PPP connection freeze - Powerpc

This is a discussion on PPP connection freeze - Powerpc ; PPP dial-up connection starts well, negotiating and authorizing complete. I can resolve DNS, ping etc. The connection freeze immediately after start WWW or FTP or SSH sessions (large incoming data). I can ping with a large packets (by 1440 bytes) ...

  1. PPP connection freeze

    PPP dial-up connection starts well, negotiating and authorizing
    complete. I can resolve DNS, ping etc. The connection freeze immediately
    after start WWW or FTP or SSH sessions (large incoming data). I can ping
    with a large packets (by 1440 bytes) pretty long (much longer than
    usual), but connection froze then and ping said "buffer overflow". The
    physical connection looks up but no more packets received.

    Internal modem work fine under MacOS (like now) and it worked two year
    ago at Gentoo 1.4.

    I also try IrDA (internal) and USB-Blootooth (GPRS through Nokia),
    different kernels, different ppp version - same thing.

    I think something wrong in PPP or IP settings, maybe queueing or buffers
    size? What else should i check?

    Powerbook Wallstreet G3, Kernel 2.6.14, PPP 2.4.3, Gentoo.

    Axl

  2. Re: PPP connection freeze

    Axl> PPP dial-up connection starts well, negotiating and
    Axl> authorizing complete. I can resolve DNS, ping etc. The
    Axl> connection freeze immediately after start WWW or FTP or SSH
    Axl> sessions (large incoming data). I can ping with a large

    Axl> {...delete...]

    Axl> I think something wrong in PPP or IP settings, maybe queueing
    Axl> or buffers size? What else should i check?

    It's been a while since I've used PPP dial up, but this smells of a
    bad mtu setting. Take a look and see what the value is ('ifconfig
    ppp0' etc. and look for the MTU size). If I remember correctly many
    PPP sessions set this to 576, and maybe it is not being negotiated
    correctly.

    If you believe it works with MacOS and the same provider check the MTU
    size with MacOS.

    Good luck!

    Cheers!
    Shyamal

  3. Re: PPP connection freeze

    Shyamal Prasad wrote:

    > Axl> PPP dial-up connection starts well, negotiating and
    > Axl> authorizing complete. I can resolve DNS, ping etc. The
    > Axl> connection freeze immediately after start WWW or FTP or SSH
    > Axl> sessions (large incoming data). I can ping with a large
    >
    > Axl> {...delete...]
    >
    > Axl> I think something wrong in PPP or IP settings, maybe queueing
    > Axl> or buffers size? What else should i check?
    >
    > It's been a while since I've used PPP dial up, but this smells of a
    > bad mtu setting. Take a look and see what the value is ('ifconfig
    > ppp0' etc. and look for the MTU size). If I remember correctly many
    > PPP sessions set this to 576, and maybe it is not being negotiated
    > correctly.
    >
    > If you believe it works with MacOS and the same provider check the MTU
    > size with MacOS.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Cheers!
    > Shyamal

    Thank you.. i tried different MTU and MRU sizes from 300 to 1500...

+ Reply to Thread