I'm trying to get a PCI-USRobotics Modem (Yes, it is a true hardware
modem) working in a G4. Initially the kernels oops'd on bootup, but
after recompiling the kernel with the 8250 and serial_core as modules I
could get the machine up and running.

Everything looks good with lspci -vv. I see the card, and it has an
allocated IO address (0x1020) and IRQ (53). It is disabled (I/O-), but I
understand the serial driver will enable it when it is found. There are
no ttyS* devices, but I also understand that these will be automagically
created by the driver/udev system when the module has been correctly loaded.

The problem is when I try to "modprobe 8250_pci". I get the following
error message:

WARNING: Error inserting 8250
(/lib/modules/2.6.10enrock.2/kernel/drivers/serial/8250.ko): No such device
FATAL: Error inserting 8250_pci
(/lib/modules/2.6.10enrock.2/kernel/drivers/serial/8250_pci.ko): Unknown
symbol in module, or unknown parameter (see dmesg)

The appropriate lines from dmesg are:

serial8250_init: nothing to do on PowerMac
8250_pci: Unknown symbol serial8250_unregister_port
8250_pci: Unknown symbol serial8250_resume_port
8250_pci: Unknown symbol serial8250_register_port
8250_pci: Unknown symbol serial8250_suspend_port

Which to me appear to be errors due to the fact that the 8250 (a
dependancy of 8250_pci) doesn't load. I believe the real problem is the
"No Such Device" message issued by the 8250 module. The "serial_core"
module (a dependancy of 8250) seems to be correctly loaded as it shows
up with a lsmod. I get the same results whether I enable the PCI card
(via "setpci -d 12b9:1008 command=1") before the modprobe or not.

I am currently dual-booting this machine with YDL (2.3??), and the modem
works fine there. Of course it is using the 2.4.X kernel so I suspect
something has changed in the new 2.6.X modules. I will probably try
compiling a 2.4.X kernel, but ..

Can anyone help me get this card working with the 2.6.X kernel stream?

If you need any further details, can correct any of my assumptions, or
believe you know of a resource I may not have already read, please let
me know.

Thanks in advance for any help,

George