Need help installing Mandriva 2005LE PPC on Old World Mac. - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Need help installing Mandriva 2005LE PPC on Old World Mac. - Powerpc ; I'm having problems installing mandriva linux 2005LE on an old world powermac. The install seems to go just fine until it gets to the RAMDISK then I get a kernel panic. Here is the text: Ramdisk: Compressed image found at ...

  1. Need help installing Mandriva 2005LE PPC on Old World Mac.

    I'm having problems installing mandriva linux 2005LE on an old world
    powermac. The install seems to go just fine until it gets to the RAMDISK
    then I get a kernel panic. Here is the text:

    Ramdisk: Compressed image found at block 0
    Ramdisk: incomplete write (-28 !=32768) 8388608
    Kernel Panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(3.8)
    <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds

    Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any ideas where i went wrong?

    Scott.

  2. Re: Need help installing Mandriva 2005LE PPC on Old World Mac.

    JS McAuley wrote:

    > I'm having problems installing mandriva linux 2005LE on an old world
    > powermac. The install seems to go just fine until it gets to the RAMDISK
    > then I get a kernel panic. Here is the text:
    >
    > Ramdisk: Compressed image found at block 0
    > Ramdisk: incomplete write (-28 !=32768) 8388608
    > Kernel Panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
    > unknown-block(3.8) <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds
    >
    > Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any ideas where i went wrong?
    >
    > Scott.

    Where you put ramdisk image? Mandrake needs u put in Linux Kernel folder,
    and u will need almost 32000 ramdisk in bootx otpion.
    bye

  3. Re: Need help installing Mandriva 2005LE PPC on Old World Mac.

    Thanks Andrea,
    I will increase the size of the ramdrive and give it another try. I think
    that may be my problem.
    Scott.
    "andrea" wrote in message
    > JS McAuley wrote:
    >
    > > I'm having problems installing mandriva linux 2005LE on an old world
    > > powermac. The install seems to go just fine until it gets to the RAMDISK
    > > then I get a kernel panic. Here is the text:
    > >
    > > Ramdisk: Compressed image found at block 0
    > > Ramdisk: incomplete write (-28 !=32768) 8388608
    > > Kernel Panic-not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
    > > unknown-block(3.8) <0>Rebooting in 180 seconds
    > >
    > > Can anyone point me in the right direction? Any ideas where i went

    wrong?

    > > Scott.

    > Where you put ramdisk image? Mandrake needs u put in Linux Kernel folder,
    > and u will need almost 32000 ramdisk in bootx otpion.
    > bye

  4. Re: Need help installing Mandriva 2005LE PPC on Old World Mac.

    JS McAuley wrote:

    > Thanks Andrea,
    > I will increase the size of the ramdrive and give it another try. I think
    > that may be my problem.
    > Scott.

    Let me know your success or not, what kind of oldworld machine you have?
    Last week I tried on a 4400 the 2005LE, but after language section a message
    about keymap broken appeared and nothing to do only reboot. I tried burning
    another cdrom, installation via NFS , replacing iso1 ,nothing to do keymap
    broken forever.

    see you soon
    Andrea

  5. Re: Need help installing Mandriva 2005LE PPC on Old World Mac.

    It's a UMAX C500, 240MHZ. I will give it a try this weekend.
    Scott.
    "andrea" wrote in message
    > JS McAuley wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks Andrea,
    > > I will increase the size of the ramdrive and give it another try. I

    think
    > > that may be my problem.
    > > Scott.
    > >

    > Let me know your success or not, what kind of oldworld machine you have?
    > Last week I tried on a 4400 the 2005LE, but after language section a

    message
    > about keymap broken appeared and nothing to do only reboot. I tried

    burning
    > another cdrom, installation via NFS , replacing iso1 ,nothing to do keymap
    > broken forever.
    >

    > see you soon
    > Andrea

  6. Re: Need help installing Mandriva 2005LE PPC on Old World Mac.

    JS McAuley wrote:

    > It's a UMAX C500, 240MHZ. I will give it a try this weekend.
    > Scott.

    The 4400 is a 200 MHZ 160 mb ram, now I put a ubuntu hoary but it s terrible
    slow, I have a sonnet g3 upgrade on cache l2, but I see the only way to
    activate it it s via macos software , have a nice try and a nice weekend.
    Andrea

+ Reply to Thread