Yaboot won't install, boot manually? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Yaboot won't install, boot manually? - Powerpc ; Hello. I'm trying to install Linux (Ubuntu) for the first time. I have a DVD with Ubuntu and a DVD with Kubuntu. I'm trying to install onto a brand new external hard drive. I've allowed the installation to automatically partition ...

  1. Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    Hello. I'm trying to install Linux (Ubuntu) for the first time. I have
    a DVD with Ubuntu and a DVD with Kubuntu. I'm trying to install onto a
    brand new external hard drive. I've allowed the installation to
    automatically partition the hard drive, I've tried doing it manually
    (creating a boot partition just after the first partition on the drive,
    which is a 32k apple partition, then creating a couple gigs as a swap,
    and one as / formatted ext 3) for both DVDs. In all cases I get the
    same problem:

    Base files and additional files are installed with no apparent problem,
    it asks me to set the time zone. Then it tries to install yaboot, as it
    tries to install the boostrap it stops and says "failed to install
    bootloader." I hit return and is says that it failed to install yaboot.
    It tells me I will need to boot manually and gives me the needed kernal
    arguments.

    Does anyone know what the problem is, or if there is a way around it? I
    don't know how to boot manually, all I know is if I hold down the c key
    it boots from the CD, if I hold down option it gives me a choice of
    what macintosh bootable partition to boot from.

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    earthlingmike@yahoo.com writes:
    >Then it tries to install yaboot, as it
    >tries to install the boostrap it stops and says "failed to install
    >bootloader." I hit return and is says that it failed to install yaboot.

    The following is probably not your problem, but just in case: One
    problem I had with installing yaboot is that ybin needs /dev/nvram
    support (the way I (re)installed yaboot, I saw that, but I guess you
    were using some automated way, that might not show you all the
    messages). If your kernel does not have that, it won't work. I would
    be surprised if the Ubuntu kernel missed that support, but you might
    still want to check it. The NVRAM options in my kernel config are:

    CONFIG_GENERIC_NVRAM=y
    CONFIG_PPCBUG_NVRAM=y
    CONFIG_NVRAM=y

    and the kernel spits out some "nvram:" messages on booting.

    - anton

  3. Re: Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:50:58 -0800, earthlingmike wrote:

    > Hello. I'm trying to install Linux (Ubuntu) for the first time. I have
    > a DVD with Ubuntu and a DVD with Kubuntu. I'm trying to install onto a
    > brand new external hard drive.

    Yaboot won't boot from external hard disks.

  4. Re: Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    Well, that explains it then, thanks!

    Does this mean essentially that I need to have Linux entirely on my
    master drive, or is it just Yaboot that I need to be concerned with?

  5. Re: Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:01:01 -0800, earthlingmike wrote:

    > Well, that explains it then, thanks!
    >
    > Does this mean essentially that I need to have Linux entirely on my
    > master drive, or is it just Yaboot that I need to be concerned with?

    not sure, you could try installing Yaboot on the master drive and try to
    boot from the external drive. But I'm not completely sure if that will
    work.
    You won't be able to install Yaboot on the external drive though.

  6. Re: Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    earthlingmike@yahoo.com writes:
    >Does this mean essentially that I need to have Linux entirely on my
    >master drive, or is it just Yaboot that I need to be concerned with?

    As soon as the Linux kernel runs, you are free to use any drive
    (supported by Linux drivers) for the various mounted file systems.

    I am not familiar enough with yaboot to tell if you can get away with
    even less than the kernel on the internal drive (most boot loaders
    have multiple stages, often with different capabilities wrt drives,
    file systems etc.).

    - anton

  7. Re: Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    o.k. thanks.

  8. Re: Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    wrote:

    > ... partition the hard drive, I've tried doing it manually
    > (creating a boot partition just after the first partition on the drive,
    > which is a 32k apple partition, then creating a couple gigs as a swap,
    > and one as / formatted ext 3) for both DVDs. ...

    This is the partition map where my debian_ppc is stored:

    kuxtu@g4l:~$ sudo mac-fdisk -l /dev/hdd
    ^^^^^^^^ aka /dev/rdisk0
    /dev/hdd
    # type name length base ( size ) system
    /dev/hdd1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1 ( 31.5k) Partition map
    /dev/hdd2 Apple_Bootstrap untitled 1601 @ 64 (800.5k) NewWorld bootblock
    /dev/hdd3 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 1984376 @ 1665 (968.9M) Linux swap
    /dev/hdd4 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 debian_ppc 9179688 @ 1986041 ( 4.4G) Linux native
    /dev/hdd5 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 linux-home 1953126 @ 11165729 (953.7M) Linux native
    /dev/hdd6 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 service 46917625 @ 13118855 ( 22.4G) Linux native

    Block size=512, Number of Blocks=60036480
    DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0

    take care of bootstrap partition
    - being the 1. partition after 'Apple_partition_map'
    - having a minimum (!) length of more than 800kB
    .... & follow the instruktions given by (IIRC -!) ybin to format the bootstrap partition.

    DISCLAIMER:
    1. Last time I was booting this G4/400 into debian_ppc all just went fine.
    It has been months ago. Last install was about Nov. '04. So please be
    careful on my 'IIRC' ;-)
    2. 'yaboot' is managing startup process on this machine by my default:

    ,---[ /etc/yaboot.conf ]-------
    | ## yaboot.conf generated by debian-installer
    | ##
    | ## ...
    |
    | boot=/dev/hdd2
    | device=/pci@f2000000/mac-io@17/ata-3@20000/disk@1:
    | partition=4
    | delay=10
    | defaultos=macosx
    | timeout=60
    | install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
    | magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot
    | enablecdboot
    | enableofboot
    | macosx=/dev/hda3
    |
    | image=/boot/vmlinux
    | label=Linux
    | root=/dev/hdd4
    | read-only
    | initrd=/boot/initrd.img
    `------------------------------

    hth &
    --
    regards

  9. Re: Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    David Kimpe wrote:

    > On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 11:01:01 -0800, earthlingmike wrote:
    >
    > > Well, that explains it then, thanks!
    > >
    > > Does this mean essentially that I need to have Linux entirely on my
    > > master drive, or is it just Yaboot that I need to be concerned with?

    > not sure, you could try installing Yaboot on the master drive and try to
    > boot from the external drive. But I'm not completely sure if that will
    > work.

    IIRC (!): bootstrap partion and root partition have to be on the same
    (physical) drive.

    > You won't be able to install Yaboot on the external drive though.

    ACK
    --
    regards

  10. Re: Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    Thank you!

    I'm also wondering, I have two internal hard drives. Can the Yaboot and
    root partitions work from the slave drive, or do they have to be on the
    master drive?

  11. Re: Yaboot won't install, boot manually?

    wrote:

    > Thank you!
    >
    > I'm also wondering, I have two internal hard drives. Can the Yaboot and
    > root partitions work from the slave drive, or do they have to be on the
    > master drive?

    '/dev/hdd' _is_ (secondary) slave ... ;-)
    --
    regards

+ Reply to Thread