Cherry Linux multimedia USB keyboard - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Cherry Linux multimedia USB keyboard - Powerpc ; 65 U.S. dollars. Take a look. Newsforge says "Cherry has released a GPL program, keyman, to harness the extended functionality of this keyboard. Official word is that SuSE, Debian, Red Hat, and Mandrake will be directly supported. The keyman distribution ...

  1. Cherry Linux multimedia USB keyboard

    65 U.S. dollars. Take a look.

    Newsforge says "Cherry has released a GPL program, keyman, to
    harness the extended functionality of this keyboard. Official word
    is that SuSE, Debian, Red Hat, and Mandrake will be directly
    supported. The keyman distribution sent along with my keyboard
    included source code, making it a breeze to port to other
    distributions. Let me assure you that I was able to get the
    hotkeys to function despite the fact that I'm running an
    unsupported Linux flavor."

    Has keyman been ported to Debian PPC and/or YDL? OS X? Does the
    keyboard work at all on a Mac without keyman?

    --
    weird new cartoon thing soon

  2. Re: Cherry Linux multimedia USB keyboard

    Thomas Armagost wrote:
    > 65 U.S. dollars. Take a look.
    >
    > Newsforge says "Cherry has released a GPL program, keyman, to
    > harness the extended functionality of this keyboard. Official word
    > is that SuSE, Debian, Red Hat, and Mandrake will be directly
    > supported. The keyman distribution sent along with my keyboard
    > included source code, making it a breeze to port to other
    > distributions. Let me assure you that I was able to get the
    > hotkeys to function despite the fact that I'm running an
    > unsupported Linux flavor."
    >

    > Has keyman been ported to Debian PPC and/or YDL? OS X? Does the
    > keyboard work at all on a Mac without keyman?

    I don't mind the keys being in German, weil es gewoehnlich ein Bier in
    der Naehe auf meine computers gibt.

  3. Re: Cherry Linux multimedia USB keyboard

    On Friday 23 September 2005 14:24 Thomas Armagost wrote:

    Hey, come on now. Surely this is taking a leaf out of the MS book, isn't
    it? Catch for this:-

    "The free software package includes the SUSE LINUX 9.1 Special Edition with
    many programs as well as the KeyMan software, which has been specially
    adapted for the Linux operating system."

    Bill

  4. Re: Cherry Linux multimedia USB keyboard

    On Friday 23 September 2005 16:42 Paul Bramscher wrote:

    > Thomas Armagost wrote:
    >> 65 U.S. dollars. Take a look.
    >>
    >> Newsforge says "Cherry has released a GPL program, keyman, to
    >> harness the extended functionality of this keyboard. Official word
    >> is that SuSE, Debian, Red Hat, and Mandrake will be directly
    >> supported. The keyman distribution sent along with my keyboard
    >> included source code, making it a breeze to port to other
    >> distributions. Let me assure you that I was able to get the
    >> hotkeys to function despite the fact that I'm running an
    >> unsupported Linux flavor."
    >>

    >> Has keyman been ported to Debian PPC and/or YDL? OS X? Does the
    >> keyboard work at all on a Mac without keyman?

    > I don't mind the keys being in German, weil es gewoehnlich ein Bier in
    > der Naehe auf meine computers gibt.

    I don't think it's mandatory:-)

    http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/cy...ster_linux.htm
    - and click on "Product Variants"

    btw, it's that same word association again, isn't it - Linux+Germany?:-)

    Bill

  5. Re: Cherry Linux multimedia USB keyboard

    Paul Bramscher wrote:

    >I don't mind the keys being in German, weil es gewoehnlich ein Bier in
    >der Naehe auf meine computers gibt.

    Ich trinke Bier gern.

  6. Re: Cherry Linux multimedia USB keyboard

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005, Thomas Armagost wrote:
    > 65 U.S. dollars. Take a look.
    >
    > Newsforge says "Cherry has released a GPL program, keyman, to
    > harness the extended functionality of this keyboard. Official word
    > is that SuSE, Debian, Red Hat, and Mandrake will be directly
    > supported. The keyman distribution sent along with my keyboard
    > included source code, making it a breeze to port to other
    > distributions. Let me assure you that I was able to get the
    > hotkeys to function despite the fact that I'm running an
    > unsupported Linux flavor."

    I have the UK version. The keyman software did not work on SuSE 9.3. I
    have recently switched to Ubuntu Breezy and was pleasantly suprised to
    find that a lot the multimedia functions worked without any configuration
    on my part.

    This was via a USB connection which using keyman required a patched kernel
    IIRC.

    --
    Stephen Chadfield
    http://www.chadfield.com/