NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON? - Powerpc ; Thanks to these two: http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php and http://www.gvs9000.com/workstations.html and others, we will continue to have non-Apple PPC workstations and servers, but what about non-Apple PPC laptops? How soon you think we will get one?...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 35

  1. NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    Thanks to these two:

    http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php

    and

    http://www.gvs9000.com/workstations.html

    and others, we will continue to have non-Apple PPC
    workstations and servers, but what about non-Apple PPC
    laptops?

    How soon you think we will get one?

  2. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    In article <1123480602.817012.173900@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    "abpp" wrote:

    > Thanks to these two:
    >
    > http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php
    >
    > and
    >
    > http://www.gvs9000.com/workstations.html
    >
    > and others, we will continue to have non-Apple PPC
    > workstations and servers, but what about non-Apple PPC
    > laptops?
    >
    > How soon you think we will get one?

    Personally I'll never get one ... well, not until someone makes a hack
    that lets you use the Mac OS on it. :-)

  3. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    In article <080820051848411193%anybody@anywhere-anytime.com>, Anybody
    wrote:

    > In article <1123480602.817012.173900@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > "abpp" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks to these two:
    > >
    > > http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php
    > >
    > > and
    > >
    > > http://www.gvs9000.com/workstations.html
    > >
    > > and others, we will continue to have non-Apple PPC
    > > workstations and servers, but what about non-Apple PPC
    > > laptops?
    > >
    > > How soon you think we will get one?

    > Personally I'll never get one ... well, not until someone makes a hack
    > that lets you use the Mac OS on it. :-)

    the first url looks like a slower and more expensive mac mini: 1gz g4,
    80g hd, dvdr, all for just $799 or just the motherboard for $499.

    the second url appears to be a rebadged mac which can run osx (and
    looks like it ships that way too):

    http://www.gvs9000.com/gvs90002ug5spec.html

    Running on the most powerful operating systems in the industry, Mac
    OS X and Linux, GVS9000 G5 offers users the utmost in expansion
    capability

    it even has an optional airport extreme card!

    and this model even runs os 9 in addition to osx (and linux):

    http://www.gvs9000.com/gvs90apg4wor4.html

  4. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 03:27:17 -0500, nospam wrote (in article
    <080820050127178004%nospam@nospam.invalid>):

    > the first url looks like a slower and more expensive mac mini: 1gz g4, 80g
    > hd, dvdr, all for just $799 or just the motherboard for $499.
    >
    > the second url appears to be a rebadged mac which can run osx (and looks
    > like it ships that way too):
    >
    > http://www.gvs9000.com/gvs90002ug5spec.html
    >
    > Running on the most powerful operating systems in the industry, Mac OS X
    > and Linux, GVS9000 G5 offers users the utmost in expansion capability
    >
    > it even has an optional airport extreme card!
    >
    > and this model even runs os 9 in addition to osx (and linux):
    >
    > http://www.gvs9000.com/gvs90apg4wor4.html

    And......

    Running Mac OS X on these machines is in direct violation of the license
    agreement one agrees to when installing OS X which prohibits the installation
    on any but an Apple branded computer.

    --
    James L. Ryan -- TaliesinSoft

  5. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    nospam wrote:

    > In article <080820051848411193%anybody@anywhere-anytime.com>, Anybody
    > wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1123480602.817012.173900@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > > "abpp" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks to these two:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php
    > > >
    > > > and
    > > >
    > > > http://www.gvs9000.com/workstations.html
    > > >
    > > > and others, we will continue to have non-Apple PPC
    > > > workstations and servers, but what about non-Apple PPC
    > > > laptops?
    > > >
    > > > How soon you think we will get one?

    > > Personally I'll never get one ... well, not until someone makes a hack
    > > that lets you use the Mac OS on it. :-)

    Well... using Mac-on-Linux (), I think you
    already could.

    > the first url looks like a slower and more expensive mac mini: 1gz g4,
    > 80g hd, dvdr, all for just $799 or just the motherboard for $499.

