VPC video trouble - Powerpc

This is a discussion on VPC video trouble - Powerpc ; Just tried to install White Box Linux in a VPC machine on an IBM Thinkpad. I took the defaults and it came up in X mode and obviously is not right for the video and screen--unusable. I can re-install, but ...

  1. VPC video trouble

    Just tried to install White Box Linux in a VPC machine on an IBM
    Thinkpad. I took the defaults and it came up in X mode and obviously
    is not right for the video and screen--unusable.

    I can re-install, but it took a LONG time to install. Isn't there a
    way to switch to text-only mode at startup?

    Next question: Although I use to be a UNIX admin (circa 1985), it's
    been years, and I just barely got Red Hat to find the wireless access
    to Internet on another machine, I'm at a loss for what video settings
    would work on this machine, and how to change them once install has
    been completed.

  2. Re: VPC video trouble

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 07:19:27 -0700, J Burford Fields wrote:

    > Just tried to install White Box Linux in a VPC machine on an IBM
    > Thinkpad. I took the defaults and it came up in X mode and obviously
    > is not right for the video and screen--unusable.
    >
    > I can re-install, but it took a LONG time to install. Isn't there a
    > way to switch to text-only mode at startup?
    >
    > Next question: Although I use to be a UNIX admin (circa 1985), it's
    > been years, and I just barely got Red Hat to find the wireless access
    > to Internet on another machine, I'm at a loss for what video settings
    > would work on this machine, and how to change them once install has
    > been completed.

    J,

    To get to text-only from a stalled X-server just hold:

  3. Re: VPC video trouble

    Thanks Ward. I suspected there might be somebody who could politely
    clue me in. I'll give it a try.