    Thanks!

    HYC

  2. Re: CrossOver Office on LinuxPPC?

    On 2005-08-18, Hsuan-Yeh Chang wrote:

    > Has anyone tried CrossOver Office on a Linux PowerPC? This
    > would be a way to run Windows application on PowerPC machines..

    Crossover Office depends on Wine. From http://www.winehq.org:

    "Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code
    to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows
    programs to run on x86-based Unixes [...]"
    ^^^

    So I think you're out of luck. I think you'd be out of luck anyway,
    since Windows apps are not compiled for the ppc arch; you'd need an x86
    (or any other arch that Windows supports) hardware emulator on a PPC
    platform before thinking of using something like wine. In theory I
    suppose you could get the source and compile it for ppc, but at that
    point is it really worth it?

    What's the purpose of your question? Do you wish to run a specific app
    on linux-ppc? Perhaps there's another solution.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  3. Re: CrossOver Office on LinuxPPC?

    In article ,
    Hsuan-Yeh Chang writes:

    > Has anyone tried CrossOver Office on a Linux PowerPC? This
    > would be a way to run Windows application on PowerPC machines..

    This won't work; CrossOver Office is an x86-only application (based on
    WINE) for running x86-only applications. If you want to run Windows
    applications on PowerPC machines, you'll need a CPU emulator, such as
    Bochs (http://bochs.sourceforge.net). The last I checked, this did run on
    Linux for PowerPC, but I don't use it much because my PPC machine is
    pretty elderly and therefore runs an x86 emulator very slowly.

    That said, I have heard of some plans to integrate an x86 emulator with
    WINE to run Windows applications from non-x86 platforms. I'm afraid I
    don't have a URL, though, and I don't know if any projects to do this are
    actually producing real code or if it's just somebody's pipe dream. You
    could try a Web search, though.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  4. Re: CrossOver Office on LinuxPPC?

    > What's the purpose of your question? Do you wish to run a specific app
    > on linux-ppc? Perhaps there's another solution.
    >
    > --keith

    The real reason why I'm asking is that my wife has a PowerG3
    running OS 9.1. Since in these days, no one is updating application
    for use in OS 9.1, I am thinking of installing either Debian or
    debian-derived linux on it so that my wife can use at least the
    most up-to-date web browser (Firefox). Further, if the Linux
    installation can run Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator, it will
    be the best. Since I have a copy of those software in Windows
    version only, so I started this thread...

    The presumption is that we don't want to spend a whole lot of
    money on purchasing new software, just for upgrading to OS X...

    HYC

  5. Re: CrossOver Office on LinuxPPC?

    In article ,
    Hsuan-Yeh Chang writes:

    > The real reason why I'm asking is that my wife has a PowerG3
    > running OS 9.1. Since in these days, no one is updating application
    > for use in OS 9.1, I am thinking of installing either Debian or
    > debian-derived linux on it so that my wife can use at least the
    > most up-to-date web browser (Firefox). Further, if the Linux
    > installation can run Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator, it will
    > be the best. Since I have a copy of those software in Windows
    > version only, so I started this thread...
    >
    > The presumption is that we don't want to spend a whole lot of
    > money on purchasing new software, just for upgrading to OS X...

    Chances are the machine isn't fast enough to run Windows in an x86
    emulator like Bochs at sufficient speed to run new Windows programs. You
    can, though, install Linux and run Linux-native programs. You can also use
    Linux's PowerPC virtual machine software, Mac-on-Linux (MoL;
    http://www.maconlinux.org) to run Mac OS 9.x programs. (MoL actually runs
    MacOS in a virtual machine environment, but because it doesn't need to run
    a CPU emulator, it provides good speed. It's similar to Mac OS X's Classic
    environment.)

    Overall, I don't see any legal way of doing what you want without spending
    some money on new hardware and/or software. If you're willing to accept
    open source alternatives for some or all of the software you want to run,
    though, you can reduce the costs a lot, and maybe eliminate them all. The
    GIMP (http://www.gimp.org) is an oft-cited open source alternative to
    Photoshop, but I can't guarantee it'll do everything you want. If you post
    a list of other critical applications, people may be able to point you to
    Linux-native alternatives.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  6. Re: CrossOver Office on LinuxPPC?