    The Mini's pretty competitive with this. But a look at
    shows the Pegasos box has a lot
    more in the way of ports & expandability than the Mini. Whether that's
    important is an individual decision.

    But... laptops? I wouldn't bet on it. Even aside from technical
    considerations, it really doesn't look like either of these companies
    would be interested.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.

  6. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    The other nice thing I am noticing with the Pegasos is that $799.00
    is 650.00, much unlike Apple where $499 is 539 (for the same
    configuration mac mini)

  7. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    In article <0001HW.BF1CC99C003160E6F0284550@news.supernews.com>,
    TaliesinSoft wrote:

    > On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 03:27:17 -0500, nospam wrote (in article
    > <080820050127178004%nospam@nospam.invalid>):
    >
    > > the first url looks like a slower and more expensive mac mini: 1gz g4, 80g
    > > hd, dvdr, all for just $799 or just the motherboard for $499.
    > >
    > > the second url appears to be a rebadged mac which can run osx (and looks
    > > like it ships that way too):
    > >
    > > http://www.gvs9000.com/gvs90002ug5spec.html
    > >
    > > Running on the most powerful operating systems in the industry, Mac OS X
    > > and Linux, GVS9000 G5 offers users the utmost in expansion capability
    > >
    > > it even has an optional airport extreme card!
    > >
    > > and this model even runs os 9 in addition to osx (and linux):
    > >
    > > http://www.gvs9000.com/gvs90apg4wor4.html

    > And......
    >
    > Running Mac OS X on these machines is in direct violation of the license
    > agreement one agrees to when installing OS X which prohibits the installation
    > on any but an Apple branded computer.

    Probably not. There have been a couple companies selling rackmountable
    servers using motherboards from Apple for several years.

  8. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    Anybody wrote:
    > In article <1123480602.817012.173900@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > "abpp" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks to these two:
    > >
    > > http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php
    > >
    > > and
    > >
    > > http://www.gvs9000.com/workstations.html
    > >
    > > and others, we will continue to have non-Apple PPC
    > > workstations and servers, but what about non-Apple PPC
    > > laptops?
    > >
    > > How soon you think we will get one?

    > Personally I'll never get one ... well, not until someone makes a hack
    > that lets you use the Mac OS on it. :-)

    Why?? The whole point of the ALTERNATIVE is to keep using the PPC even
    when
    Apple betrayed its own beliefs.

  9. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    nospam wrote:
    > In article <080820051848411193%anybody@anywhere-anytime.com>, Anybody
    > wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1123480602.817012.173900@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > > "abpp" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks to these two:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php
    > > >
    > > > and
    > > >
    > > > http://www.gvs9000.com/workstations.html
    > > >
    > > > and others, we will continue to have non-Apple PPC
    > > > workstations and servers, but what about non-Apple PPC
    > > > laptops?
    > > >
    > > > How soon you think we will get one?

    > > Personally I'll never get one ... well, not until someone makes a hack
    > > that lets you use the Mac OS on it. :-)

    > the first url looks like a slower and more expensive mac mini: 1gz g4,
    > 80g hd, dvdr, all for just $799 or just the motherboard for $499.

    Well, it is not a competition (yet). Besides, this is just the first of
    many (I hope)
    PPC machines alternative to Apple's.

    > the second url appears to be a rebadged mac which can run osx (and
    > looks like it ships that way too)...

    Well, they started like that. But they will keep the design and
    continue making
    and selling PPC workstations and servers.

    > http://www.gvs9000.com/gvs90002ug5spec.html
    >
    > Running on the most powerful operating systems in the industry, Mac
    > OS X and Linux, GVS9000 G5 offers users the utmost in expansion
    > capability
    >
    > it even has an optional airport extreme card!
    >
    > and this model even runs os 9 in addition to osx (and linux):
    >
    > http://www.gvs9000.com/gvs90apg4wor4.html

  10. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    In article <1123563917.608275.314690@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    "abpp" wrote:

    > Anybody wrote:
    > > In article <1123480602.817012.173900@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > > "abpp" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks to these two:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php
    > > >
    > > > and
    > > >
    > > > http://www.gvs9000.com/workstations.html
    > > >
    > > > and others, we will continue to have non-Apple PPC
    > > > workstations and servers, but what about non-Apple PPC
    > > > laptops?
    > > >
    > > > How soon you think we will get one?

