Installing YellowDog using BootX - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Installing YellowDog using BootX - Powerpc ; I am trying to install YellowDog Linux on an old world Mac using BootX. I have place the YD kernel into my Linux Kernels folder in the System folder and have selected the Ramdisk image under options in BootX, but ...

  1. Installing YellowDog using BootX

    I am trying to install YellowDog Linux on an old world Mac using BootX.
    I have place the YD kernel into my Linux Kernels folder in the System
    folder and have selected the Ramdisk image under options in BootX, but
    it still will not boot. The screen colors inverse and the CPU freezes.

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Installing YellowDog using BootX

    reid anderson schrieb:

    > I am trying to install YellowDog Linux on an old world Mac using BootX.
    > I have place the YD kernel into my Linux Kernels folder in the System
    > folder and have selected the Ramdisk image under options in BootX, but
    > it still will not boot. The screen colors inverse and the CPU freezes.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Well, under no circumstances should you provide any more information
    (like what Version of yellowdog you're trying on what kind of
    computer). Somebody might be able to help you then.

    :-)

  3. Re: Installing YellowDog using BootX

    jochenrollwagen@yahoo.com wrote:
    > reid anderson schrieb:
    >

    >>I am trying to install YellowDog Linux on an old world Mac using BootX.
    >>I have place the YD kernel into my Linux Kernels folder in the System
    >>folder and have selected the Ramdisk image under options in BootX, but
    >>it still will not boot. The screen colors inverse and the CPU freezes.
    >>
    >>Any suggestions?

    > Well, under no circumstances should you provide any more information
    > (like what Version of yellowdog you're trying on what kind of 1.2
    > computer). Somebody might be able to help you then.
    >
    > :-)

    I am installing YellowDog 4.0. The Mac is a PowerPC 7300 with 80 mb of
    RAM and a 2 GB Hard drive. I have tried switching the monitor to 256
    colors with 640 x 480 res. I can boot it with BootX 1.1.3 , but it
    freezes when it gets to mon>. Tried to exit the screen and go back to
    install, but wouldn't go. Next I tried BootX 1.2b1 , but this only
    causes screen colors to inverse and to freeze.

    Is there a way of doing a text install? I have MK lInux already
    installed on system. Could that be the problem too?

    Hopefully, this is enough info

  4. Re: Installing YellowDog using BootX

    In article ,
    reid anderson wrote:
    >jochenrollwagen@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> reid anderson schrieb:
    >>

    >>>I am trying to install YellowDog Linux on an old world Mac using BootX.
    >>>I have place the YD kernel into my Linux Kernels folder in the System
    >>>folder and have selected the Ramdisk image under options in BootX, but
    >>>it still will not boot. The screen colors inverse and the CPU freezes.
    >>>
    >>>Any suggestions?

    >> Well, under no circumstances should you provide any more information
    >> (like what Version of yellowdog you're trying on what kind of 1.2
    >> computer). Somebody might be able to help you then.
    >>
    >> :-)
    >>

    >I am installing YellowDog 4.0. The Mac is a PowerPC 7300 with 80 mb of
    >RAM and a 2 GB Hard drive. I have tried switching the monitor to 256
    >colors with 640 x 480 res. I can boot it with BootX 1.1.3 , but it
    >freezes when it gets to mon>. Tried to exit the screen and go back to
    >install, but wouldn't go. Next I tried BootX 1.2b1 , but this only
    >causes screen colors to inverse and to freeze.
    >
    >Is there a way of doing a text install? I have MK lInux already
    >installed on system. Could that be the problem too?

    Append "text" to the kernel command line. If you grabbed the vmlinux
    and ramdisk out of the YDL disc1 iso file, then you can see their
    yaboot.conf entries and what kernel options they use.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

  5. Re: Installing YellowDog using BootX

    Mikael Pettersson wrote:
    > In article ,
    > reid anderson wrote:
    >
    >>jochenrollwagen@yahoo.com wrote:

    >>>Well, under no circumstances should you provide any more information
    >>>(like what Version of yellowdog you're trying on what kind of 1.2
    >>>computer). Somebody might be able to help you then.
    >>>
    >>>:-)
    >>>

    >>I am installing YellowDog 4.0. The Mac is a PowerPC 7300 with 80 mb of
    >>RAM and a 2 GB Hard drive. I have tried switching the monitor to 256
    >>colors with 640 x 480 res. I can boot it with BootX 1.1.3 , but it
    >>freezes when it gets to mon>. Tried to exit the screen and go back to
    >>install, but wouldn't go. Next I tried BootX 1.2b1 , but this only
    >>causes screen colors to inverse and to freeze.
    >>
    >>Is there a way of doing a text install? I have MK lInux already
    >>installed on system. Could that be the problem too?

    > Append "text" to the kernel command line. If you grabbed the vmlinux
    > and ramdisk out of the YDL disc1 iso file, then you can see their
    > yaboot.conf entries and what kernel options they use.

    Should I do this in the kernel file itself or in the BootX window?

    Thanks for your help

  6. Re: Installing YellowDog using BootX

    In article ,
    reid anderson wrote:
    >>>I am installing YellowDog 4.0. The Mac is a PowerPC 7300 with 80 mb of
    >>>RAM and a 2 GB Hard drive. I have tried switching the monitor to 256
    >>>colors with 640 x 480 res. I can boot it with BootX 1.1.3 , but it
    >>>freezes when it gets to mon>. Tried to exit the screen and go back to
    >>>install, but wouldn't go. Next I tried BootX 1.2b1 , but this only
    >>>causes screen colors to inverse and to freeze.
    >>>
    >>>Is there a way of doing a text install? I have MK lInux already
    >>>installed on system. Could that be the problem too?

    >> Append "text" to the kernel command line. If you grabbed the vmlinux
    >> and ramdisk out of the YDL disc1 iso file, then you can see their
    >> yaboot.conf entries and what kernel options they use.

    >Should I do this in the kernel file itself or in the BootX window?

    The BootX window will have a line for kernel options, just add "text"
    (without the quotes) at the end of that line. The kernel will probably
    also need an option for the ram disk size; see YDL's yaboot.conf.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

  7. Re: Installing YellowDog using BootX

    Mikael Pettersson wrote:

    >>>Append "text" to the kernel command line. If you grabbed the vmlinux
    >>>and ramdisk out of the YDL disc1 iso file, then you can see their
    >>>yaboot.conf entries and what kernel options they use.

    >>Should I do this in the kernel file itself or in the BootX window?

    > The BootX window will have a line for kernel options, just add "text"
    > (without the quotes) at the end of that line. The kernel will probably
    > also need an option for the ram disk size; see YDL's yaboot.conf.

    Thanks Mikael, I'll give it another try !

+ Reply to Thread