NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!! - Powerpc

This is a discussion on NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!! - Powerpc ; Finally, the announcement of non-Apple PPC laptops!! http://www.genesippc.com/press.php?date=20051129...

  1. NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!!

    Finally, the announcement of non-Apple PPC laptops!!

    http://www.genesippc.com/press.php?date=20051129

  2. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!!

    In article <1133417695.338693.91350@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    "abpp" wrote:

    > Finally, the announcement of non-Apple PPC laptops!!
    >
    > http://www.genesippc.com/press.php?date=20051129

    Aha, now we know why Apple are moving to to Intel CPUs ...
    --
    W. Oates
    "I thought I was the last son of Krypton,

  3. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!!

    Not quite, I don't think. My guess is that IBM looked for new PPC
    customers after Apple switched to Intel.

    Apple's current hardware goals were more in line with Intel's processor
    vision. It made sense to switch.

    That and, really, the PPC chips just aren't that great for mobile
    computing.

  4. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!!

    well not quite as that is a ppc603 cpu in that laptop so I don't know
    what apple would be worried about

    Warren Oates wrote:
    > In article <1133417695.338693.91350@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.c om>,
    > "abpp" wrote:
    >

    >>Finally, the announcement of non-Apple PPC laptops!!
    >>
    >>http://www.genesippc.com/press.php?date=20051129

    > Aha, now we know why Apple are moving to to Intel CPUs ...

  5. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!!

    Actually, the design of this chip is great for mobile computing.

    This one is made on the MIPS architecture with an embedded design for
    low power-consumption and heat dissipation. MIPS chips is what they use
    in Windows CE devices, Cisco routers, the Nintendo 64 console, the Sony
    PlayStation 1 & 2 consoles, and PSP.

    tonytoepfer@gmail.com wrote:
    >.
    >.
    >.
    > That and, really, the PPC chips just aren't that great for mobile
    > computing.

  6. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!!

    Well, the Freescale MPC5200 is just based on the PPC MPC603e. The
    MPC5200 is an embedded design with a lot more perks specially made for
    mobile and small size systems.

    Jef Tenner wrote:
    > well not quite as that is a ppc603 cpu in that laptop so I don't know
    > what apple would be worried about

  7. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!!

    tonytoepfer@gmail.com writes:
    >Apple's current hardware goals were more in line with Intel's processor
    >vision. It made sense to switch.

    My guess then is that Apple's current hardware goals are to reduce
    their hardware and firmware development staff. I was wondering why
    they had not done that when they switched from the 68k, but at least
    this gave us some nice affordable PPC hardware for installing Linux
    on.

    >That and, really, the PPC chips just aren't that great for mobile
    >computing.

    The PPC74xx chips used in current Apple laptops seem to be just as
    great for mobile computing as any of the Pentium chips. They may not
    have the best performance, but they are pretty good wrt power
    consumption.

    And the chips by P.A. Semi look like they will be very nice for mobile
    computing, if they are delivered on time.

    Followups set to comp.os.linux.powerpc

    - anton

  8. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!!

    In article <2005Dec4.152628@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at>,
    anton@mips.complang.tuwien.ac.at (Anton Ertl) wrote:

    > My guess then is that Apple's current hardware goals are to reduce
    > their hardware and firmware development staff. I was wondering why
    > they had not done that when they switched from the 68k, but at least
    > this gave us some nice affordable PPC hardware for installing Linux
    > on.

    At the time, most were expecting a clean RISC victory over CISC. The
    PowerPC partners expected the PowerPC architecture to take off and take
    over Windows from x86; Apple thought they were just skipping the
    intermediate chip.

    People underestimated Intel's ability to redesign their chips while
    keeping backwards compatibility. Eventually Intel fell for the same
    trap, and it was AMD that kept the x86 instruction set going.

    So here we are.

    (It's too bad. I really don't like working on little endian chips. Oh
    well.)

    -- Steve

  9. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOPS!!

    On 1 Dec 2005 13:15:44 -0800
    tonytoepfer@gmail.com wrote:

    > Not quite, I don't think. My guess is that IBM looked for new PPC
    > customers after Apple switched to Intel.

    It uses Freescale, not IBM CPUs.

+ Reply to Thread