Yellow Dog on Mac G4 Cube - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Yellow Dog on Mac G4 Cube - Powerpc ; Hi, I have a Mac G4 cube which I have been given with no OS installed, I've already had a fight with OS X which wouldn't install. I have managed to get Yellow Dog installed with no errors however it's ...

  1. Yellow Dog on Mac G4 Cube

    Hi,

    I have a Mac G4 cube which I have been given with no OS installed, I've
    already had a fight with OS X which wouldn't install. I have managed to
    get Yellow Dog installed with no errors however it's not booting, just
    sits there with the folder icon in the middle of the screen.

    On looking round the groups I've found numerous messages refering to
    Yaboot but nothing I try seems to do anything, although I have yet to
    try re-partitioning to include a 'bootstrap' partition as I thought
    that was what the /boot on Linux was for.

    Basically I'm lost, and have been for 3 days now. Has anyone had any
    experience with installing Yellow Dog on a Mac G4 cube (or any other
    Mac, if it's the same concept?).

    Thank you in advance.
    Humous.

  2. Re: Yellow Dog on Mac G4 Cube

    On 2006-02-28, Humous wrote:

    > I have a Mac G4 cube which I have been given with no OS installed, I've
    > already had a fight with OS X which wouldn't install. I have managed to
    > get Yellow Dog installed with no errors however it's not booting, just
    > sits there with the folder icon in the middle of the screen.
    >
    > On looking round the groups I've found numerous messages refering to
    > Yaboot but nothing I try seems to do anything, although I have yet to
    > try re-partitioning to include a 'bootstrap' partition as I thought
    > that was what the /boot on Linux was for.

    In this case, no. The bootstrap partition for yaboot is an
    Apple-specific partition type, where a partition that looks bootable to
    the OpenFirmware is installed when you run yaboot. You will definitely
    need one of these to boot your G4 into linux. (That folder icon means
    that OF is looking for, and failing to find, a bootable partition.)

    The x86 analogue is lilo installed to the MBR. OF doesn't look for an
    MBR, so something else needs to take its place; the bootstrap partition
    does this. (IIRC the YDL installer will ask if you want a bootstrap
    partition; you should allow it to do it for you, if it asks.)

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: Yellow Dog on Mac G4 Cube

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > In this case, no. The bootstrap partition for yaboot is an
    > Apple-specific partition type, where a partition that looks bootable to
    > the OpenFirmware is installed when you run yaboot. You will definitely
    > need one of these to boot your G4 into linux. (That folder icon means
    > that OF is looking for, and failing to find, a bootable partition.)
    >
    > The x86 analogue is lilo installed to the MBR. OF doesn't look for an
    > MBR, so something else needs to take its place; the bootstrap partition
    > does this. (IIRC the YDL installer will ask if you want a bootstrap
    > partition; you should allow it to do it for you, if it asks.)
    >
    > --keith

    Thanks Keith, I re-ran through the YDL installation and managed to
    create the bootstrap partition, must have missed that lot the first
    time through.

    Humous.

  4. Re: Yellow Dog on Mac G4 Cube

    On 2006-03-01, Humous wrote:

    > Thanks Keith, I re-ran through the YDL installation and managed to
    > create the bootstrap partition, must have missed that lot the first
    > time through.

    I haven't done a YDL install in quite some time, but IIRC it was not
    immediately obvious from the installer that a bootstrap partition was
    required. It is hard, when you're porting a distro from x86, to
    account for all the quirks that exist on one platform but not another.

    Glad you got it working!