Burning ISO image to CD - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Burning ISO image to CD - Powerpc ; I've been trying to burn the Ubuntu ISO image I downloaded on to a CD. I've used Disk Utility 10.4.4 and DiscBlaze 4.4.4. The CD I get is useless with both. I cannot boot Ubuntu. Can anyone guess what I'm ...

  1. Burning ISO image to CD

    I've been trying to burn the Ubuntu ISO image I downloaded on to a CD. I've
    used Disk Utility 10.4.4 and DiscBlaze 4.4.4. The CD I get is useless with
    both. I cannot boot Ubuntu. Can anyone guess what I'm doing wrong with the
    CD burning?
    OS: MacOS 10.3.9
    System: Dual 1.8 GHz G5 with 1.5 GB RAM
    Burner: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D

    TIA

  2. Re: Burning ISO image to CD

    Ciao Oscar A. Moreno, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > Can anyone guess what I'm doing wrong with the
    > CD burning?

    Did you check the md5sum of the iso? It could be corrupt and not booting
    correctly.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  3. Re: Burning ISO image to CD

    In article ,
    "Oscar A. Moreno" writes:

    > I've been trying to burn the Ubuntu ISO image I downloaded on to a CD. I've
    > used Disk Utility 10.4.4 and DiscBlaze 4.4.4. The CD I get is useless with
    > both. I cannot boot Ubuntu. Can anyone guess what I'm doing wrong with the
    > CD burning?
    > OS: MacOS 10.3.9
    > System: Dual 1.8 GHz G5 with 1.5 GB RAM
    > Burner: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D

    In addition to the corrupt image possibility mentioned by another poster
    (more probable, in fact), there's the possibility that you burned the
    image file as a single file on a new ISO-9660 filesystem on the disc. This
    is the wrong way to do it; you should instead locate an option in your
    CD-R software for burning an image file as such. It's probably called
    "burn image file," "create CD-R from ISO image," or something similar.
    Some programs will handle it right if you launch them by doing a
    drag-and-drop of the .iso file to the program icon.

    To check whether this is the case, insert the CD-R you've burned and look
    at its contents. If the problem is what I'm suggesting, you'll see the
    ..iso file you downloaded sitting alone on the CD-R. If you burned it
    correctly, you'll see a bunch of files and directories. (I don't know
    exactly what comes with the standard Ubuntu disc, so I can't be more
    precise than this.)

    --
    Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
    http://www.rodsbooks.com

  4. Re: Burning ISO image to CD

    Thanks to ALL who provided feedback. The problem was on how I was burning
    the CD. I found the correct way and now everything is working fine.

    Thanks again.

    On 4/22/05 07:56, in article BE8E5E43.159DC%oscar.moreno@att.net, "Oscar A.
    Moreno" wrote:

    > I've been trying to burn the Ubuntu ISO image I downloaded on to a CD. I've
    > used Disk Utility 10.4.4 and DiscBlaze 4.4.4. The CD I get is useless with
    > both. I cannot boot Ubuntu. Can anyone guess what I'm doing wrong with the
    > CD burning?
    > OS: MacOS 10.3.9
    > System: Dual 1.8 GHz G5 with 1.5 GB RAM
    > Burner: Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D