Compiling a new kernel on oldworld with a Debian Woody (2.2.x) - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Compiling a new kernel on oldworld with a Debian Woody (2.2.x) - Powerpc ; Hello, After compiling and installing a new kernel (2.4.x) on my PowerMac 6500, I can boot it with BootX but my keyboard doesn't match anything ! For example : key->gives U->d I->g 5(not on the numpad)->i O->s etc ... So ...

  1. Compiling a new kernel on oldworld with a Debian Woody (2.2.x)

    Hello,

    After compiling and installing a new kernel (2.4.x) on my PowerMac 6500,
    I can boot it with BootX but my keyboard doesn't match anything !
    For example : key->gives U->d I->g 5(not on the numpad)->i O->s etc ...

    So it's very difficult to log on and quite impossible to use it.

    I don't use any Ram image disk because it's not needed to run original
    kernel and binary kernel 2.4.18 that I've just installed.

    Something's missing in my .config file ????

    Any ideas ?

  2. Re: Compiling a new kernel on oldworld with a Debian Woody (2.2.x)

    "newsman" writes:
    > After compiling and installing a new kernel (2.4.x) on my PowerMac 6500,
    > I can boot it with BootX but my keyboard doesn't match anything !
    > For example : key->gives U->d I->g 5(not on the numpad)->i O->s etc ...
    >
    > So it's very difficult to log on and quite impossible to use it.
    >
    > I don't use any Ram image disk because it's not needed to run original
    > kernel and binary kernel 2.4.18 that I've just installed.
    >
    > Something's missing in my .config file ????

    Do you use the ADB keyboard? If so you have two options:

    - the ADB keyboard (and mouse) will be available from the input subsystem
    and emulate a PS/2 PC keyboard of 105 key layout. (this is preferred)

    - the ADB keyboard can also be configured to emit raw ADB keycodes and
    the console keyboard configuration will need to be setup appropriately
    (old style, don't use any longer if possible)

    I do unfortunately currently only have PMacs with kernel 2.6.x near me
    and it seems the latter option has finally been removed from the kernel
    source. Therefore the corresponding part of the .config file looks like
    this:

    ====8<================================================== ==========
    #
    # Macintosh device drivers
    #
    CONFIG_ADB=y
    CONFIG_ADB_CUDA=y
    CONFIG_ADB_PMU=y
    # CONFIG_PMAC_PBOOK is not set
    # CONFIG_PMAC_BACKLIGHT is not set
    # CONFIG_MAC_SERIAL is not set
    CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
    CONFIG_INPUT_ADBHID=y
    CONFIG_MAC_EMUMOUSEBTN=y
    # CONFIG_THERM_WINDTUNNEL is not set
    # CONFIG_THERM_ADT746X is not set
    # CONFIG_ANSLCD is not set
    ====8<================================================== ==========

    CONFIG_INPUT_ADBHID requires to also have CONFIG_INPUT=y and
    CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y.

    If you need this does depend on what distribution you use and what the
    setting in the original kernel is. If you told us which distribution you
    installed someone with the same dist could perhaps tell you how to
    configure the console keyboard layout.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  3. Re: Compiling a new kernel on oldworld with a Debian Woody (2.2.x)

    have a look at this:

    http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes

    Dominik

    newsman wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > After compiling and installing a new kernel (2.4.x) on my PowerMac 6500,
    > I can boot it with BootX but my keyboard doesn't match anything !
    > For example : key->gives U->d I->g 5(not on the numpad)->i O->s etc ...
    >
    > So it's very difficult to log on and quite impossible to use it.
    >
    > I don't use any Ram image disk because it's not needed to run original
    > kernel and binary kernel 2.4.18 that I've just installed.
    >
    > Something's missing in my .config file ????
    >
    > Any ideas ?

  4. Re: Compiling a new kernel on oldworld with a Debian Woody (2.2.x)

    I ran into a similar problem when attempting to install YDL 3.0.1. The
    installer got to a certain point (I can't remember exactly where) and
    the keyboard was remapped. There was a default to go back a step where
    the installation could be aborted but there was no apparant way to
    continue on.
    kk

    newsman wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > After compiling and installing a new kernel (2.4.x) on my PowerMac 6500,
    > I can boot it with BootX but my keyboard doesn't match anything !
    > For example : key->gives U->d I->g 5(not on the numpad)->i O->s etc ...
    >
    > So it's very difficult to log on and quite impossible to use it.
    >
    > I don't use any Ram image disk because it's not needed to run original
    > kernel and binary kernel 2.4.18 that I've just installed.
    >
    > Something's missing in my .config file ????
    >
    > Any ideas ?

  5. Re: Compiling a new kernel on oldworld with a Debian Woody (2.2.x)

    dominik heer a écrit :
    > have a look at this:
    >
    > http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes
    >
    > Dominik
    >
    > newsman wrote:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> After compiling and installing a new kernel (2.4.x) on my PowerMac 6500,
    >> I can boot it with BootX but my keyboard doesn't match anything !
    >> For example : key->gives U->d I->g 5(not on the numpad)->i O->s etc ...
    >>
    >> So it's very difficult to log on and quite impossible to use it.
    >>
    >> I don't use any Ram image disk because it's not needed to run original
    >> kernel and binary kernel 2.4.18 that I've just installed.
    >>
    >> Something's missing in my .config file ????
    >>
    >> Any ideas ?

    It was the good way so I managed to do it work again !
    Thx to Thomas & Dominik

    However I have to compile with ADB support but not ADB Keymap.
    Unless, there are no keyboard entries detected !!!!
    I'll try to compile a 2.6 kernel to see
    Here's an sample from my .config file :

    CONFIG_ADB=y
    CONFIG_ADB_CUDA=y