Open Firmware Startup Manager freezes - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Open Firmware Startup Manager freezes - Powerpc ; I have Ubuntu and Kubuntu successfully installed on two different partitions on my NewWorld computer. Whenever I hold the option key down and try to use Open Firmware Startup Manager, if there is a linux O.S. present, whether on a ...

  1. Open Firmware Startup Manager freezes

    I have Ubuntu and Kubuntu successfully installed on two different
    partitions on my NewWorld computer. Whenever I hold the option key down
    and try to use Open Firmware Startup Manager, if there is a linux O.S.
    present, whether on a CD or installed on the computer, Startup Manager
    gets stuck. It shows me the Mac O.S.s and Linux with the pengiun image,
    but it gives me the spinning disk and doesn't proceed from there. I
    have given it several minutes but I'm never able to do anything. As a
    result I can't boot up my installed Linux. Does anyone have any ideas
    about how to deal with this?

    Thank you.

  2. Re: Open Firmware Startup Manager freezes

    On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 16:00:41 -0800, earthlingmike wrote:

    > Does anyone have any ideas about how to
    > deal with this?

    Well I'd say it is a good idea to setup yaboot in one of the two linux
    distributions. Btw, what's the point in having Ubuntu and Kubuntu?

    Boot a livecd (the installation CD could do), chroot yourself in one of
    the two distribution's root directory, write a suitable /etc/yaboot.conf
    and issue

    # ybin -v

    --
    Best Regards, Jack