CD Burning - Powerpc

This is a discussion on CD Burning - Powerpc ; This must seem like a ridiculous question but here goes. How do you check the md5sum? Is it done from Linux or MacOS? If from linux, how can one be expected to do it if you have no linux installation ...

  1. CD Burning

    This must seem like a ridiculous question but here goes. How do you
    check the md5sum? Is it done from Linux or MacOS? If from linux, how
    can one be expected to do it if you have no linux installation yet?
    kk

  2. Re: CD Burning

    Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > How do you
    > check the md5sum? Is it done from Linux or MacOS?

    I answer here, bookmark this

    Along with iso images (for example foo.iso) there is always a file called
    foo.md5 or similar. Inside there there is an alphanumeric value like this:

    dc36329c6400345cb2d013c144e55de2

    So to check if the iso is correct, you should have the same md5sum.
    To check it you can use the md5sum command (I think in the OSX shell it is
    present, just try it):

    $ md5sum foo.iso

    or, if you have the .md5 file, put it along with the iso and issue

    $ md5sum -c foo.md5

    Ok? Further questions?

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  3. Re: CD Burning

    In article <116i1nv83005u99@corp.supernews.com>,
    jim bob and joe bob writes:

    > This must seem like a ridiculous question but here goes. How do you
    > check the md5sum? Is it done from Linux or MacOS? If from linux, how
    > can one be expected to do it if you have no linux installation yet?

    You need a program to compute the MD5 sum. In Linux, this program is
    called md5sum, and is usually installed by default. Offhand, I'm not sure
    if it's included with Mac OS (it might be included with Mac OS X, but I
    doubt if it's included with pre-X versions of Mac OS). Try a Google search
    on "md5sum MacOS" if it's not installed on your system.

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  4. Re: CD Burning

    jim bob and joe bob wrote:
    > This must seem like a ridiculous question but here goes. How do you
    > check the md5sum? Is it done from Linux or MacOS? If from linux, how
    > can one be expected to do it if you have no linux installation yet?
    > kk

    Mac OS X doesn't offer md5sum (yet) but you can actually calculate the
    md5 checksum by invoking the following command in a Terminal:

    $ openssl md5 your.iso

    compare the output to the one (named your.iso.md5) located on the server
    where you downloaded the image.
    IMPORTANT: Calculate the checksum _before_ you mount the image (e.g.
    Disk Copy)

    dominik

  5. Re: CD Burning

    dominik heer wrote:
    > jim bob and joe bob wrote:
    >
    >> This must seem like a ridiculous question but here goes. How do you
    >> check the md5sum? Is it done from Linux or MacOS? If from linux, how
    >> can one be expected to do it if you have no linux installation yet?
    >> kk
    >>

    > Mac OS X doesn't offer md5sum (yet) but you can actually calculate the
    > md5 checksum by invoking the following command in a Terminal:
    >
    > $ openssl md5 your.iso
    >
    > compare the output to the one (named your.iso.md5) located on the server
    > where you downloaded the image.
    > IMPORTANT: Calculate the checksum _before_ you mount the image (e.g.
    > Disk Copy)
    >
    > dominik

    Thanks. I would like to point out that if one does not already have a
    running linux system recommending md5sum is a little silly. In
    practice, I have had trouble burning cds that work but I do not believe
    it has been because of corrupted downloads. Rather it has been operator
    malfunction or just using the wrong burning software.
    kk

  6. Re: CD Burning

    Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > I would like to point out that if one does not already have a
    > running linux system recommending md5sum is a little silly.

    It is not true. The fact that an utility is not installed by default does
    not mean it is useless.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  7. Re: CD Burning

    Jack Malmostoso writes:

    >Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    >> I would like to point out that if one does not already have a
    >> running linux system recommending md5sum is a little silly.

    >It is not true. The fact that an utility is not installed by default does
    >not mean it is useless.

    especially as it is also available on other systems.
    eg the very first item when I googled for md5sum was a download for
    windows.

  8. Re: CD Burning

    On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:47:27 +0200,
    dominik heer , in
    wrote:

    >+ Mac OS X doesn't offer md5sum (yet)

    Maybe not.

    % which md5sum
    /sw/bin/md5sum

    This is on a 10.3.7 machine. I did install the developer's CD, the one
    containing GCC, so that may be where it came from.

    James
    isn't looking good, either.

  9. Re: CD Burning

    I R A Darth Aggie wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:47:27 +0200,
    > dominik heer , in
    > wrote:
    >

    >>+ Mac OS X doesn't offer md5sum (yet)

    > Maybe not.
    >
    > % which md5sum
    > /sw/bin/md5sum
    >
    > This is on a 10.3.7 machine. I did install the developer's CD, the one
    > containing GCC, so that may be where it came from.
    >
    > James

    Is it possible that you have fink installed on your system? The path /sw
    sound like. But I might be misinformed since I don't use fink anymore.
    By the way: I guess the non-developer version of OS X also comes with gcc.

    Dominik

  10. Re: CD Burning

    Unruh wrote:
    > Jack Malmostoso writes:
    >

    >>Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    >>>I would like to point out that if one does not already have a
    >>>running linux system recommending md5sum is a little silly.

    >>It is not true. The fact that an utility is not installed by default does
    >>not mean it is useless.

    > especially as it is also available on other systems.
    > eg the very first item when I googled for md5sum was a download for
    > windows.

