Blackdog - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Blackdog - Powerpc ; Unless somebody has actually seen this, I think it is a hoax; or at least it wouldn't work as described here. How would it take control of the console, specificallt the monitor? Does it us virtual machine software on the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Blackdog

  1. Blackdog



    Unless somebody has actually seen this, I think it is a hoax; or at
    least it wouldn't work as described here.

    How would it take control of the console, specificallt the monitor? Does
    it us virtual machine software on the host platform? The company Web
    site doesn't say.

    Otherwise, what do you think of the device?

    --
    Andrew J. Brehm
    Marx Brothers Fan
    PowerPC/Macintosh User
    Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches

  2. Re: Blackdog

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:06:43 +0100, Andrew J. Brehm wrote:

    >
    >
    > Unless somebody has actually seen this, I think it is a hoax; or at
    > least it wouldn't work as described here.
    >
    > How would it take control of the console, specificallt the monitor? Does
    > it us virtual machine software on the host platform? The company Web
    > site doesn't say.


    From the discussion on Slashdot, it's not as sinister as that, and it does
    work. It presents itself to the USB host as a umass (disk storage)
    device, and Windows sees an AUTORUN program there, which starts a
    full-screen X11 server, which communicates back over the usb cable with
    the box, using a network protocol. Presumably your Windows session would
    still be there, underneath, and probably accessible with alt-tab.

    Haven't seen one myself, but it sounds pretty neat.

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew


  3. Re: Blackdog

    On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 13:06:11 +1000,
    Andrew Reilly , in
    wrote:

    >+ From the discussion on Slashdot, it's not as sinister as that, and it does
    >+ work. It presents itself to the USB host as a umass (disk storage)
    >+ device, and Windows sees an AUTORUN program there, which starts a
    >+ full-screen X11 server, which communicates back over the usb cable with
    >+ the box, using a network protocol.


    Damn, that's clever.

    >+ Haven't seen one myself, but it sounds pretty neat.


    I was thinking that would be pretty cool to have. Now I think I'll
    definitely obtain one at some point.

    James
    --
    Consulting Minister for Consultants, DNRC
    I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow
    isn't looking good, either.
    I am BOFH. Resistance is futile. Your network will be assimilated.

  4. Re: Blackdog

    Andrew Reilly wrote:

    > On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 19:06:43 +0100, Andrew J. Brehm wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >
    > > Unless somebody has actually seen this, I think it is a hoax; or at
    > > least it wouldn't work as described here.
    > >
    > > How would it take control of the console, specificallt the monitor? Does
    > > it us virtual machine software on the host platform? The company Web
    > > site doesn't say.

    >
    > From the discussion on Slashdot, it's not as sinister as that, and it does
    > work. It presents itself to the USB host as a umass (disk storage)
    > device, and Windows sees an AUTORUN program there, which starts a
    > full-screen X11 server, which communicates back over the usb cable with
    > the box, using a network protocol. Presumably your Windows session would
    > still be there, underneath, and probably accessible with alt-tab.
    >
    > Haven't seen one myself, but it sounds pretty neat.
    >


    It does indeed. And it's not very epensive either.

    Unfortunately, they appear to want to patent it.

    --
    Andrew J. Brehm
    Marx Brothers Fan
    PowerPC/Macintosh User
    Supporter of Chicken Sandwiches

  5. Re: Blackdog

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:

    > I was thinking that would be pretty cool to have. Now I think I'll
    > definitely obtain one at some point.


    Yeah... that's cool, but as some one said: It's a cool answer looking
    for a problem. What would you use it for? A USB-stick and a Live-CD
    would get you much of this already.

    Now... if the thing also was a smart-phone ... that would be useful.

    Peter

+ Reply to Thread