Hello (I hope a PPC kernel dev reads this list :-(),

I am trying to figure out how to boot a simple "hello world" ``kernel''
on a NewWorld (OF 3.0) mac. Studying the
arch/ppc/boot/openfirmware/Makefile and
arch/ppc/boot/openfirmware/newworldmain.c, as well as other resouces, I
understand that my ``kernel'' will be an ELF file with a special note
section.
This note section is generated by the proggie mknote, and is then added
to the ELF file.

Here is where I get confused. All over the web there are explicit
warnings to not screw around with load-base and real-base on OF 3.0
machines. Yet, mknote sets ``load-base'' to 0x4000 (coincidentally the
default load-base on OF 1.0.5) in the descriptor. Does this not get
honored or am I missing something crucial?

snippet of mknote code...
20 /* header */
21 /* namesz */
22 PL(strlen("PowerPC")+1);