    Windows? Wash your mouth out with soap!! I have not yet found a
    version for pre X macs.
    kk

  11. Re: CD Burning

    On 4/25/2005 10:39 PM, jim bob and joe bob said:

    >> especially as it is also available on other systems. eg the very first
    >> item when I googled for md5sum was a download for
    >> windows.
    >>

    > Windows? Wash your mouth out with soap!! I have not yet found a
    > version for pre X macs.
    > kk

    However there are some versions of Python for MacOS 9, for example, and
    there is a python MD5-checking script.

    David H

  12. Re: CD Burning

    David Harrison wrote:
    > On 4/25/2005 10:39 PM, jim bob and joe bob said:
    >
    >>> especially as it is also available on other systems. eg the very
    >>> first item when I googled for md5sum was a download for
    >>> windows.
    >>>

    >> Windows? Wash your mouth out with soap!! I have not yet found a
    >> version for pre X macs.
    >> kk

    > However there are some versions of Python for MacOS 9, for example, and
    > there is a python MD5-checking script.
    >
    > David H

    I have Python. I installed it to try and run bittorrent but failed to
    make it work. Not sure what I did wrong.
    kk

  13. Re: CD Burning

    Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > I have Python. I installed it to try and run bittorrent but failed to
    > make it work. Not sure what I did wrong.

    Use Azureus.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  14. Re: CD Burning

    Jack Malmostoso wrote:
    > Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:
    >

    >>I have Python. I installed it to try and run bittorrent but failed to
    >>make it work. Not sure what I did wrong.

    > Use Azureus.

    I guess I need to be more specific with my rantings. What I have found
    is that if you start from MacOS pre X system and try to go to Linux
    there is one hurdle after another to be surmounted. The iso images are
    difficult to burn. The X-windows configuration is a real pain. Python
    failed me for reason(s) that I do not understand. Azureus seems to not
    be available for pre X MacOS. Besides it is a Java app and Java on the
    Mac is notoriously flawed.
    On the other hand, if you succeed in getting Linux to run on one of
    these antiquated machines it does run very nicely. There are still
    problems to overcome. I have yet to get any sound at all. Not sure
    why. Xcdroast will not find my burner because it is IDE, not SCSI. Cds
    mount just fine from the file system, just no burning. The last word on
    that was that at least a 2.4 kernal was necessary, which I am running.
    Much of the information for previous kernals involves compiling a kernal
    with custom features. Compiling a kernal (for me at least) would be
    another steep learning curve. It is probably something I will learn if
    I live long enough.
    I guess my point is that even though the people on this list are helpful
    to the extreme, getting Linux up and running on an old mac in any kind
    of useful configuration does not seem to be for a novice.
    That's my rant and I'm sticking to it.
    kk

  15. Re: CD Burning

    Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > I guess I need to be more specific with my rantings.

    [cut]

    Well, I didn't know you are not using OSX, on an "old" mac
    Actually I know there is a way to run bittorrent on OS9, but I don't
    remember where I read it.

    As for linux: the first point you have to make very clear when trying
    something new is that it will be *different*.
    I switched to linux 3 years ago and never looked back, but I perfectly
    understand that other people might not find it as good as I find it, and
    more than this I understand that many people DON'T WANT to read *anything*
    before using a computer. I don't agree with that behaviour, but that's the
    way it is.
    To use linux in a quick and proficient way, you have to learn a bit of its
    inner mechanics. Period.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  16. Re: CD Burning

    Jack Malmostoso wrote:
    > Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:
    >

    >>I guess I need to be more specific with my rantings.

    > [cut]
    >
    > Well, I didn't know you are not using OSX, on an "old" mac
    > Actually I know there is a way to run bittorrent on OS9, but I don't
    > remember where I read it.
    >
    > As for linux: the first point you have to make very clear when trying
    > something new is that it will be *different*.
    > I switched to linux 3 years ago and never looked back, but I perfectly
    > understand that other people might not find it as good as I find it, and
    > more than this I understand that many people DON'T WANT to read *anything*
    > before using a computer. I don't agree with that behaviour, but that's the
    > way it is.
    > To use linux in a quick and proficient way, you have to learn a bit of its
    > inner mechanics. Period.

    I mostly agree with you Jack. I have learned quite a bit about linux
    already. Some I have read. Some has been with your help and the help
    of others here. Some from experimenting with the system.
    What I was getting at with all this was that it can be daunting for one
    to try linux from little or no knowledge of it. Many of the tricks that
    get suggested are really beyond the ability of a complete novice.
    I think we agree: the learning curve is steep to begin with.
    Until linux is as easy to install as MacOS or at least as easy as
    Windoze its user base will grow slowly.
    kk

  17. Re: CD Burning

    Ciao jim bob and joe bob, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > I think we agree: the learning curve is steep to begin with.
    > Until linux is as easy to install as MacOS or at least as easy as
    > Windoze its user base will grow slowly.

    I think you have been "unlucky" to start your linux experience with a
    tricky machine as an old mac can be.
    On a newworld machine (not to speak of x86 arch) you would have probably
    felt much more comfortable and much better assisted: unfortunately the ppc
    scene got "alive" in the last year or so and support for older machines is
    hard to find, since few people ran linux on those machines.
    I can suggest you to google in the linux.debian.ports.powerpc archive:
    that is the usenet gateway to the debian-ppc list, which is full of good
    advice. Maybe you can find some useful information there.
    Hope it helps!

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

+ Reply to Thread