    On 2005-08-19, Hsuan-Yeh Chang wrote:

    > The real reason why I'm asking is that my wife has a PowerG3
    > running OS 9.1. Since in these days, no one is updating application
    > for use in OS 9.1, I am thinking of installing either Debian or
    > debian-derived linux on it so that my wife can use at least the
    > most up-to-date web browser (Firefox). Further, if the Linux
    > installation can run Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator, it will
    > be the best. Since I have a copy of those software in Windows
    > version only, so I started this thread...

    Hmm. Presumably your wife is currently not running Photoshop and/or
    Illustrator on her OS 9 machine. If she is, then you can upgrade to
    OS X and run them in Classic, or use linux and run them in MOL. If
    not, then you're not really talking about replacing her software, but
    adding new software. In that case, I'd put Windows on the x86 box you
    probably have lying around (you don't have the software without the
    hardware, eh?), let her use that when she needs those programs, and have
    her use linux and/or OS X on her G3 for everything else.

    > The presumption is that we don't want to spend a whole lot of
    > money on purchasing new software, just for upgrading to OS X...

    As others have mentioned, there are open-source programs that duplicate
    some of what Photoshop does. I don't know a similar program for
    Illustrator (I don't even know what Illustrator does), but you can check
    freshmeat.net to see if such a program exists.

    In summary:

    --if she runs Photoshop and/or Illustrator in OS 9, she can continue to
    run them in Classic or MOL
    --if she doesn't use them in OS 9, but elsewhere, have her continue to
    run them elsewhere

    Not the ideal solutions, obviously, but perhaps they'll be sufficient.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  7. Re: CrossOver Office on LinuxPPC?

    Keith Keller wrote in message
    :

    > As others have mentioned, there are open-source programs that duplicate
    > some of what Photoshop does. I don't know a similar program for
    > Illustrator

    For Illustrator, there is Inkscape, but it is not fully compatible.

    bli

  8. Re: CrossOver Office on LinuxPPC?

    Rod Smith wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Chances are the machine isn't fast enough to run Windows in an x86
    > emulator like Bochs at sufficient speed to run new Windows programs. You
    > can, though, install Linux and run Linux-native programs. You can also use
    > Linux's PowerPC virtual machine software, Mac-on-Linux (MoL;
    > http://www.maconlinux.org) to run Mac OS 9.x programs. (MoL actually runs
    > MacOS in a virtual machine environment, but because it doesn't need to run
    > a CPU emulator, it provides good speed. It's similar to Mac OS X's Classic
    > environment.)
    >
    > Overall, I don't see any legal way of doing what you want without spending
    > some money on new hardware and/or software. If you're willing to accept
    > open source alternatives for some or all of the software you want to run,
    > though, you can reduce the costs a lot, and maybe eliminate them all. The
    > GIMP (http://www.gimp.org) is an oft-cited open source alternative to
    > Photoshop, but I can't guarantee it'll do everything you want. If you post
    > a list of other critical applications, people may be able to point you to
    > Linux-native alternatives.

    Thanks for providing so many useful info. However, it looks to me that the
    best solution now is to keep the way it is, i.e. running OS 9.1 + Adobe
    products as it is, and meanwhile suffering for the inconvenience of old
    browsers...

  9. Re: CrossOver Office on LinuxPPC?

    > Thanks for providing so many useful info. However, it looks to me that the
    > best solution now is to keep the way it is, i.e. running OS 9.1 + Adobe
    > products as it is, and meanwhile suffering for the inconvenience of old
    > browsers...

    FYI -- there was a decent Mozilla released for OS/9. That's what my
    wife uses.

    http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~harunaga/mozilla-macos9/
    http://www.wamcom.org/latest-131/

    Jon
    ----
    Learn to program using Linux x86 assembly language
    http://www.cafeshops.com/bartlettpublish.8640017

+ Reply to Thread