Can't boot from install CD - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Can't boot from install CD - Powerpc ; I recently purchased Suse Linux and I am trying to boot from the install CD1 on a MacIntosh PPC 7300 with 80 mb of Ram , 180 mhz processor and 2 Gb hard drive. Can't get the install image to ...

  1. Can't boot from install CD

    I recently purchased Suse Linux and I am trying to boot from the install
    CD1 on a MacIntosh PPC 7300 with 80 mb of Ram , 180 mhz processor and 2
    Gb hard drive. Can't get the install image to appear on the screen
    despite booting from the disk. I am holding down the "C" key that
    changes the BIOS settings to boot from a CD.

    Any suggestions on what the problem might be and how I might fix it? Do
    I need a custom kernel? Where could i get it?

  2. Re: Can't boot from install CD

    reid anderson schrieb:

    > I recently purchased Suse Linux and I am trying to boot from the install
    > CD1 on a MacIntosh PPC 7300 with 80 mb of Ram , 180 mhz processor and 2
    > Gb hard drive. Can't get the install image to appear on the screen
    > despite booting from the disk. I am holding down the "C" key that
    > changes the BIOS settings to boot from a CD.
    >
    > Any suggestions on what the problem might be and how I might fix it? Do
    > I need a custom kernel? Where could i get it?

    The Machine you are trying to boot on is a so-called "OldWorld" Mac.
    Booting from the install CD is only supported on "NewWorld" Macs
    (starting with the B&W G3).

    However, you can use BootX to run Linux on that machine.

    http://en.opensuse.org/PPC:Boot_pmac_oldworld

    On a more general note, on a machine with specs like that Linux only
    makes sense without X11 (the GUI). I guess the complete Suse Install
    with X11 will use a good deal of the 2 Gb already.

  3. Re: Can't boot from install CD

    That's an old-world Mac, and SUSE don't support it.

    http://www.penguinppc.org/about/distributions.php

  4. Re: Can't boot from install CD

    jochenrollwagen@yahoo.com writes:

    >reid anderson schrieb:
    >
    >> I recently purchased Suse Linux and I am trying to boot from the install
    >> CD1 on a MacIntosh PPC 7300 with 80 mb of Ram , 180 mhz processor and 2
    >> Gb hard drive.

    >On a more general note, on a machine with specs like that Linux only
    >makes sense without X11 (the GUI). I guess the complete Suse Install
    >with X11 will use a good deal of the 2 Gb already.

    You may be right about Suse, but in general this machine has plenty of
    room for Linux with X11, and lots of lightweight applications. My
    first Linux box was a 486/66 with 16MB RAM and 230MB disk, and X ran
    just fine. And Damn Small Linux demonstrates that this is still
    possible.

    Of course, bloated software will not run well on such a box, and there
    is quite a bit of bloatware that runs on top of X, but that does not
    mean that X itself will not run.

    - anton