0) install.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

  2. Re: YDL4.1 on Beige G3 success

    Mikael Pettersson wrote:
    > Just to let people know that YDL4.1 installs and runs fine on
    > my old-world Beige G3. I boot via MacOS9+BootX since I've never
    > been able to make quik work, and nowadays I need the MacOS9+BootX
    > path anyway to initialize my G4 upgrade CPU's caches.
    >
    > Extract the non-G5 vmlinux and the ramdisk.image.gz from the
    > first install iso, put them on the MacOS9 disk where BootX
    > wants them, and boot with ramdisk enabled, ramdisk size 16384,
    > and "text" as kernel option.
    >
    > At the end of the install the yaboot install will fail,
    > but that's expected and what we want.
    >
    > I use my own kernels so I don't need initrds, but if you want
    > to use YDL's kernel, copy the initrd the installer put in /boot
    > to the MacOS9 disk where BootX can find it. You can probably
    > do that from the installer's shell window, although I did it
    > via a backup partition with my previous Linux (YDL4.0) install.

    I have tried to boot again using the settings you gave me, but no luck.
    Apparently, 7300s can be problematic for installing using BootX. Which
    is the initrd filein /boot? IWhich is the best folder to install it into?
    Thanks for your help.

  3. Re: YDL4.1 on Beige G3 success

    In article ,
    reid anderson wrote:
    >Mikael Pettersson wrote:
    >> Just to let people know that YDL4.1 installs and runs fine on
    >> my old-world Beige G3. I boot via MacOS9+BootX since I've never
    >> been able to make quik work, and nowadays I need the MacOS9+BootX
    >> path anyway to initialize my G4 upgrade CPU's caches.
    >>
    >> Extract the non-G5 vmlinux and the ramdisk.image.gz from the
    >> first install iso, put them on the MacOS9 disk where BootX
    >> wants them, and boot with ramdisk enabled, ramdisk size 16384,
    >> and "text" as kernel option.
    >>
    >> At the end of the install the yaboot install will fail,
    >> but that's expected and what we want.
    >>
    >> I use my own kernels so I don't need initrds, but if you want
    >> to use YDL's kernel, copy the initrd the installer put in /boot
    >> to the MacOS9 disk where BootX can find it. You can probably
    >> do that from the installer's shell window, although I did it
    >> via a backup partition with my previous Linux (YDL4.0) install.

    >I have tried to boot again using the settings you gave me, but no luck.
    >Apparently, 7300s can be problematic for installing using BootX. Which
    >is the initrd filein /boot? IWhich is the best folder to install it into?

    For initial install the kernel is the vmlinux from boot/ and the
    ramdisk is the ramdisk.image.gz from images/, in the top-level
    directory of the YDL install disc1. The vmlinux file goes into
    MacOS9:System Folder:Linux Kernels:vmlinux
    and the ramdisk.image.gz file goes into
    MacOS9:System Folder:ramdisk.image.gz
    assuming your MacOS9 partition is called 'MacOS9'.

    (I don't know how MacOS9 would have referred to those paths; I'm
    using hfsutils to access the MacOS9 partition from Linux.)

    After install, there will be a vmlinux and an initrd in /boot
    on the Linux partition; copy the vmlinux file to the same place
    as before, and the initrd to MacOS9:System Folder:ramdisk.image.gz

    If you can't make this work, then perhaps you should try an
    older old-world supported release like YDL3.0.1 or YDL2.3.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

+ Reply to Thread