install mac os X on a linux PB G3 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on install mac os X on a linux PB G3 - Powerpc ; hi, I recently had from my parents a G3 with OS 9 but I didn't have enough RAM to install OS 10.4, so I ordered the RAM on eBay, and meamwhile I installed ubuntu on it. Now I have the ...

  1. install mac os X on a linux PB G3

    hi, I recently had from my parents a G3 with OS 9 but I didn't have
    enough RAM to install OS 10.4, so I ordered the RAM on eBay, and
    meamwhile I installed ubuntu on it.
    Now I have the RAM and I would like to have both the systems or maybe
    just try mac os X then go back to linux...

    how can I boot the Mac os X DVD and install it?
    the bootloader of ubuntu doesn't reed the DVD

    thx in advance

  2. Re: install mac os X on a linux PB G3

    fAl wrote:

    > hi, I recently had from my parents a G3 with OS 9 but I didn't have
    > enough RAM to install OS 10.4, so I ordered the RAM on eBay, and
    > meamwhile I installed ubuntu on it.
    > Now I have the RAM and I would like to have both the systems or maybe
    > just try mac os X then go back to linux...
    >
    > how can I boot the Mac os X DVD and install it?
    > the bootloader of ubuntu doesn't reed the DVD

    To say the least - not enough information.

    First some questions:

    1. Does your PowerBook read DVD:s at all?
    2. Is your model supported by Mac OS 10.4 (does it have FireWire)?
    3. Is it even supported by Mac OS X (does it have USB ports)?

    Now to some answers:

    4. You can boot from the DVD by pressing the C key when you boot.
    5. Mac OS 9 should have no problem recognizing the Tiger DVD.
    6. You need a separate partition for Tiger or it will overwrite
    much of your linux installation with unpredictable results.

    --
    I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
    to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

  3. Re: install mac os X on a linux PB G3

    Anders Eklöf wrote:
    > fAl wrote:
    >
    > > hi, I recently had from my parents a G3 with OS 9 but I didn't have
    > > enough RAM to install OS 10.4, so I ordered the RAM on eBay, and
    > > meamwhile I installed ubuntu on it.
    > > Now I have the RAM and I would like to have both the systems or maybe
    > > just try mac os X then go back to linux...
    > >
    > > how can I boot the Mac os X DVD and install it?
    > > the bootloader of ubuntu doesn't reed the DVD

    > To say the least - not enough information.
    >
    > First some questions:
    >
    > 1. Does your PowerBook read DVD:s at all?
    > 2. Is your model supported by Mac OS 10.4 (does it have FireWire)?
    > 3. Is it even supported by Mac OS X (does it have USB ports)?

    that's not the problem!!!!!
    of course the G3 is compatible, it's the firewire version (2 firewire,
    2 USB).

    > Now to some answers:
    >
    > 4. You can boot from the DVD by pressing the C key when you boot.
    > 5. Mac OS 9 should have no problem recognizing the Tiger DVD.
    > 6. You need a separate partition for Tiger or it will overwrite
    > much of your linux installation with unpredictable results.
    >
    > --
    > I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
    > to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

    The problem is that I've putten ubuntu linux on it and completely
    removed mac os 9, so linux has changed the boot loader, and it doesn't
    recognize the DVD!!!! so I can't install...

  4. Re: install mac os X on a linux PB G3

    Al wrote:

    > Anders Eklöf wrote:

    > > 1. Does your PowerBook read DVD:s at all?
    > > 2. Is your model supported by Mac OS 10.4 (does it have FireWire)?
    > > 3. Is it even supported by Mac OS X (does it have USB ports)?

    > that's not the problem!!!!!
    > of course the G3 is compatible, it's the firewire version (2 firewire,
    > 2 USB).

    I had to ask, since you didn't tell in the first place...
    And you haven't answered the first question - yet.

    > > Now to some answers:
    > >
    > > 4. You can boot from the DVD by pressing the C key when you boot.
    > > 5. Mac OS 9 should have no problem recognizing the Tiger DVD.
    > > 6. You need a separate partition for Tiger or it will overwrite
    > > much of your linux installation with unpredictable results.

    > The problem is that I've putten ubuntu linux on it and completely
    > removed mac os 9, so linux has changed the boot loader, and it doesn't
    > recognize the DVD!!!! so I can't install...

    I could have guessed as much but it's good to be sure.
    Again, are you sure you have a DVD drive ?
    And have you tried booting with the C key pressed ?

    --
    I recommend Macs to my friends, and Windows machines
    to those whom I don't mind billing by the hour

  5. Re: install mac os X on a linux PB G3

    Anders Eklöf wrote:

    > I could have guessed as much but it's good to be sure.
    > Again, are you sure you have a DVD drive ?
    > And have you tried booting with the C key pressed ?

    I do have a DVD drive.
    The ubuntu booting system asks: 'press I for GNU/Linux' and 'press C
    for CDROM'
    so I continued pressing C (since the beginning) and the DVD starts
    turning, but the system doesn't play the bootable DVD (I hope it is
    bootable because I converted a dmg image to *.iso from my PC).

    It seems like I should try to put an other boot loader like yaboot, do
    you think it could be working better?

  6. Re: install mac os X on a linux PB G3

    Anders Eklöf wrote:

    > I could have guessed as much but it's good to be sure.
    > Again, are you sure you have a DVD drive ?
    > And have you tried booting with the C key pressed ?

    I do have a DVD drive.
    The ubuntu booting system asks on startup: 'press I for GNU/Linux' and
    'press C for CDROM'
    so I continued pressing C (since the beginning) and the DVD starts
    turning, but the system doesn't play the bootable DVD (I hope it is
    bootable because I converted a dmg image to *.iso from my PC).

    It seems like I should try to put an other boot loader like yaboot, do
    you think it could be working better?

  7. Re: install mac os X on a linux PB G3

    "Al" wrote in message
    <1133898206.900047.50980@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.c om>:

    > (I hope it is bootable because I converted a dmg image to *.iso from
    > my PC).

    Perhaps you should try with an original MacosX DVD to check if the
    problem comes from this.

    > It seems like I should try to put an other boot loader like yaboot, do
    > you think it could be working better?

    The ubuntu booting system is already yaboot. If you boot pressing C, you
    should not get to yaboot, but boot directly from the CD.

    If it doesn't work, try to boot pressing the "alt" key. There should be
    a graphical display of the available booting discs. You can insert the
    CD, click on the "reload" (turning arrow) button and wait. The CD should
    appear and you should be able to select it and try to boot from it
    (straight arrow).

    bli

  8. Re: install mac os X on a linux PB G3

    In article <1133710248.376258.116330@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    "Al" wrote:

    > hi, I recently had from my parents a G3 with OS 9 but I didn't have
    > enough RAM to install OS 10.4, so I ordered the RAM on eBay, and
    > meamwhile I installed ubuntu on it.
    > Now I have the RAM and I would like to have both the systems or maybe
    > just try mac os X then go back to linux...
    >
    > how can I boot the Mac os X DVD and install it?
    > the bootloader of ubuntu doesn't reed the DVD
    >
    > thx in advance

    What bootloader are you using with ubuntu? Have you tried zapping the
    PRAM? Hold down option+command+p+r on startup and then try it.

    --
    "My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken"
    --The Full Monty

+ Reply to Thread