gentoo ppc on beige g3 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on gentoo ppc on beige g3 - Powerpc ; I'm having problems installing gentoo 2005.1 and 2005.0 on a beige g3/400mhz box. It's got 384mb ram, ati rage 128 16mb card for video in a pci slot. I've managed to get bootx to start loading the cd....at first I ...

  1. gentoo ppc on beige g3

    I'm having problems installing gentoo 2005.1 and 2005.0 on a beige
    g3/400mhz box. It's got 384mb ram, ati rage 128 16mb card for video in a
    pci slot. I've managed to get bootx to start loading the cd....at first I
    get a few lines of info on the boot then up pops a cute little penguin in
    the upper left corner of my 21" nokia display. The CD runs for a minute
    or so then quits....and that's it. At first I thought it had hung but
    then just for grins I typed (blindly) "shutdown -h now" and...it shutdown.
    So it's not a total flop...but I have a video problem. I've tried
    everything I can think of. Bootx with video parameters of: ofonly
    aty128fb aty128 aty128:1280x1024@85 and no video parameters at all. The
    ame result every time...well when I unchecked the video block on bootx
    sceen it actually didn't show the penguin anymore...but all else worked
    te same. Anyone have any fresh ideas?

    Thanks!

    coldfire

  2. Re: gentoo ppc on beige g3

    For gentoo, I would recommend going to forums.gentoo.org
    The forums are *very* extensive and active.

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:26:20 -0500, Mud wrote:

    > I'm having problems installing gentoo 2005.1 and 2005.0 on a beige
    > g3/400mhz box. It's got 384mb ram, ati rage 128 16mb card for video in a
    > pci slot. I've managed to get bootx to start loading the cd....at first
    > get a few lines of info on the boot then up pops a cute little penguin in
    > the upper left corner of my 21" nokia display. The CD runs for a minute
    > or so then quits....and that's it. At first I thought it had hung but
    > then just for grins I typed (blindly) "shutdown -h now" and...it
    > shutdown.
    > So it's not a total flop...but I have a video problem. I've tried
    > everything I can think of. Bootx with video parameters of: ofonly
    > aty128fb aty128 aty128:1280x1024@85 and no video parameters at all. The
    > ame result every time...well when I unchecked the video block on bootx
    > sceen it actually didn't show the penguin anymore...but all else worked
    > te same. Anyone have any fresh ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > coldfire

  3. Re: gentoo ppc on beige g3

    I know there is a revision of the beige that might not be
    supported in linux / X11 ...
    (about a year ago it didn't work.)

    --
    een appeltje te schillen met
    http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/apple/

  4. Re: gentoo ppc on beige g3

    1) I have one tower g3 and don't have aty128 card, that card doesn
    exist when g3 tower was designed. May be you have one of these but
    check. My card is an aty64.

    2) aty128 desn't suport 128x1024 resolution at 85 Hz, try 1024 x 768 at
    75 Hz.

    Hope this help.

    Pietro Pesci Feltri

  5. Re: gentoo ppc on beige g3

    On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 06:51:25 -0800, ppesci@gmail.com wrote:

    > 1) I have one tower g3 and don't have aty128 card, that card doesn
    > exist when g3 tower was designed. May be you have one of these but
    > check. My card is an aty64.
    >
    > 2) aty128 desn't suport 128x1024 resolution at 85 Hz, try 1024 x 768 at
    > 75 Hz.

    Thanks for the response. I'm running the aty128 at 1280x1024@85hz right
    now in mac OS 8.6 but I'll try 1024x768@75 to see how that does. thanks
    for the suggestion.

    the aty64 is built into the motherboard....I have thought of digging up an
    old apple monitor and hooking it up to the mobo video output. I think
    that may be the only solution.

    thanks again for your input

    coldfire

  6. Re: gentoo ppc on beige g3

    At Thu, 2005-12-01 05:03 "Mud" posted
    to comp.os.linux.powerpc:

    > the aty64 is built into the motherboard....
    > I have thought of digging up an old apple monitor and
    > hooking it up to the mobo video output.
    > I think that may be the only solution.

    You are correct to the best of my understanding...
    the boot ROMs in the beige G3 are only going to display on
    the mobo video... you must use the mobo video during install,
    but once you've got linux installed, you can configure linux
    to work on your other video output. The G3 will only boot an
    MacOS9 system whereupon the Control Panel BootX vectors the
    boot process off to your linux installation which then can
    activate other video. Once that works, you can do away with
    the old Apple video monitor.

