GNUStep and WindowMaker for Yellow Dog Linux - Powerpc

This is a discussion on GNUStep and WindowMaker for Yellow Dog Linux - Powerpc ; Hello, all! I have a newbie question about desktop environments and window managers. My Power Mac 7500 is almost ready from its improvements, and I plan on installing YDL 4.0.1 on it once it is ready. I would like a ...

  1. GNUStep and WindowMaker for Yellow Dog Linux

    Hello, all!

    I have a newbie question about desktop environments and window managers.

    My Power Mac 7500 is almost ready from its improvements, and I plan on
    installing YDL 4.0.1 on it once it is ready.

    I would like a Mac-like desktop system for it, but I have never run
    linux before, so I need some guidance.

    Is GNUStep a desktop environment, similiar to KDE and GNOME, or is it
    something orthogonal (just an IDE)?

    If GNUStep is a desktop environment, how difficult is it to install
    WindowMaker as a window manager for Yellow Dog? I understand that KDE is
    ready to run out of the box (I don't know what window manager runs with
    KDE out of the box, maybe someone can help; is KDE a window manager as
    well?), and I don't know what is involved in installing a non-default
    environment like GNUStep/WindowMaker.

    Once WindowMaker is in place, how hard is installing GNUStep?

    If I am off base (GNUStep is not a desktop environment), or this is too
    difficult, I can always just run KDE (it is a Solaris/CDE-like desktop
    system, which isn't a bad second choice), but I would prefer
    GNUStep/WindowMaker.

    Any help (and as much detail as possible, I am a complete newbie -
    haven't even done the firet install yet) is appreciated.

    Sincerely,
    --
    Jeffrey Rolland

  2. Re: GNUStep and WindowMaker for Yellow Dog Linux

    In article ,
    Jeffrey Rolland wrote:

    > Hello, all!
    >
    > I have a newbie question about desktop environments and window managers.
    >
    > My Power Mac 7500 is almost ready from its improvements, and I plan on
    > installing YDL 4.0.1 on it once it is ready.

    I hope others chime in with other opinions and advice. I just have
    mine.

    Load up YDL and use it right out of the box. Use it as it is set up and
    learn changes as you go. The knowledge will build on itself and soon
    you will be able of bop things around as much as you want.

    I beleive KDE is both a window manager (The 'window manager' may just
    be called 'K'- could be wrong) and a system of applications which can
    be easily configured to work together.

    > I would like a Mac-like desktop system for it, but I have never run
    > linux before, so I need some guidance.
    >
    > Is GNUStep a desktop environment, similiar to KDE and GNOME, or is it
    > something orthogonal (just an IDE)?
    >
    > If GNUStep is a desktop environment, how difficult is it to install
    > WindowMaker as a window manager for Yellow Dog? I understand that KDE is
    > ready to run out of the box (I don't know what window manager runs with
    > KDE out of the box, maybe someone can help; is KDE a window manager as
    > well?), and I don't know what is involved in installing a non-default
    > environment like GNUStep/WindowMaker.

    It's not hard. You can edit one file by hand (.xinitrc) or there might
    be a utility shell script with the window manager of your choice to do
    it for yyou.

    The beauty of all this GNU, Linux and free software is taht is is
    pretty well self documented. It is possible to do most anything you
    want by fiddling with it and reading all the documentation which comes
    along with the software.

    > Once WindowMaker is in place, how hard is installing GNUStep?
    >
    > If I am off base (GNUStep is not a desktop environment), or this is too
    > difficult, I can always just run KDE (it is a Solaris/CDE-like desktop
    > system, which isn't a bad second choice), but I would prefer
    > GNUStep/WindowMaker.
    >
    > Any help (and as much detail as possible, I am a complete newbie -
    > haven't even done the firet install yet) is appreciated.

    I have a "Companion to Installing Yellow Dog Linix 4.0.1" right next to
    me even as we speak. You are taken step by step through the process
    and to configuring X the first time around. It is on the YDL website
    and I suggest you DL it and follw the instuctions and then tinker with
    one thing at a time.

    Good luck.

    raoul

    > Sincerely,

  3. Re: GNUStep and WindowMaker for Yellow Dog Linux

    In article <291120052237023446%gr8raoul@yahoo.com>,
    raoul wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Jeffrey Rolland wrote:
    >
    > > Hello, all!
    > >
    > > I have a newbie question about desktop environments and window managers.
    > >
    > > My Power Mac 7500 is almost ready from its improvements, and I plan on
    > > installing YDL 4.0.1 on it once it is ready.

    > I hope others chime in with other opinions and advice. I just have
    > mine.
    >
    > Load up YDL and use it right out of the box. Use it as it is set up and
    > learn changes as you go. The knowledge will build on itself and soon
    > you will be able of bop things around as much as you want.
    >
    > I beleive KDE is both a window manager (The 'window manager' may just
    > be called 'K'- could be wrong) and a system of applications which can
    > be easily configured to work together.
    >

    > > I would like a Mac-like desktop system for it, but I have never run
    > > linux before, so I need some guidance.
    > >
    > > Is GNUStep a desktop environment, similiar to KDE and GNOME, or is it
    > > something orthogonal (just an IDE)?
    > >
    > > If GNUStep is a desktop environment, how difficult is it to install
    > > WindowMaker as a window manager for Yellow Dog? I understand that KDE is
    > > ready to run out of the box (I don't know what window manager runs with
    > > KDE out of the box, maybe someone can help; is KDE a window manager as
    > > well?), and I don't know what is involved in installing a non-default
    > > environment like GNUStep/WindowMaker.

    > It's not hard. You can edit one file by hand (.xinitrc) or there might
    > be a utility shell script with the window manager of your choice to do
    > it for yyou.
    >
    > The beauty of all this GNU, Linux and free software is taht is is
    > pretty well self documented. It is possible to do most anything you
    > want by fiddling with it and reading all the documentation which comes
    > along with the software.
    > >
    > > Once WindowMaker is in place, how hard is installing GNUStep?
    > >
    > > If I am off base (GNUStep is not a desktop environment), or this is too
    > > difficult, I can always just run KDE (it is a Solaris/CDE-like desktop
    > > system, which isn't a bad second choice), but I would prefer
    > > GNUStep/WindowMaker.
    > >
    > > Any help (and as much detail as possible, I am a complete newbie -
    > > haven't even done the firet install yet) is appreciated.

    > I have a "Companion to Installing Yellow Dog Linix 4.0.1" right next to
    > me even as we speak. You are taken step by step through the process
    > and to configuring X the first time around. It is on the YDL website
    > and I suggest you DL it and follw the instuctions and then tinker with
    > one thing at a time.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >
    > raoul

    Raoul,

    Thanks so much for your input.

    Unfortunately, I just got my computer back from the shop, and it turns
    out that I can't fit a new hard drive in it so I can't install YDL,
    so this is all moot.

    Thanks anyway,
    --
    Jeffrey Rolland

  4. Re: GNUStep and WindowMaker for Yellow Dog Linux

    Use debian ppc. You should have no trouble fitting in as long as you plan
    ahead.

  5. Re: GNUStep and WindowMaker for Yellow Dog Linux

    On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 08:31:33 GMT
    David Gurvich wrote:

    > Use debian ppc. You should have no trouble fitting in as long as you plan
    > ahead.

    Debian powerpc takes very little space and has a great selection of software available.

+ Reply to Thread