Starting out w/ LinuxPPC - Powerpc

This is a discussion on Starting out w/ LinuxPPC - Powerpc ; I'm thinking about getting an iBook for my next computer, but I had a few questions: 1) Is it hard to install Linux on a preformatted iBook? Would I have to go through and repartition and then re-install both OSX ...

  1. Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    I'm thinking about getting an iBook for my next computer, but I had a
    few questions:

    1) Is it hard to install Linux on a preformatted iBook? Would I have to
    go through and repartition and then re-install both OSX and Linux?

    2) Has anyone tried the stuff from TerraSoft? Is it worthwhile to let
    them configure your PPC boxes?

    3) Can OSX and Linux read each other's partitions?

    Anyway, it's a big purchase, so I'm trying to look before I leap.
    Hopefully, after playing with it for a little while, I can come out with
    a PowerPC edition of my assembly language book, Programming from the
    Ground Up!

    Jon
    ----
    Learn to program using Linux assembly language
    http://www.cafeshops.com/bartlettpublish.8640017

  2. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    I forgot -- which distributions are actually functional on PPC? Which
    are most recommended?

  3. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    Ciao Jonathan Bartlett, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > I forgot -- which distributions are actually functional on PPC? Which
    > are most recommended?

    In brief: try Ubuntu's livecd and see if linux fits your needs. If yes,
    then make room on your HD and install it, if not, you will not have wasted
    your time.

    As for YDL: I used it for a while, but Ubuntu/Debian are far better. Never
    tried YDL 4, though.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  4. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:37:29 -0400, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

    > I'm thinking about getting an iBook for my next computer, but I had a
    > few questions:
    >
    > 1) Is it hard to install Linux on a preformatted iBook?

    No, for live CDROMs or distributions like Mandrake, ...
    Can be harder if you try Debian or Gentoo (but if you follow the
    documentation, you should have no problem with those distribs).

    > Would I have to
    > go through and repartition and then re-install both OSX and Linux?

    No for a test with a live CDROM.
    Yes if you really want to install it on your hard drive.

    > 2) Has anyone tried the stuff from TerraSoft? Is it worthwhile to let
    > them configure your PPC boxes?

    I did not.

    > 3) Can OSX and Linux read each other's partitions?

    Linux can read/write Mac OS X partitions (HFS and HFS+, but not UFS).
    Mac OS X cannot read/write ext2/ext3/reiserfs. HFS+ is a good format for
    an exchange partition.

    > Anyway, it's a big purchase, so I'm trying to look before I leap.
    > Hopefully, after playing with it for a little while, I can come out with
    > a PowerPC edition of my assembly language book, Programming from the
    > Ground Up!

    Everything about PowerPC is freely available:
    Fast overview:

    Complete references:

    There are also tons of other documentation on IBM and freescale web
    servers, including (documented) code examples.

  5. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    l'indien writes:

    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:37:29 -0400, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
    > > 3) Can OSX and Linux read each other's partitions?

    > Linux can read/write Mac OS X partitions (HFS and HFS+, but not UFS).
    > Mac OS X cannot read/write ext2/ext3/reiserfs. HFS+ is a good format for
    > an exchange partition.

    There is a third party extension (or whatever they are called) that
    allows OSX to read ext2 at the least. I did try it a while back on my
    7600/200 where is run OSX (using XPostFacto) to control my filmscanner
    (the 7600/200 mostly runs linux0. It did work, but I did not retain
    it in the system. See the following:

    I opted to use a HFS+ partition for exchange as you suggested above.

    --
    Stephen Harker Stephen.Harker@spme.monash.edu.au
    School of Physics & Materials Engineering

  6. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    Jonathan Bartlett writes:

    > I'm thinking about getting an iBook for my next computer, but I had a
    > few questions:
    >
    > 1) Is it hard to install Linux on a preformatted iBook? Would I have to
    > go through and repartition and then re-install both OSX and Linux?
    >
    > 2) Has anyone tried the stuff from TerraSoft? Is it worthwhile to let
    > them configure your PPC boxes?
    >
    > 3) Can OSX and Linux read each other's partitions?

    I'm using Debian, and very happy with it. All i can tell.

    --
    William

  7. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    Jack Malmostoso wrote:

    > In brief: try Ubuntu's livecd and see if linux fits your needs. If yes,
    > then make room on your HD and install it, if not, you will not have wasted
    > your time.
    >
    > As for YDL: I used it for a while, but Ubuntu/Debian are far better. Never
    > tried YDL 4, though.

    Wat live CD for iMac G5 wirless mouse and keybord please ?

    --
    jpb ***** www.yglix.com ******
    http://jeanpierre.becker.free.fr/usine/index.html

  8. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    Ciao jpb, nel tuo messaggio dicevi:

    > Wat live CD for iMac G5 wirless mouse and keybord please ?

    Tough question. I never studied the subject so I can't tell you: the
    easiest way I think is to borrow USB peripherals to give a try.
    Maybe try googling a bit on this.