    > > Personally I'll never get one ... well, not until someone makes a hack
    > > that lets you use the Mac OS on it. :-)

    > Why?? The whole point of the ALTERNATIVE is to keep using the PPC even
    > when Apple betrayed its own beliefs.

    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

    You appear to be arguing that Macs should still be running Motorola
    MC68K-family processors.

    Pretty silly.

  11. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    "abpp" wrote:

    > Anybody wrote:
    > > In article <1123480602.817012.173900@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    > > "abpp" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Thanks to these two:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.pegasosppc.com/odw.php
    > > >
    > > > and
    > > >
    > > > http://www.gvs9000.com/workstations.html
    > > >
    > > > and others, we will continue to have non-Apple PPC
    > > > workstations and servers, but what about non-Apple PPC
    > > > laptops?
    > > >
    > > > How soon you think we will get one?

    > > Personally I'll never get one ... well, not until someone makes a hack
    > > that lets you use the Mac OS on it. :-)

    > Why?? The whole point of the ALTERNATIVE is to keep using the PPC even
    > when Apple betrayed its own beliefs.

    Since Apple ARE switching to Intel and WILL stop development of PowerPC
    Mac OS probably a couple of years later (if not sooner), it's
    completely pointless having a computer just because it has a PowerPC
    chip when all the software needs Mac OS.

  12. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    On 2005-08-09 09:38:41 +0300, Anybody said:

    > In article <1123563917.608275.314690@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups. com>,
    > "abpp" wrote:
    >
    >> Anybody wrote:

    >>> Personally I'll never get one ... well, not until someone makes a hack
    >>> that lets you use the Mac OS on it. :-)

    >> Why?? The whole point of the ALTERNATIVE is to keep using the PPC even
    >> when Apple betrayed its own beliefs.

    > Since Apple ARE switching to Intel and WILL stop development of PowerPC
    > Mac OS probably a couple of years later (if not sooner), it's
    > completely pointless having a computer just because it has a PowerPC
    > chip when all the software needs Mac OS.

    Hmm, so its pointless to buy a iMac or iBook, anything mac too.

    While being completely against intel decision, I don't think Apple will
    drop ppc OS X that easy.

    Well.. I hope. It doesn't mean if it happens, I will go and cry to
    Apple. I will donate this g5 desktop to a school/university and move to
    AMD64+Windows.

    Ilgaz

  13. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    Copyright law forbids you to make copies of a copyrighted work without
    permission and for purposes that are not covered by your right to
    create backup copies or fair use or other applicable provisos.

    I don't know if any US law says that you must accept an agreement you
    did not sign and didn't read before you bought the product.

    I know that such "licence agreements" are not enforceable in the EU.

    I won't have a problem running Mac OS X on a non-Apple PowerPC box. If
    Apple want to stop me, they will merely use a customer for both their
    hardware and their software. It's their choice. It should be mine.

  14. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    s/"use a customer"/"lose a customer"/g

  15. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    In article <3lr6eqF13up83U1@individual.net>, Ilgaz Ocal
    wrote:

    > Hmm, so its pointless to buy a iMac or iBook, anything mac too.
    >
    > While being completely against intel decision, I don't think Apple will
    > drop ppc OS X that easy.
    >
    > Well.. I hope. It doesn't mean if it happens, I will go and cry to
    > Apple. I will donate this g5 desktop to a school/university and move to
    > AMD64+Windows.

    AMD = loser

  16. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    In article <3lrvdnF13m92tU1@individual.net>,
    Rob Perkins wrote:

    > Aren't the G4's and G5's descendents of the MC68K family?

