Ibook G4 random shutdown - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Ibook G4 random shutdown - Powerpc ; Hi, I'm using a white Ibook G4 under debian testing (Linux ibook2 2.6.12-1-powerpc), everything works pretty well. But, from time to time (up to once an hour) the machine just stops, like a suden power cut (no matter if I'm ...

  1. Ibook G4 random shutdown

    Hi,

    I'm using a white Ibook G4 under debian testing (Linux ibook2
    2.6.12-1-powerpc), everything works pretty well.

    But, from time to time (up to once an hour) the machine just stops, like
    a suden power cut (no matter if I'm on battery or plugged). Hard disk
    stops, screen become black, the machine is shutted off.

    When I reboot the date is set to 01/01/1904.

    Does this symptom rings a bell to anybody? Could it be linux fault, or
    should I investigate for an hardware problem?

    Thanks for any help.

    Yannick

    --
    _/ Yannick Patois \_________________________________________________ __
    | web: http://feelingsurfer.net/garp/ | Garp sur IRC undernet/freenode |

  2. Re: Ibook G4 random shutdown

    On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:33:56 +0100, Yannick Patois wrote:

    > Does this symptom rings a bell to anybody? Could it be linux fault, or
    > should I investigate for an hardware problem?

    If the logs don't record anything I'd go for an hardware problem.
    I know it's a PITA, but try using OSX (if you have it installed) for a
    similar amount of time and see if it happens also there...

    Maybe run also a memtest, but if it's hardware I suspect it's something
    more serious...

    --
    Best Regards, Jack
    Linux user #264449