How to change display resolution on G5 XServe (YDL 4.0.1) ? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on How to change display resolution on G5 XServe (YDL 4.0.1) ? - Powerpc ; I just installed YDL 4.0.1 on a G5 XServe and everything went reasonably smoothly, except it's stuck on 640x480 resolution. If I switch to the monitor's native resolution (1280x1024) then X won't start up and I have to restore /etc/X11/XF86Config ...

  1. How to change display resolution on G5 XServe (YDL 4.0.1) ?

    I just installed YDL 4.0.1 on a G5 XServe and everything went reasonably
    smoothly, except it's stuck on 640x480 resolution. If I switch to the
    monitor's native resolution (1280x1024) then X won't start up and I have
    to restore /etc/X11/XF86Config to get things working again.

    I could just about live with 640x480 if I had to, but I can't get at the
    buttons on some of the windows in KDevelop, so I have to find a solution
    for this.

    Paul

  2. Re: How to change display resolution on G5 XServe (YDL 4.0.1) ?

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:43:23 +0000, Paul Russell wrote:

    > I just installed YDL 4.0.1 on a G5 XServe and everything went reasonably
    > smoothly, except it's stuck on 640x480 resolution.

    Quick'n'dirty: boot an Ubuntu livecd, copy somewhere the
    /etc/X11/xorg.conf and then set it in your YDL installation

    A bit more elaborate: try to discover the horizontal and vertical
    frequencies of your monitor and setup manually your xorg.conf.

    --
    Best Regards, Jack
    Linux User #264449