Motorola PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 vs GNU C Compiler - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Motorola PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 vs GNU C Compiler - Powerpc ; Hi, I have a copy of the PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 from Motorola for an embedded board with a PPC603e processor. I want to replace the compiler with the GNU toolset chain and eventually port Linux over to this board. ...

  1. Motorola PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 vs GNU C Compiler

    Hi,

    I have a copy of the PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 from Motorola for an
    embedded board with a PPC603e processor. I want to replace the
    compiler with the GNU toolset chain and eventually port Linux over to
    this board. Is the MOT Compiler actually GCC? Is the MOT compiler and
    GCC binary compatible?? Is the MOT compiler freely distributable???

    Thanks,

    Ram

  2. Re: Motorola PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 vs GNU C Compiler

    rmeenaks@olf.com wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a copy of the PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 from Motorola for an
    > embedded board with a PPC603e processor. I want to replace the
    > compiler with the GNU toolset chain and eventually port Linux over to
    > this board. Is the MOT Compiler actually GCC?

    Unlikely. Motorola has excellent PowerPC compilers, one such is MrC
    included with Apple's MPW.

    > Is the MOT compiler and
    > GCC binary compatible?? Is the MOT compiler freely distributable???

    It didn't come with a license?

    --T

    > Thanks,
    >

    > Ram

  3. Re: Motorola PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 vs GNU C Compiler

    Hi Toby,

    Its really not a matter of licenses, etc. I would much rather use the
    GCC compiler as its freely available. Distributing the motorola
    compiler freely is out of the question unfortunately. I have the same
    problem with the DIAB PowerPC compiler as well....

    Cheers,

    Ram

  4. Re: Motorola PowerPC C Compiler 1.5 vs GNU C Compiler

    rmeenaks@olf.com wrote:
    > Hi Toby,
    >
    > Its really not a matter of licenses, etc. I would much rather use the
    > GCC compiler as its freely available.

    Have you considered lcc (a complete semi-optimising ANSI C compiler)? I
    can vouch that it would not be too difficult to produce a target for
    PPC (in any flavour of assembler you want). There is existing work on a
    machine description for PPC. What do you think?

    http://www.cs.princeton.edu/software/lcc/

    > Distributing the motorola
    > compiler freely is out of the question unfortunately. I have the same
    > problem with the DIAB PowerPC compiler as well....
    >

    > Cheers,
    >
    > Ram

+ Reply to Thread