iboog G4 vga out, requirements? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on iboog G4 vga out, requirements? - Powerpc ; Hi *, I would like to test the vga out of my ibook G4 (e.g. to be able to connect a larger monitor or a beamer). If I would be able to mirror the current screen 1:1 to the vga ...

  1. iboog G4 vga out, requirements?

    Hi *,
    I would like to test the vga out of my ibook G4 (e.g. to be able to connect a
    larger monitor or a beamer). If I would be able to mirror the current screen
    1:1 to the vga output I would be content, but if Xinerama would be
    possible I wouldn't mind too much ;-)

    What do I need for this? I have installed Debian Sarge, but I got the
    impression that I would need xorg for this (which is not part of Sarge
    AFAIK)? Which xserver would you recommend for this? X11R7.0?

    regards
    Thorsten
    --
    http://www.tgunkel.de

  2. Re: iboog G4 vga out, requirements?

    Thorsten Gunkel writes:
    >Hi *,
    >I would like to test the vga out of my ibook G4 (e.g. to be able to connect a
    >larger monitor or a beamer). If I would be able to mirror the current screen
    >1:1 to the vga output I would be content, but if Xinerama would be
    >possible I wouldn't mind too much ;-)

    You might be interested in my experiences
    <2005Oct12.125810@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
    <2005Oct14.184009@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>.

    However, you probably have different hardware from me, so you may see
    different results.

    >What do I need for this? I have installed Debian Sarge, but I got the
    >impression that I would need xorg for this (which is not part of Sarge
    >AFAIK)?

    Even if it is, you could try installing it from testing:

    apt-get install -t testing -s xserver-xorg

    If it does not pull in too much stuff you don't want, you can make it
    read (run the command without the -s).

    > Which xserver would you recommend for this? X11R7.0?

    My impression is that the newer ones work better for this stuff.

    - anton

  3. Re: iboog G4 vga out, requirements?

    Anton Ertl wrote:
    > Thorsten Gunkel writes:
    >>Hi *,
    >>I would like to test the vga out of my ibook G4 (e.g. to be able to connect a
    >>larger monitor or a beamer). If I would be able to mirror the current screen
    >>1:1 to the vga output I would be content, but if Xinerama would be
    >>possible I wouldn't mind too much ;-)

    > You might be interested in my experiences
    > <2005Oct12.125810@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>
    > <2005Oct14.184009@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>.
    > However, you probably have different hardware from me, so you may see
    > different results.

    I think we have very similar hardware:

    ,----
    `----

    ,----
    `----

    >> Which xserver would you recommend for this? X11R7.0?

    > My impression is that the newer ones work better for this stuff.

    > - anton

    regards
    Thorsten
    --
    http://www.tgunkel.de

  4. Re: iboog G4 vga out, requirements?

    Thorsten Gunkel wrote:
    > Hi *,
    > I would like to test the vga out of my ibook G4

    OK, I tried X11R6.9 because it seemed easier than X11R7.0 and as far as I
    understood there should be no difference [1].

    Then I copied xc/config/cf/xorgsite.def to xc/config/cf/host.def and added

    #define ProjectRoot /usr/local/X11R69
    #define NothingOutsideProjectRoot YES

    Now
    make World && make install
    This will take some time and needs more than 600 MB space [2]

    export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/X11R69/lib/
    /usr/local/X11R69/bin/Xorg :2 &

    I tried several xorg configurations with and without the old X server
    running. Everything I managed was 640x480 with 1:1 mirror. On the other hand
    I had several hard crashes. So maybe even X11R69 is not enough.

    regards
    Thorsten

    Footnotes:
    [1] http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R6.9.0/src-s....0-src.tar.bz2
    [2] http://ftp.x.org/pub/X11R6.9.0/doc/html/BUILD4.html
    --
    http://www.tgunkel.de

  5. Re: iboog G4 vga out, requirements?

    On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 02:06:32 +0100, Thorsten Gunkel wrote:

    > If I would be able to mirror the
    > current screen 1:1 to the vga output I would be content, but if Xinerama
    > would be possible I wouldn't mind too much ;-)

    The VGA mirroring is easy to get with an ATi9200 (as you do have, I read
    in the other post). You just need a properly configured xorg.conf.
    Try reading here:

    http://www.alessandroronchi.net/wiki/LinuxOnIBookG4

    > What do I need for this? I have installed Debian Sarge, but I got the
    > impression that I would need xorg for this (which is not part of Sarge
    > AFAIK)? Which xserver would you recommend for this? X11R7.0?

    xorg 6.9 is enough. You can get it from testing/unstable (don't know if
    it's already present as backport).

    --
    Best Regards, Jack
    Linux User #264449