    --
    On Oct 5 1991, 8.53 AM; Linus Benedict Torvalds said:
    >I can (well, almost) hear you asking yourselves "why?". Hurd will be
    >out in a year (or two, or next month, who knows), and I've already got
    >minix.

  9. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:22:18 +1000, Stephen Harker wrote:

    > l'indien writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:37:29 -0400, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
    >> > 3) Can OSX and Linux read each other's partitions?

    >> Linux can read/write Mac OS X partitions (HFS and HFS+, but not UFS).
    >> Mac OS X cannot read/write ext2/ext3/reiserfs. HFS+ is a good format for
    >> an exchange partition.

    > There is a third party extension (or whatever they are called) that
    > allows OSX to read ext2 at the least. I did try it a while back on my
    > 7600/200 where is run OSX (using XPostFacto) to control my filmscanner
    > (the 7600/200 mostly runs linux0. It did work, but I did not retain
    > it in the system. See the following:
    >

    > I opted to use a HFS+ partition for exchange as you suggested above.

    I tried this extension once and it destroyed my ext2 filesystem.
    I did not want to mention it as it seems to be dansgerous...

  10. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 10:22:18 +1000, Stephen Harker
    wrote in
    :

    > l'indien writes:
    >
    >> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:37:29 -0400, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
    >> > 3) Can OSX and Linux read each other's partitions?

    >> Linux can read/write Mac OS X partitions (HFS and HFS+, but not UFS).
    >> Mac OS X cannot read/write ext2/ext3/reiserfs. HFS+ is a good format for
    >> an exchange partition.

    > There is a third party extension (or whatever they are called) that
    > allows OSX to read ext2 at the least.

    I'm using it and it can read and write to my ext3 volume as well without
    problems so far.

    (I'm using OS X and Ubuntu)

    --
    Kind regards, | Jabber : michel@jabber.xs4all.nl (MSN/ICQ in headers)
    | Website: http://michel.klijmij.net/
    | GPG key: 0x8A43CF30
    Michel Klijmij | E-mail : michel@klijmij.net

  11. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    wrote in <426518ae$1@news.tulsaconnect.com>:

    > I'm thinking about getting an iBook for my next computer, but I had a
    > few questions:
    >
    > 1) Is it hard to install Linux on a preformatted iBook? Would I have to
    > go through and repartition and then re-install both OSX and Linux?

    No and yes. No, it's not hard, but yes, you will probably need to
    repartition and reinstall.

    > 2) Has anyone tried the stuff from TerraSoft? Is it worthwhile to let
    > them configure your PPC boxes?

    I have given YDL, both 3 and 4, serious tries, but always found them slow
    and buggy compared to alternatives like Mandrake and Ubuntu. There isn't
    as much software available for YDL as there is for Ubuntu, too. So go for
    Ubuntu, I'd say. You don't even need to download, they ship CD's for free.
    http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

    > 3) Can OSX and Linux read each other's partitions?

    Linux can read OS X partitions, OS X can read ext2/3 (but nor Reiser) with
    a 3rd party extention. Safest is to keep a HFS partition for sharing
    files, though.

    --
    Kind regards, | Jabber : michel@jabber.xs4all.nl (MSN/ICQ in headers)
    | Website: http://michel.klijmij.net/
    | GPG key: 0x8A43CF30
    Michel Klijmij | E-mail : michel@klijmij.net

  12. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    I'll try not to repeat what's already been written.

    On 2005-04-19, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:

    > 1) Is it hard to install Linux on a preformatted iBook? Would I have to
    > go through and repartition and then re-install both OSX and Linux?

    It's not hard--the first thing I did when I got a new iBook was to
    repartition and reinstall. If you start using OS X, then decide you
    want to repartition, you can use parted, which recently added HFS+
    resize support.

    If you repartition and reinstall, install OS X first, so that it doesn't
    mess around with the OpenFirmware boot parameters that linux will set.

    > 3) Can OSX and Linux read each other's partitions?

    Linux can read OSX, but not vice-versa. Keep in mind that HFS and HFS+
    are different, and linux has had more difficulty with the newer HFS+. If
    you're going to use a shared partition, it's best to stick with HFS. (Or
    possibly even vfat, though I haven't used vfat with OS X.) Perhaps HFS+
    support in the kernel has improved since I last used it (about 2 years
    ago).

    --keith

    (try just my userid to email me)

  13. Re: Starting out w/ LinuxPPC

    In article <1gvb4mc.16gg80y10ifyhrN%jeanpierre.becker@free.fr>,
    jeanpierre.becker@free.fr (jpb) wrote:

    > Jack Malmostoso wrote:
    >
    > > In brief: try Ubuntu's livecd and see if linux fits your needs. If yes,
    > > then make room on your HD and install it, if not, you will not have wasted
    > > your time.
    > >
    > > As for YDL: I used it for a while, but Ubuntu/Debian are far better. Never
    > > tried YDL 4, though.

    > Wat live CD for iMac G5 wirless mouse and keybord please ?

    If you mean bluetooth, then I think either should work. I've had no
    trouble using bluetooth on my powerbook under either YDL or Ubuntu.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread