LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN?? - Powerpc

This is a discussion on LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN?? - Powerpc ; Is there a solution to provide Java support to Firefox and Mozilla under Linux and PPC? I know there is a v1.3.1 Java/Plugin from Blackdown, but Firefox and Mozilla requires v1.4.x or better. IBM has a JRE/SDK v1.4.x but they ...

  1. LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN??

    Is there a solution to provide Java support to Firefox and Mozilla
    under Linux and PPC? I know there is a v1.3.1 Java/Plugin from
    Blackdown, but Firefox and Mozilla requires v1.4.x or better. IBM has a
    JRE/SDK v1.4.x but they have no plugin.

    Any ideas?

  2. Re: LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN??

    abpp wrote:
    > Is there a solution to provide Java support to Firefox and Mozilla
    > under Linux and PPC? I know there is a v1.3.1 Java/Plugin from
    > Blackdown, but Firefox and Mozilla requires v1.4.x or better. IBM has a
    > JRE/SDK v1.4.x but they have no plugin.
    > Any ideas?

    Got it covered. Check the following URLS:
    For firefox:
    http://www.thecodefactory-data.org/mozilla/
    The java plugin is included in the just out new 1.5 IBM beta jre, works great:
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...jdk/index.html

  3. Re: LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN??

    Currently, the only way to get java in a browser on PPC/Linux is to use
    Opera.
    The current version is 8.5 and is easily available.

  4. Re: LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN??

    David Gurvich wrote:
    > Currently, the only way to get java in a browser on PPC/Linux is to use
    > Opera.
    > The current version is 8.5 and is easily available.

    Fairly sure the latest beta of Java 1.5 from IBM includes a
    Mozilla/Firefox plugin too... I have it installed on my Ubuntu PPC box,
    but not in front of me right now to check.

  5. Re: LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN??

    On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:02:26 +0100, Tomasz Mierzejewski
    wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:41:25 GMT
    > "David Gurvich" wrote:
    >
    >> Currently, the only way to get java in a browser on PPC/Linux is to
    >> use Opera.
    >> The current version is 8.5 and is easily available.

    > You are wrong. Java 1.5 from IBM works excellent with my Firefox.
    >
    > TM

    Hi there.
    Where did you get the firefox for liuxppc?
    As I looked at firefox official site, they have the latest version only
    for linux-x86.

    Bodhi

  6. Re: LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN??

    On 2005-11-24, bodhi wrote:
    > Where did you get the firefox for liuxppc?
    > As I looked at firefox official site, they have the latest version only
    > for linux-x86.

    Last time I wanted firefox for linux PPC, I had to build it myself.
    Give yourself a few hours.

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  7. Re: LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN??

    Keith Keller wrote:
    > Last time I wanted firefox for linux PPC, I had to build it myself.
    > Give yourself a few hours.

    slackintosh 10.1 has a firefox package in the extra directory, which is
    firefox 1.0.4. it appears i have a firefox package of 1.0.6, but i do not
    recall where i got it. it doesn't seem to be in the 10.1 patches
    directory...

    --
    Joost Kremers joostkremers@yahoo.com
    EN:SiS(9)

  8. Re: LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN??

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 19:05:31 +0100, Joost Kremers
    wrote:

    > slackintosh 10.1 has a firefox package in the extra directory,
    > which is
    > firefox 1.0.4. it appears i have a firefox package of 1.0.6, but
    > i do not
    > recall where i got it. it doesn't seem to be in the 10.1 patches
    > directory...

    I have SLKtosh 10.2, but I think that if I can get the script that build
    the packet for 10.1, it will work on 10.2...
    Only that someone must to do this... and I was hoping not to be me

    Thanks for the tip anyway...

  9. Re: LINUX+PPC+FIREFOX+JAVA PLUGIN??

    Joost Kremers wrote:
    > Keith Keller wrote:
    >> Last time I wanted firefox for linux PPC, I had to build it myself.
    >> Give yourself a few hours.

    > slackintosh 10.1 has a firefox package in the extra directory, which is
    > firefox 1.0.4. it appears i have a firefox package of 1.0.6, but i do not
    > recall where i got it. it doesn't seem to be in the 10.1 patches
    > directory...

    The PPC flavours of Ubuntu and Mandriva also have Firefox packages,
    FWIW... I got 1.0.7 for Ubuntu yesterday.

+ Reply to Thread