booting from YDL 4.0.1 cd - Powerpc

This is a discussion on booting from YDL 4.0.1 cd - Powerpc ; I have an old rev.b iMac that I am trying to install Linux on. The machine came with the 233Mhz but was later upgraded with a 466 via an iMaxPower chipset. I'm starting to believe that this may have changed ...

  1. booting from YDL 4.0.1 cd

    I have an old rev.b iMac that I am trying to install Linux on. The
    machine came with the 233Mhz but was later upgraded with a 466 via an
    iMaxPower chipset. I'm starting to believe that this may have changed
    the firmware so that I cannot boot from a CD. I have created a set of
    install discs based on the YDL 4.0.1 orion iso bundle, but have been
    unable to get the imac to boot from the disc with the 'c' key or with
    the command-option-shift-delete combination. In fact the only way I can
    boot from my MacOS 9.2.1 disc is through the 'Startup Disc' control
    panel.

    Has anyone heard of such a problem or know of another way to install
    Linux onto this imac?

  2. Re: booting from YDL 4.0.1 cd

    Your machine is an Old World Mac. You must to use BootX copied in your
    mac partition. It's and application, and the docs for how to install is
    in Internet. try to search BootX in google.

    Hope this help

    Pietro Pesci Feltri

  3. Re: booting from YDL 4.0.1 cd

    Thanks Pietro, this did get me on the right track. I have finally got
    the iMac partitioned correctly and have BootX running but I have no
    clue how to install YDL. I want the machine to run soley on YDL with no
    Mac partition. Is this possible?

+ Reply to Thread