mandrake LE2005 on iBook Rev.A - Powerpc

This is a discussion on mandrake LE2005 on iBook Rev.A - Powerpc ; Hi! Did anyone manage to install Mandrake/Mandriva LE2005 on an iBook Rev.A? I was unable to set up the correct video parameters for the gui install and the text install freezes right in the first step. Help! How can I ...

  1. mandrake LE2005 on iBook Rev.A

    Hi!

    Did anyone manage to install Mandrake/Mandriva LE2005 on an iBook Rev.A?
    I was unable to set up the correct video parameters for the gui install
    and the text install freezes right in the first step. Help!

    How can I perform a manual install w/o installer program? Every useful
    hint is welcome!

    Thanks!
    Alf

  2. Re: mandrake LE2005 on iBook Rev.A

    I was able to install LE2005 perfectly in my iBook (Late 2001 Edition).
    The only thing is that
    I think Ubuntu is more compatible and needs less twiking.

    Alf wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Did anyone manage to install Mandrake/Mandriva LE2005 on an iBook Rev.A?
    > I was unable to set up the correct video parameters for the gui install
    > and the text install freezes right in the first step. Help!
    >
    > How can I perform a manual install w/o installer program? Every useful
    > hint is welcome!
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Alf

  3. Re: mandrake LE2005 on iBook Rev.A

    abpp schrieb:
    > I was able to install LE2005 perfectly in my iBook (Late 2001 Edition).
    > The only thing is that
    > I think Ubuntu is more compatible and needs less twiking.

    Thanks for your reply!

    The iBook late 2001 Edition is the white dual-USB iBook, isn't it? Mine
    is the classic 300 MHz tangerine clamshell. That might be a significant
    difference.

    However, did you perform the gui install? Did you pass additional
    parameters? ("video=ofonly" did not really help...)

    I am now planning to install 10.1 in a first step and update to 2005LE
    afterwards.

    Regards
    Alf

  4. Re: mandrake LE2005 on iBook Rev.A

    Yes, mine is the white dual-USB iBook, and I did perform the gui
    install.

    No, I didn't pass additional parameters ("video=ofonly", etc.).

    How many times did you try the install?
    Did you do try the installation in a clean/blank HD?
    Did you update the firmware first?

    Have you tried Ubuntu?

    Alf wrote:
    > abpp schrieb:
    > > I was able to install LE2005 perfectly in my iBook (Late 2001 Edition).
    > > The only thing is that
    > > I think Ubuntu is more compatible and needs less twiking.
    > >

    > Thanks for your reply!
    >
    > The iBook late 2001 Edition is the white dual-USB iBook, isn't it? Mine
    > is the classic 300 MHz tangerine clamshell. That might be a significant
    > difference.
    >
    > However, did you perform the gui install? Did you pass additional
    > parameters? ("video=ofonly" did not really help...)
    >
    > I am now planning to install 10.1 in a first step and update to 2005LE
    > afterwards.
    >
    > Regards
    > Alf

  5. Re: mandrake LE2005 on iBook Rev.A

    abpp schrieb:
    > Yes, mine is the white dual-USB iBook, and I did perform the gui
    > install.
    >
    > No, I didn't pass additional parameters ("video=ofonly", etc.).
    >
    > How many times did you try the install?
    > Did you do try the installation in a clean/blank HD?
    > Did you update the firmware first?
    >
    > Have you tried Ubuntu?

    Hi abpp,

    sorry for the late reply, me and my wife have been to Normandy for two
    weeks to relax a bit. We really enjoyed french wine, fish, crustaceans,
    and goat cheese. Now, everyday life got us back...

    I think I will stick to my Mandrake 9.1 ppc for a while. All my hardware
    is supported and the system is pretty stabile. Why give it up for a few
    software updates?

    Thanks anyway for your efforts!

    Best regards
    Alf