obscure ld.so ordering snafu with Firefox - Powerpc

This is a discussion on obscure ld.so ordering snafu with Firefox - Powerpc ; [This is a pretty Firefox-specific question, but I haven't found any answers over in the Mozilla- and Firefox-specific fora, so I'm risking a potentially off-topic post here; apologies if anyone is put out.] I'm trying to build Firefox 1.0.7 on ...

  1. obscure ld.so ordering snafu with Firefox

    [This is a pretty Firefox-specific question, but I haven't
    found any answers over in the Mozilla- and Firefox-specific fora,
    so I'm risking a potentially off-topic post here; apologies if
    anyone is put out.]

    I'm trying to build Firefox 1.0.7 on my SuSE 7.3 PowerBook.
    (I had built and run Firefox 1.0.earlier on the same machine
    without any trouble.) But there's some kind of screwy ordering
    dependency in its auxiliary libraries, because when I try to run
    it, it's complaining about an unresolved symbol:

    /usr/local/lib/firefox-1.0.7/firefox-bin: error while loading shared libraries:
    /usr/local/lib/firefox-1.0.7/components/libdocshell.so: undefined symbol: GetVisibility__C7nsIView

    Now, I've confirmed that GetVisibility__C7nsIView *is* defined
    (weakly), in another of the Firefox-specific component libraries:

    $ nm /usr/local/lib/firefox-1.0.7/components/libgklayout.so | grep GetVisibility__C7nsIView
    00c50f9c W GetVisibility__C7nsIView

    And both libdocshell.so and libgklayout.so do appear to be
    getting read when Firefox tries to start up. But I can see
    (based on the access times) that libgklayout.so is being searched
    *before* libdocshell.so, which may explain why a symbol in the
    latter isn't being resolved in the former.

    What I don't know is what's controlling the order in which these
    two things are searched. Neither of those two libraries is
    explicitly specified when the Firefox binary itself is built,
    so I'm getting the impression that Firefox is invoking ld.so
    directly, or something, to explicitly request the loading of this
    stuff at run-time. (Why they made things so complicated is beyond
    me...)

    Anybody have any idea how I might go about tracking this down,
    either to swap the order of libdocshell.so and libgklayout.so,
    or to add a second scan of libgklayout.so after libdocshell.so?
    I've mucked around a bit with LD_LIBRARY_PATH and ldconfig, but
    nothing I've tried so far has helped. I've also searched for
    whatever internal list of .so's Firefox might be using to pass
    to ld.so explicitly, but without success.
    --
    Steve Summit
    scs@eskimo.com

  2. Re: obscure ld.so ordering snafu with Firefox

    On Friday 28 Oct 2005 05:15 in article
    of comp.os.linux.development.apps,
    Steve Summit wrote:

    > /usr/local/lib/firefox-1.0.7/firefox-bin: error while loading shared
    > libraries: /usr/local/lib/firefox-1.0.7/components/libdocshell.so:
    > undefined symbol: GetVisibility__C7nsIView

    Did you run SuSEconfig after the build?

    BTW, SuSE 7.3 is ancient! There are rocks in my garden that aren't as
    old as that.

    --
    Regards

    Dave [RLU#314465]
    dwnoon@spamtrap.ntlworld.com (David W Noon)
    Remove spam trap to reply via e-mail.

  3. Re: obscure ld.so ordering snafu with Firefox

    David Noon wrote:
    >On Friday 28 Oct 2005 05:15 in article
    > of comp.os.linux.development.apps,
    >Steve Summit wrote:
    >> /usr/local/lib/firefox-1.0.7/firefox-bin: error while loading shared
    >> libraries: /usr/local/lib/firefox-1.0.7/components/libdocshell.so:
    >> undefined symbol: GetVisibility__C7nsIView

    > Did you run SuSEconfig after the build?

    No. I tried it just now, and it didn't help. Thanks for the
    suggestion, though.

    > BTW, SuSE 7.3 is ancient!

    Yeah, but it's what I've got! :-\

    I thought I heard they weren't supporting PPC any more.

  4. Re: obscure ld.so ordering snafu with Firefox

    On 10/28/2005 1:46 PM, Steve Summit said:
    > David Noon wrote:
    >
    >>On Friday 28 Oct 2005 05:15 in article
    >> of comp.os.linux.development.apps,
    >>Steve Summit wrote:
    >>
    >>>/usr/local/lib/firefox-1.0.7/firefox-bin: error while loading shared
    >>>libraries: /usr/local/lib/firefox-1.0.7/components/libdocshell.so:
    >>>undefined symbol: GetVisibility__C7nsIView

    >>Did you run SuSEconfig after the build?

    > No. I tried it just now, and it didn't help. Thanks for the
    > suggestion, though.
    >

    >>BTW, SuSE 7.3 is ancient!

    > Yeah, but it's what I've got! :-\
    >
    > I thought I heard they weren't supporting PPC any more.

    Plenty of other distros do, though. YDL, Mandiva, Ubuntu. Not sure how
    many are doable with OldWorld Macs, but I've even come close with Gentoo
    on my old WallStreet...

    cheers,

    David H

+ Reply to Thread