problem with BootX on a 4400 - Powerpc

This is a discussion on problem with BootX on a 4400 - Powerpc ; Hello, I installed a Debian Sarge on my old Powermac 4400/160. Everything went OK, I used BootX (oldworld mac) with a kernel and a ramdisk found in the debian netinst cd. The problem is : when I try to boot ...

  1. problem with BootX on a 4400

    Hello,

    I installed a Debian Sarge on my old Powermac 4400/160. Everything went
    OK, I used BootX (oldworld mac) with a kernel and a ramdisk found in
    the debian netinst cd.
    The problem is : when I try to boot the newly installed linux system
    with BootX, linux starts to boot normally but stops early in the
    process with a "kernel panic : unable to mount root fs" error, though I
    correctly told bootx to boot on /dev/hda8 (linux is installed on
    partition #8)

    I've searched almost everywhere, but found nothing at the moment. If
    someone knows anything about configuring BootX options...

  2. Re: problem with BootX on a 4400

    In article <1129372987.016313.285230@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    greendwarf wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I installed a Debian Sarge on my old Powermac 4400/160. Everything went
    >OK, I used BootX (oldworld mac) with a kernel and a ramdisk found in
    >the debian netinst cd.
    >The problem is : when I try to boot the newly installed linux system
    >with BootX, linux starts to boot normally but stops early in the
    >process with a "kernel panic : unable to mount root fs" error, though I
    >correctly told bootx to boot on /dev/hda8 (linux is installed on
    >partition #8)
    >
    >I've searched almost everywhere, but found nothing at the moment. If
    >someone knows anything about configuring BootX options...

    This isn't necessarily a BootX problem. Assuming /dev/hda8 really
    is your Linux /, and that you added root=/dev/hda8 to BootX'
    options field, then the failure can very well be because:
    - missing block device driver for hda
    - missing file system driver for whatever fs is on /dev/hda8
    - missing Apple partition support
    And these things can be missing due to the kernel being
    misconfigured, or because you built them as modules but didn't
    load them via an initrd.

    Your kernel's boot messages will probably identify the exact problem.
    --
    Mikael Pettersson (mikpe@csd.uu.se)
    Computing Science Department, Uppsala University

  3. Re: problem with BootX on a 4400

    Mikael Pettersson wrote:

    > In article <1129372987.016313.285230@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > greendwarf wrote:
    >>Hello,
    >>
    >>I installed a Debian Sarge on my old Powermac 4400/160. Everything went
    >>OK, I used BootX (oldworld mac) with a kernel and a ramdisk found in
    >>the debian netinst cd.
    >>The problem is : when I try to boot the newly installed linux system
    >>with BootX, linux starts to boot normally but stops early in the
    >>process with a "kernel panic : unable to mount root fs" error, though I
    >>correctly told bootx to boot on /dev/hda8 (linux is installed on
    >>partition #8)
    >>
    >>I've searched almost everywhere, but found nothing at the moment. If
    >>someone knows anything about configuring BootX options...

    > This isn't necessarily a BootX problem. Assuming /dev/hda8 really
    > is your Linux /, and that you added root=/dev/hda8 to BootX'
    > options field, then the failure can very well be because:
    > - missing block device driver for hda
    > - missing file system driver for whatever fs is on /dev/hda8
    > - missing Apple partition support
    > And these things can be missing due to the kernel being
    > misconfigured, or because you built them as modules but didn't
    > load them via an initrd.
    >
    > Your kernel's boot messages will probably identify the exact problem.

    I hope you are using the kernel from the installed system to boot with bootx
    and not the one that you pull to install . if not you must boot via CD and
    mount hda8 and macos partition and cp kernel to your installed system.
    There is an how to on ubunto web side you can google for it bye
    Andrea

  4. Re: problem with BootX on a 4400

    thanks for the replies.

    well I already tried this, copying the new kernel from install to the
    "linux kernels" folder used by bootx didn't help (same error
    message...)

    Anyway, I don't know if I can test all the points spotted by Mikael
    cause I couldn't get all the informations (i'm now using quik as
    bootloader, it seems very buggy but it boots linux anyway) but :
    - when booting w/ bootx all the tests done by the system seem OK
    (except my error...)
    - the fs on /dev/hda8 is ext2
    - I don't know how I can tell if there is a mising apple partition
    support... don't really know how that stuff works
    - I launched the install with a initrd.gz ramdisk.

    I'm now running debian with quik because I needed it quickly, but if I
    want to reinstall it someday I really hope I will fix this boot...

  5. Re: problem with BootX on a 4400

    I'm having the exact same problem with a pm7600 upgraded with a 500MHz G3
    card. Mac OS lives on a IDE drive and Kubantu was installed by itsself on a
    4.3g scsi. I followed the directions from the ubantu how-to substituting
    hde8, but I don't think I was successfull copying boot/vmlinux to the linux
    kernals folder in OS9.
    Any ideas?
    Scott.

    "greendwarf" wrote in message
    news:1129372987.016313.285230@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello,
    >
    > I installed a Debian Sarge on my old Powermac 4400/160. Everything went
    > OK, I used BootX (oldworld mac) with a kernel and a ramdisk found in
    > the debian netinst cd.
    > The problem is : when I try to boot the newly installed linux system
    > with BootX, linux starts to boot normally but stops early in the
    > process with a "kernel panic : unable to mount root fs" error, though I
    > correctly told bootx to boot on /dev/hda8 (linux is installed on
    > partition #8)
    >
    > I've searched almost everywhere, but found nothing at the moment. If
    > someone knows anything about configuring BootX options...

  6. Re: problem with BootX on a 4400

    If you're not afraid with Open Firmware, you can try the same thing I
    do now to boot linux or mac os with the help of an utility that sets
    OF's options in PRAM :

    - in mac os 9, install System Disk
    (http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/) or Boot
    Variables
    - follow the instructions given in the tutorial, you can tell open
    firmware to show the boot prompt at every startup... then you can type
    "boot" for linux, or "bye" for macos...

    on my 4400 it works great and does the same thing than bootx
    if you made a mistake, reset the PRAM with Command+P+R at startup, it
    will boot mac os directly without the OF's prompt.

+ Reply to Thread