    No. PowerPCs are descendants of the CPUs IBM used to use in their
    RS/6000 workstations. Those CPUs were later known as the POWER
    architecture. The m68k is unrelated. This is the main reason why the
    switch from m68k to PowerPC was such a big deal in the Mac world-- it
    was an entirely different architecture.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  17. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    Tom Harrington wrote:
    > In article <3lrvdnF13m92tU1@individual.net>,
    > Rob Perkins wrote:
    >

    >>Aren't the G4's and G5's descendents of the MC68K family?

    > No. PowerPCs are descendants of the CPUs IBM used to use in their
    > RS/6000 workstations. Those CPUs were later known as the POWER
    > architecture. The m68k is unrelated. This is the main reason why the
    > switch from m68k to PowerPC was such a big deal in the Mac world-- it
    > was an entirely different architecture.

    Ah, got it. I remember the RS/6000's. Nice hardware for its time; nasty
    OS. With a NeXT cube sitting right next to it I almost never used the IBM.

    Rob

  18. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    Tom Harrington wrote:
    > In article <3lrvdnF13m92tU1@individual.net>,
    > Rob Perkins wrote:
    >

    >>Aren't the G4's and G5's descendents of the MC68K family?

    > No. PowerPCs are descendants of the CPUs IBM used to use in their
    > RS/6000 workstations. Those CPUs were later known as the POWER
    > architecture. The m68k is unrelated. This is the main reason why the
    > switch from m68k to PowerPC was such a big deal in the Mac world-- it
    > was an entirely different architecture.

    Actually, POWER was the name in the RS6K, PowerPC was derivative of it.
    The first PowerPC was faithfull to the full instruction set, later
    models dropped some instructions and started breaking things.

    So, just to be clear, it was not 'later known as'.

    Cheers.

  19. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    In article <11fllp4o3dt7s03@corp.supernews.com>,
    "Timothy J. Bogart" wrote:

    > Tom Harrington wrote:
    > > In article <3lrvdnF13m92tU1@individual.net>,
    > > Rob Perkins wrote:
    > >

    > >>Aren't the G4's and G5's descendents of the MC68K family?

    > > No. PowerPCs are descendants of the CPUs IBM used to use in their
    > > RS/6000 workstations. Those CPUs were later known as the POWER
    > > architecture. The m68k is unrelated. This is the main reason why the
    > > switch from m68k to PowerPC was such a big deal in the Mac world-- it
    > > was an entirely different architecture.
    > >

    > Actually, POWER was the name in the RS6K, PowerPC was derivative of it.
    > The first PowerPC was faithfull to the full instruction set, later
    > models dropped some instructions and started breaking things.
    >
    > So, just to be clear, it was not 'later known as'.

    If you're sure of that, you should head over to
    and correct the entry for PowerPC
    there.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    Version 2.0: Delocalize, Repair Permissions, lots more.
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  20. Re: NON-APPLE PPC LAPTOP SOON?

    Tom Harrington wrote:
    > In article <11fllp4o3dt7s03@corp.supernews.com>,
    > "Timothy J. Bogart" wrote:
    >

    >>Tom Harrington wrote:

    >>>No. PowerPCs are descendants of the CPUs IBM used to use in their
    >>>RS/6000 workstations. Those CPUs were later known as the POWER
    >>>architecture. The m68k is unrelated. This is the main reason why the
    >>>switch from m68k to PowerPC was such a big deal in the Mac world-- it
    >>>was an entirely different architecture.
    >>>

    >>Actually, POWER was the name in the RS6K, PowerPC was derivative of it.
    >> The first PowerPC was faithfull to the full instruction set, later
    >>models dropped some instructions and started breaking things.
    >>
    >>So, just to be clear, it was not 'later known as'.

    > If you're sure of that, you should head over to
    > and correct the entry for PowerPC
    > there.

    Wow. I will look at what it takes to get that fixed.

    Note that if you follow the link to POWER, they get it right. Sigh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast