Debian on clean G3/Beige-OldWorld - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Debian on clean G3/Beige-OldWorld - Powerpc ; Hi, please give me some tips how to to install the GNU/Linux Debian Sarge (3.1r0a) on whole disk in PowerMac G3 Beige (no USB, last OldWorld). My idea is to boot directly from harddisk with lilo/grub/quik or anything - if ...

  1. Debian on clean G3/Beige-OldWorld

    Hi,
    please give me some tips how to to install the GNU/Linux Debian Sarge
    (3.1r0a) on whole disk in PowerMac G3 Beige (no USB, last OldWorld). My idea
    is to boot directly from harddisk with lilo/grub/quik or anything - if this
    would be possible - I want to avoid using the BootX from MacOs classic
    perspective to lauching Linux.

    For now, I'm able to boot the Debian setup from BootX(MacOS), repartition
    disk as desired, but finally, when time comes for bootloader instalation the
    quik fails and Mac doesn;t boot into Linux from HD.
    So, is it possible and how to make this things work without BootX (in
    G3/Beige-OldWorld)?

    Could someone point me to any advices about such solutions?

    --

    Regards,
    Krzysztof

  2. Re: Debian on clean G3/Beige-OldWorld

    Krzysztof Paz schrieb:

    > Hi,
    > please give me some tips how to to install the GNU/Linux Debian Sarge
    > (3.1r0a) on whole disk in PowerMac G3 Beige (no USB, last OldWorld). My idea
    > is to boot directly from harddisk with lilo/grub/quik or anything - if this
    > would be possible - I want to avoid using the BootX from MacOs classic
    > perspective to lauching Linux.
    >
    > For now, I'm able to boot the Debian setup from BootX(MacOS), repartition
    > disk as desired, but finally, when time comes for bootloader instalation the
    > quik fails and Mac doesn;t boot into Linux from HD.
    > So, is it possible and how to make this things work without BootX (in
    > G3/Beige-OldWorld)?
    >
    > Could someone point me to any advices about such solutions?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Regards,
    > Krzysztof

    Hi there,

    there's an OpenFirmware utility called SystemDisk that allows you to
    set OF variables like the device to boot from and son on. You can
    download it from apple.

    Read

    http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/macppc/SystemDisk-tutorial/

    for a description.