    --
    All information and transactions are non negotiable and private
    between the parties. All rights reserved without prejudice.

  7. Re: gentoo ppc on beige g3

    Ok Mud, i don't knew you had 2 video cards.
    Angela point's several useful things. May be in extreme case you must
    disconnect tha aty128 card in instalation process and then install it.

    I have a G4/400 (i am writing this on these machine) that has a aty 128
    and the resolution goes up 1024 x 768. I know in MacOS you can do a
    better resolution but the Linux drivers for these card is generic and
    the best resolution possible until now is 1024 x 768 (in Linux).

    Anyway, if you get a better resolution, tell me .

    If you have problems configuring your aty128, then i can post my
    XF86config file that working fine.

    Tell me how goes the configuration process.

    Pietro Pesci Feltri

  8. Re: gentoo ppc on beige g3

    Angela Kahealani wrote:

    > At Thu, 2005-12-01 05:03 "Mud" posted
    > to comp.os.linux.powerpc:
    >
    >> the aty64 is built into the motherboard....
    >> I have thought of digging up an old apple monitor and
    >> hooking it up to the mobo video output.
    >> I think that may be the only solution.

    > You are correct to the best of my understanding...
    > the boot ROMs in the beige G3 are only going to display on
    > the mobo video... you must use the mobo video during install,
    > but once you've got linux installed, you can configure linux
    > to work on your other video output. The G3 will only boot an
    > MacOS9 system whereupon the Control Panel BootX vectors the
    > boot process off to your linux installation which then can
    > activate other video. Once that works, you can do away with
    > the old Apple video monitor.

    That sounds interesting, I managed booting linux on a oldworld with a pci
    sonata Sd video card chipset trident i suppose without success , you tell
    that after a installation is possible to have it working? is there a link
    that explain the process?

  9. Re: gentoo ppc on beige g3

    At Thu, 2005-12-01 19:17 "andrea" posted
    <438f9278$0$27599$4fafbaef@reader1.news.tin.it> to
    comp.os.linux.powerpc:
    > That sounds interesting, I managed booting linux on a oldworld with a
    > pci sonata Sd video card chipset trident i suppose without success ,
    > you tell that after a installation is possible to have it working? is
    > there a link that explain the process?

    well, obviously the linux distro has to support the video card you have,
    right? I know nothing of the brand of card you mention... so... back to
    http://www.google.com/linux

    --
    All information and transactions are non negotiable and private
    between the parties. All rights reserved without prejudice.
    Copyright 2005 Angela Kahealani http://www.kahealani.com/

  10. Re: gentoo ppc on beige g3

    In article ,
    Mud wrote:

    > I'm having problems installing gentoo 2005.1 and 2005.0 on a beige
    > g3/400mhz box. It's got 384mb ram, ati rage 128 16mb card for video in a
    > pci slot. I've managed to get bootx to start loading the cd....at first I
    > get a few lines of info on the boot then up pops a cute little penguin in
    > the upper left corner of my 21" nokia display. The CD runs for a minute
    > or so then quits....and that's it. At first I thought it had hung but
    > then just for grins I typed (blindly) "shutdown -h now" and...it shutdown.
    > So it's not a total flop...but I have a video problem. I've tried
    > everything I can think of. Bootx with video parameters of: ofonly
    > aty128fb aty128 aty128:1280x1024@85 and no video parameters at all. The
    > ame result every time...well when I unchecked the video block on bootx
    > sceen it actually didn't show the penguin anymore...but all else worked
    > te same. Anyone have any fresh ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > coldfire

    I don't know if you got a useful solution to this yet, but I have two
    beige G3's. One tower and one desktop. Try these kernel arguments:

    ramdisk_size=34000 rw init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs
    loop=/livecd.squashfs udev nodevfs cdroot root=/dev/ram0
    video=atyfb:1280x1024

    I used these to install 2005.1 on them.

    Stop by the gentoo fourms. I started a thread there while I was getting
    this all worked out. Leave the video setting in BootX UNchecked.

    --
    "My Break-Dancing days are over, but there's always the Funky Chicken"
    --The Full Monty

+ Reply to Thread